Healing slowed during Keto

(David Jackson) #1

I’ve noticed that minor cuts and scrapes on my arms and legs seem to take longer to heal lately. Is this a Keto “benefit?” Ive not read anything which supports this, but I do notice it within my own body. I’m not feeling Ill nor do I have any other symptoms of illness, but it’s rather weird to see cuts and scrapes take so long to heal.

Anyone?

Are you getting enough protein? I think also Vitamin D is essential for topical healing (at least from my experience when levels were super low).

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

People seem to have different experiences on keto, but @BeStill’s question about protein is a good one to consider. Be sure you are getting enough.

(David Jackson) #4

I’m very good on protein. And I’d been drinking a lot of bone broth which has copious amounts of collagen. Don’t know about vitamin D.

(Paula Knopf) #5

I noticed several bruises taking forever to fade. I’m pretty sure it’s connected to woe.

(David Jackson) #6

Woe?

(Paula Knopf) #7

Sorry. Way of Eating.

@Paulak and @DaveJackson

I love keto and am pretty sure that it’s our default metabolic state as humans (or at least a very common metabolic state for us) but I would keep an eye on slow healing - seems like it means that something’s not quite working. It might not be keto itself but the nutrients in your meals (or stress, or sleep, or sunlight, etc). All those pieces together should add up to improved health, which generally includes quick healing of wounds (not just the external ones that you can see but also the internal wear and tear - and repair - that’s happening all the time).

(Patrick) #9

I think it’s a good idea after a few months of keto to get a full blood panel done (nutrients & hormones) to see if anything is out of whack and give you an idea of what to supplement.

I feel as if I am bruising more easily, but haven’t noticed any fatigue that seems unusual. I have a small surgery Friday, so will pay attention to my healing from that. (FWIW I am a t2 diabetic and have recently gotten control over my glucose because of keto so I’m interested to see if I heal better)