Heart rate during Keto adaptation

heartrate
ketoadaptation

(Mike W.) #8

Mine was definitely elevated for the first few weeks. Now it’s back to “normal” for me and between 65-67 resting according to my Fitbit.

(Jan) #9

My blood pressure has been high for 35 years. Two months in, I was able to halve my meds. Now 2 months this more, and it’s getting low again. If it stays where it is today, 110/72, I may get off bp meds altogether… Woooohooooooo!!!

(Christina Hansen) #10

My blood pressure has always been low-ish (100/70 or 110/75) but my resting heart rate was 90-100.

I just had my blood pressure taken yesterday at the Dr. and it was 92/63 and my heart rate was 71. Pretty good!

Though I do sometimes wonder if my low BP is why I have difficulty fasting more than 48 hours, even with really good hydration and lots of salt.

(Jen H) #11

When I first went into ketosis my heart rate was quite High. After about a week, I found myself in more normal ranges. I’m not sure what causes it, but I think has something to do with changing from a sugar burner to a fat burner.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #12

Mine is normal now. 3 years ago when before I started keto I was hypertensive (high blood pressure)

BONUS

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #13

Oh lord, I hear ya. Those “looks” I would get, as if I were a freak. My heart rate has been unusually fast since my teens.
I suspect insulin resistance started in my teens even though I was slim and athletic (swim team, track, motocross , barrel racer w/ a quarter horse) I was strong as hell and lean as all get out. I started gaining in my 20’s, diagnosed T2DM at age 36.

I am no longer diabetic. I’m 53.

(Dominic Lahar) #14

Old thread I know, but I tend to find when doing keto that my heart rate is initially higher, sleep more disturbed, and BP is higher for about a week. For example:
Resting HR pre-keto: ~55bpm
Starting keto: ~62bpm
Week later: ~55bpm

In cardio, where it counts, I find high intensity interval training initially compromised until keto-adapted. This usually takes the form of unable to complete my last couple minute sprints on the treadmill at 10mph. After a week of adaptation, this is restored and I find I can do so as well as air it out for a longer continuous run at 70-80% max effort with greater ease than not on keto.

I don’t tend to do keto for more than a few weeks at a time and tend to do a more typical intermittent fasting (IF) approach most of the week (skipping breakfast) along with high carb eating 36-48 hours post weight training before back to IF. I find this works well for me (late 30s, male, ~10-12% bodyfat) in terms of preserving muscle mass and physique. Going keto for a few weeks drops me under the 10% bodyfat and the linea alba becomes visible turning my 4 pack to a 6 pack, but overall performance at the gym WRT strength training tends to suffer. The personal records become fewer and eventually stop.

In summary, I think my HR and aerobic performance is generally better on keto after a week of adaptation, but tend not to do keto due to the slightly negative tradeoff with strength gains.

(Ethan) #15

I’m a s similar note, when fasting for more than 2 days, my heart rate goes to 50 or below now. 20 years ago, I was an athlete with a resting heart rate of 38

@Brenda How long did it take for your heart rate to go down? Mine is just as high, and it has always bothered me like crazy ( I also work out quite a bit, so can’t blame it on being sedentary either). I have been keto for over 9 months now (years on low carb before that). I know I am fat adapted, with ketones consistently between 1.8 and 3 (except when I fast when they are between 4 and 6), but my heart rate remains just as fast. I guess i just wanted to know if it took you longer than this, maybe i still have hope.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #17

As soon as I was in ketosis I noticed a change. My heart used to race when I was a glucose burner, even at night as I was trying to fall asleep. That stopped with keto. I guess I didn’t fully realize I had a more normal resting heartrate rate until I started tracking it closely. About a year and a half ago. It gets even lower when I fast. I checked last night too. This makes me VERY happy!!
I bought this pulse oximeter last year ($15 half price online) Recently my son showed me that my Galaxy s7 edge cell phone has a pulse oximeter on it! Who knew??! Not me!

And my cell phone pulse oximeter. Just now.

(Boston_guy) #18

The Oura ring tracks HR during the night, and lowest rate achieved in the night. Easy way to gather data.

(Cinnamin Long Herring) #19

I am in the adaptation phase and my heart rate is up which is why I did a search to find out if that was normal.

