Heart rate is crazy high

(KCKO, KCFO) #22

If you haven’t done so listen to Episode 43 Optimizing Nutrition with Marty Kendall
and visit his website to learn what is in your foods. Lots of keto foods have good potassium amounts. You could be over doing potassium between what you eat and what you supplement. A sign of too much potassium is rapid heart beat. However, one of the things keto does is improve your metabolism, which would raise your heart rate when resting and doing regular activities.

Hoping you get medical support on this issue soon.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

Here’s one video with Dr. Phinney taking about salt intake. This is not the one I was looking for, in which he goes into more depth, but he does mention the source of the data: https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=19s&v=2KYYnEAYCGk The discussion of sodium is at 18:00.

One of the articles he mentions is to be found at http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1311889

Hi Rebecca,
I was wondering if you found out what is causing the heart rate issue, I’m kind of having the same problem was hoping to find an insight, will lower my potassium intake today to see the outcome. Hope you’re feeling better :slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

After listening to the Dudes’ latest podcast with @TomSeest and @Brenda, I would encourage anyone with an elevated heart rate to see a doctor right away. Tom’s story is so frightening I couldn’t listen to it all.

Brenda, Tom, you are both very tough, very brave people. Wow!

(Rebecca Vaughan) #26

wow that sounds scary! What happened?

(Rebecca Vaughan) #27

hi! I went to the doc and he didn’t seem to think it was a problem but I also think he thought I was exaggerating, and also doesn’t understand how sensitive people with ME are and how any physiological change to our bodies can really mess us up, I tried to persevere with it as per his advice but then a couple of days later I started to get asthma! I haven’t had asthma in 20 years! So I quit. I stated again a couple of days ago after joining a facebook group who suggested that I was too low in protein, I ate 30 grams more protein per day and within two days the HR at gone up and the asthma was back :frowning: Keto is too scary and uncertain for me. it’s such a shame because I did notice some really good results too.

My resting heart rate has also elevated since starting keto, but not by much. I drink A LOT of water (a gallon is generally the bare minimum for me and has been for years – I think I am addicted to water), so I will keep a watch on my rate over the next few days. I’m not currently intentionally replenishing electrolytes – is there a preferred way to do this? Is there an all-in-one supplement?

(VLC.MD) #29

Anyone using a Fitbit ? Who just started Keto ? Does the heart rate data show an increase ?

(Brian) #30

I’ve noticed some variation at different times but overall, mine has gone down. Before starting keto, I was in the 70s and maybe 80s a lot of the time, which I always thought was high for a resting rate.

Mostly, I’ve been in the 50s and 60s at rest lately, which seems a little more like what it’s supposed to be.

I have one, and that’s where I’m getting my info. Mine has gone up about 3 bpm since starting according to FitBit.

I have an OUra ring which is similar, my RHR sleeping the last few nights has been 64-65, its usually 54-55.

I read somewhere this could be a Selenium deficiency, Ill be taking that tonight to see if it works.

I feel ya! I like almost everything about Keto (excpe t the dry skin around my eyes… but I can live with that) but if it messes with my cardiac health Ill have to say goodbye :cry:

(Tom Seest) #35

Since you’re stuck on your own (practically) for the next 2 years, here are some things that I can recommend that you try:

1. Find a good electronic Blood Pressure Cuff. You may already have one. Take your BP while sitting, leave it attached, and take it immediately upon standing. What you are looking for is to see whether the Systolic or Diastolic humber is changing significantly. You want to start logging this, and noting changes based on your salt, diet, etc. You’re looking for patterns.

2. I had to resort to wearing a heart rate belt 24x7, as I wanted to key in on stress. I think you’ll probably want the data too. I’d recommend the Wahoo TICKR+ (has memory), because it’s capable of measuring the heart rate in a very sensitive fashion. In my case, it can get me numbers from the upper and lower chambers when I pair it with Elite HRV on my iPhone. That App is for Heart Rate Variability. What you’re noticing is that the heart is very responsive to stress, so you can track this with apps like this. Another app that I use is Heart Graph. If you don’t have a phone, their are PC equivalents.

3. If you are having a heart issue, a good device to purchase is the AliveCor Kardia which will allow you to run single lead ECG’s on demand when you are having an incident. Their service allows you to email it to a Cardiologist for a reading if you want to get a third party opinion. This device is very good at detecting heart rhythm abnormalities.

I wish you luck. CFS can be very difficult and complex to reverse and unravel.

Let me know if you have any questions.

(Tom Seest) #36

Oddly, I never thought of my story as frightening but I guess it could be seen that way.

In my bike riding days, I’d ride with an elevated heart rate for hours. But, the heart got a break at some point.

But, I created a baseline environment for healing and let the body work it’s magic. Hopefully, it’ll work out.

But, I’ll live with whatever happens. (or not)

Thanks for listening.

(Edith) #37

It could be not enough salt. I have to take 4.5g of salt a day. More probably wouldn’t hurt. I also drink an organic vegetarian bouillon “tea” for the salt. It tastes pretty good, much better than drinking salt water.

Edith

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #38

KETO had nothing to do with @tdseest or my heart rhythm or rate developing or getting worse.

The ketogenic diet HELPED our condition. And I’ve had my issues since my teenage years. I certainly wasn’t on the ketogenic diet in 1976! I’m 54 FFS. Tom developed his after he was on the ketogenic diet for a year or two. His heart clearly was injured by pnuemonia.

Careful not to scare potential ketoers who we are trying to reach and help by suggesting me and Tom’s heart conditions were caused by the ketogenic diet.

I hope that’s not what any of you were thinking.

We’re trying to save type 2 diabetics. I don’t want to lose even one with misinformation.
:slight_smile:

(Rebecca Vaughan) #39

thanks so much for your response Tom, I do have an HR monitor (Polar H7) which I wear all day, and it’s how I know my HR was going crazy starting day 4 of the diet.

BP monitor is a good one, i’ll look into that.

I also use the HRV app, it tells me when to slow down as you know, which is useful but sometimes its readings seem quite random and not related to anything.

My main problems are I hear lots of people saying more salt, and others saying more potassium - I personally think neither were responsible, I had an electrolyte test and all my levels were good. I wish I had a solid understanding of which and what I should be taking and which causes what, there’s so much conflicting advice over electrolytes and how much water we should be drinking. The other thing, and I think this is more likely, was that it was stressing my adrenals, or heart or something, not having the carbs, and because I’m so fragile/sensitive, I can’t risk putting my body under more stress, I could make myself bedridden for weeks or even forever! My normal diet is a moderate carb paleo diet, that seems to help, I eat a starchy carb every other evening meal, and that’s all I seem to need, but going lower, into keto was just too much.

How do I counteract the stress I was putting my body/adrenals underwithout just waiting it out? is it even possible?

Also, the asthma, why on earth woudl the stress give me asthma, somoene someone somewhere said keto creates some kind of temporary oxygen-deficient state, why is this? What is the mechanism of this and can that give me asthma or is it something else?

thanks again

(Tom Seest) #40

I can’t speak to some of these issues as I acknowledge what I don’t understand.

Have you had the heart checked out?

Magnesium levels checked out?

(Rebecca Vaughan) #41

i have had EEG and EKG and my heart is ok, doc thinks there’s not a problem, but he doesn’t understand ME and sadly no one really understands whats broken, other than we have some kind of mitochnodrial and metabolic failings… I have had mag test and its fine, but i coudln’t get a mag RBC test (in canada), I take 300mg of mag malate a day, vit d, omega 3, beef liver pills, PQQ, co Q10,