Healthy keto cereal?

(Britt) #1

I came across this cereal on FB just now and was wondering if anyone has tried it? I don’t think I would get it for myself because it might just make me want more sugary snacks. It’s sweetened with monk fruit and 1 carb per serving. I was thinking about getting it as an alternative snack for my daughter.

(Alec) #2

What’s it made from?? Looks disgusting.

(Carl Keller) #3

I agree with this. Eating something that does not cause a rise in blood glucose often causes our insulin to spike when our brains perceive that we’ve eaten something sweet. Also, eating these types of things mimics behavior that got us in trouble to begin with.

If you are worried that you might want other sweet things after eating this, why would your daughter be exempt from the same temptation?

Ingredients: Lactose-free milk protein isolate, high-oleic sunflower oil, tapioca fiber, natural flavor, monk fruit, paprika extract (color), beet juice (color)

(Alec) #4

Anything with sunflower oil… nah!

(Georgia) #5

I really miss cereal so I bought some on-line. Despite what may or may not be in the ingredients, one thing I have found is that a lot of these products (cereal, cheese puffs, etc.) leave a nasty after taste in my mouth. The first couple of bites were okay (they really tasted like Froot Loops), but after that I found it hard to continue eating them.

(Karen) #6

It’s either a bridging food, so that you can do keto more easily or it’s a gateway food that will send you out of keto if you take a bite. Other than being pretty much artificial, it’s probably not too awful as a keto cereal. Her standard breakfast is Is going to have to shift to something like bacon and eggs, or keto toast

(Britt) #7

My daughters diet has been sugar laden for quite some time and so was mine. She is now 13 and able to make many of her own food choices. She has seen my change in diet and how it’s benefitted me so far yet has the “rebellious” mindset of a teenager when it comes to what she eats. Could I force her to eat what I eat? Of course but is that setting her up for long term success or an eating disorder? I’m choosing the lesser of two evils and trying to make a gradual change. If she does not choose a healthier way of eating for herself then it’s not going to stick. She’s very thin but weight conscious so there’s a fine line in how I handle food issues with her. Her father has type 2 diabetes and takes care of himself when he chooses. He has done keto only sporadically and then binges. She’s very mature for her age and I know she will figure out a way of healthy eating that works for her but not by my forcing it on her😉.

I’m trying to lead by example😁

She actually does not eat breakfast since she says she’s not hungry and has a fairly early lunch at school. I was thinking if this tasted ok it could replace some other more sugary snacks. She tends to grab things that are easily accessible and sweet. I’ve tried cutting up fruit/veggies etc. to have them at the ready but this hasn’t worked so far. I do not keep many snack foods in the house and am slowly getting rid of sugary items.

(Britt) #8

I’ve found that to be true of anything that has sweeteners in it. I’ve alwayd been taste sensitive to anything that wasn’t actual sugar. I refused to drink diet soda and think it’s nasty. I can tolerate stevia in SOME things in a tiny amount but for most part I just leave things unsweetened. My daughter is not as sensitive to stevia etc so if I could go that route to help break the sugar addiction I would do it. I know it’s not ideal but it’s a means to the ultimate goal of eradicating most of the sugar. She also has a lot of anxiety and has panic attacks which I strongly surmise are affected by the high sugar in her diet. I’ve talked to her about this and have planted the seed but she’s not anywhere near acceptance yet. It’s a slow work in progress.

Just make her lots of keto sweets and cake. My daughter got used to not eating sugar after a few weeks, but keeps missing cake. So I bake, often, because sugary cake or sweets make her feel sick.

Her anxiety and moods swings are almost gone because she’s low carb. No gluten or sugar is her rule, but because I don’t eat starch, there isn’t much to choose from except the very thin rye crisp breads and carrots. Substitutes have helped her a lot, and I make cauliflower rice or mash too.

If you get your daughter’s body used to low gi foods, even using substitutes to keep her happy through the process, she’ll soon find that too much sugar or wheat makes her feel rather awful.

Yesterday morning at the hotel, I had a tiny piece of a tiny croissant. It felt just like eating a sugar cube, even though I enjoy isomalt candy without getting tgat same feeling. Young girls will also be able to notice this effect.

(Britt) #10

Thank you! This is exactly what I’m hoping for. If I can just get her to see how much better she feels without all that junk then I think she will choose to eat healthier on her own :wink::+1:

Having a bowl of Steak Krispies right now! :grin:

(Britt) #12

What are steak krispies???:thinking:

It’s when I’ve pretty much got a bowl of steak pieces and I shovel them into my face like a lunatic! Real thing, typically when I have a lot of leftover cooked meat. One time while my kids was eating his cereal and my wife was eating normal breakfast food I walked over and ate that like it was cereal and the name (making fun of me) was born.

(Britt) #14

That’s too funny! I thought you’d made some type of steak food thing with Rice Krispies although that could not be low carb :grin:.

(Britt) #15

Well I’m glad I asked about the cereal even though I don’t think I will be purchasing it. The replies have made me think a little more about better alternatives for my daughter and I did check out the “kids” thread which I hadn’t thought to do. It’s good to know that other parents have some of the same struggles and being a single parent “sharing” adds yet another dynamic when the other parent doesn’t eat healthy either. I’m going to skip the cereal but continue to look for other “ideas” to bridge the sugar to no sugar gap😉

(Linda Kaufman) #16

Have you tried bran? They can be mixed with a variety of juice and all this without sugar