(Robert Williams) #20

My resting heart rate is normally 41-43 bpm, and I was paleo, not keto. I cut my carbs down to 15-20% and my heart resting rate spiked to 53 (I know, but its high for me). It scared me the first time so I went and ate some clean carbs :D. I’m going to still with it (its been about 2 weeks), measure keytones, and let you know how it goes.

I was very concerned about this, because this week my heart rate has been really high. I wear a Fitbit Blaze. Yesterday my heart rate went up to 170 during lunch that lasted 3 minutes. Now that I’m going back to check on my resting heart rate, I can see that it’s been going up by 1 everyday since I started keto. I had already been on low-carb for about a month, and my heart rate had remained in the high 60s.

Since the spike happened during lunch, I blamed it on the salt and the company I was having lunch with. :worried:

Thank you so much for sharing! This is exactly the type of information I was looking for. I’ll be keeping an eye on my heart rate. It brings me hope that once my resting heart rate comes back down it means I’m fat adapted. :smiley:

(Reina ) #22

I wish I had found this site before spending 5 hours in the ER while on an out-of-town trip to Nashville this past weekend. I was 6 days into the Ketogenic Diet.

We were sitting the Federal Courtroom during my son’s High School State Mock Trial Competition when I felt the significant rise in my heart rate. Checking on my Apple Watch, I found it was 88 BPM. Normal is 60-66 while resting. I knew I was not flustered by the Trial, so I shifted in my seat and began slow breathing exercises in an attempt to bring it down. 90 BPM. I tried ignoring it and refocusing on the Trial for about 20 minutes. It continued to remain high and I now had slight throbbing in my right temple. I slipped out of the courtroom to the hallway which seemed cooler, stretched, took deep breaths, and slowly paced. 110 BPM. I decided to visit the 1st floor security station to ask if they had a medical station and could take my blood pressure. 117/72 was very high for me, as I normally run under 104/60. The officer looked at me very seriously and told me to go get checked out.

As my husband and I walked out of the courthouse, I began to experience a stabbing pain in my abdomen that wrapped around my left side and into my back. It stopped me in my tracks, but subsided after about a minute. As we walked slowly to the parking garage, I became very winded, checked my watch again and It showed 126 BPM. I reclined my seat and by the time I arrived at the hospital, just minutes away, my BPM was down to 77.

Long story sh- well, longer…:slight_smile: the ER doc found no evidence of a heart attack, aorta ultra sound was good, all blood work was excellent, but it was determined I was dehydrated, which I found laughable since I drink anywhere from 64 to 100 oz per day. I did feel much better after an IV of fluids - other than the remorse I felt for having missed the remainder of my son’s final round and the award’s ceremony where his team placed 9th in the State.

In retrospect, after evaluating all events of that day, I observed that the episode happened immediately following lunch: a burrito bowl (no tortilla, no rice, no cheese, no sour cream, bu with chicken, charros frijoles, veggies, avocado, and salsa).

I have been meticulously tracking my food intake and heart rate since with no unusual episodes until about an hour ago, immediately following my first meal of the day. I had been seated at the table reading after my meal when I felt the sudden flush in my face and the rise in my heart rate. It went up to 109 BPM. When I reclined in the sofa, much like the reclining in the car on my trip to the hospital, it almost immediately went back down to 77 BPM.

I am curious how many on this site have tracked the rise in heart rate immediately following a meal. Both meals where I experienced this episode were higher than 460 calories. I have had no reactions with smaller meals.

(Reina ) #23

Oh, the ER nurse also found high ketones in my urine, to which he surmised that I was “starving.” I have been taking in around 1400 calories a day and I am not highly active.

(Edith) #24

Allergic reactions can cause hearts to race. Maybe you reacted to a certain food?

My heart rate and blood pressure have gone up since I started keto.

Usually when Im running my HR is at ~150-160 but the last few times ive been to the gym its at 174 (i havent testing my resting HR)

My BP is also up by 10 points

(Greg Borchert) #26

I had a similar experience, where my waking HR that had been low 40’s jumped to low 50’s, and I’d notice a marginally higher than common HR at other times. I think it’s mostly hydration and minerals. At least it was for me. Once I started consciously hydrating and staying on top of electrolytes, my HR returned to where it has historically been.

Ahh, maybe Im not getting enough of my electrolytes and water then! Ill have to up that!