Heart pounding episodes....scared

(jan) #1

hi folks. new here. am 3 weeks in not fat adapted yet. down 12.
i have had several occasions where my heart js pounding hard and get dizzy. scary.
i think am drinking enough water, using celtic salts amd probably need to toghten up magnesium/calcium/potassium a bit.
question: i elevated heart rate common and what are the exact guidelines for each electrolyte intake? thank you

(Jacquelyn Graham) #2

I have supra ventricular tachycardia, totally unrelated to Keto, and it can be very uncomfortable and scary. Mine is controlled through medication and it took a cardiac stress test to diagnose. That being said, I believe low levels of potassium can also cause this, but be careful because too much is also not good.

Do you drink wine?
It sounds odd, I know, but if so cut out (or back on wine) and see if it goes away.

(jan) #4

no wine or alcohol here for now. i looked up electrolytes and many advocate use of zipfizz which has glucose polymers. oick your poison i guess. am gunna figure out how much i need and make sure i get them. not optional anymore, now a must. hoping deep breathing will help. it’s to scary especially when you’re overweight. thanks

(Edith) #5

You may not be getting enough salt. You need about Five grams of sodium a day as recommended by Stephen Phinney. That’s a little over two teaspoons of salt.

Good luck & please let us know if you find the cause (if not too personal). Communal wisdom is a blessing amidst all the nonsense we’re bombarded with daily. Your solution could help someone else.

(Omar) #7

I have the same issue

But the only time I notice it is when I look at my Garmin watch

I used the Garmin after starting keto so I am not sure if my heart rate ( non wresting ) was always hi or only after keto.

(jan) #8

thanks. get at least that. junkie me.

(Ron) #9

This is a good guideline-

(Margaret G) #10

When I was new to LCHF, I had sinus tachycardia, heart rate over 115/min. It was making me anxious, so I got a checkup with my doctor. All the tests came out normal, and the condition went away in time. I’m pretty sure now that I had electrolyte problems, and hiking on a mountain didn’t help.
Bone broth is a tasty way to take extra salt. I hope it gets better soon.

(jan) #11

thanks guys. appreciate it. i think the smartest thing is to find a keto woke doctor and establish a baseline and get my settings on electrolytes, blood etc done. thanks!

Always important to get heart checked. I started with heart palps 5 years ago. Thankfully it was the menopause causing mine.

(Todd Gamel) #13

What is your actual heart rate? Do you get dizzy doing anything in particular or more so when you stand up or make quick movements? And do your know what your blood pressure (BP) is when you are having these sensations of a pounding heart beat?

Without answers to any of these questions, any advice here is unfortunately purely speculation. Of course, even with these answers we would all be only speculating on what we thought, but it would help to point us in the right direction. Here are some potential causes that may cause some of your symptoms. 1) If you have low blood pressure, your heart may be trying to make up from the loss of volume by beating faster, 2) If you are taking to much potassium, that can cause you to have heart palpitations, 3) dehydration from fluid loss due to the effects of diuresis (frequent urination), 4) Any other electrolyte imbalance.

So, unfortunately it could be a wide variety of causes, but these four are the most common. Sorry, I do not have a better answer for your.

(jan) #14

hi. I’m headed to the doctor to get a baseline thanks again do appreciate your help.

(Wendy) #15

Sounds smart.
I get those symptoms from time to time and in my case I find a pinch of pink salt and drinking more water is all I need. I take a mag supplement but only get potassium from my food. I love avocados. :hugs: