Headaches

(Brian ) #1

Hi All,
Just joined the forum, but currently on my 21st day Keto and all has been relatively ok so far until last week.
For around the last 4-5 days I have had bad headaches throughout the day, but i’m getting 6-7g of sodium and 1.5-2g of potassium daily throughout the day with ZMA before bed.

Has anyone else encountered these types of headaches at the start and if so any advice ,as I really want to keep going.
Would I need to try increasing sodium intake ?

6-7g of Sodium sounds fine, but if you’re losing a lot through sweat, etc. you might need more, but I don’t think I would add any more potassium since 1.5-2g seems like a lot.

As far as electrolytes are concerned, I would look at magnesium and calcium dosages. @Brenda likes magnesium citrate and calcium citrate and I use them as well.

However, it’s commonly understood that we live in a highly toxic environment and our bodies can’t eliminate those toxins fast enough so they normally get sequestered in adipose tissue, ie. body fat, and when we start to lose it, those toxins are suddenly released and it would be very easy for that to result in malaise and/or headaches.

If headaches are from the expelling of toxins, drinking plenty of water will help keep them flowing as well as adding things like apple cider vinegar among other things that are supposed to help the liver clear them out, too.

Drinking plenty of KetoAide should provide all the electrolytes and water needed to keep things flowing through pretty well.

Is that a measure of sodium or salt? Seems a little on the high side if it’s sodium.
Are you including the sodium and potassium in the foods you’re eating, or is that just a supplement?
Are you drinking enough water with that?
Do you have a way to check your blood pressure?

(Brian ) #4

Thanks for replies , the sodium and potassium levels where from combination of bouillon , salt and foods.
I had cut down on my water intake , as I read this may be flushing sodium out , maybe that’s incorrect ?

I would judge whether you have adequate hydration by the color and quantity of your urine. You want it to be a light lemony color, not dark or orange.
(Note: some B-vitamins will make it bright yellow.)

(Mike W.) #6

I had the same issue, but to combat I upped my salt to meet my water instead of vice-versa. It’s easy to get dehydrated.

Is that sodium a total count inc all food eaten? If it is in addition I would say it is too high. I am not sure about potassium levels but I know it is one that you can come unstuck with if you take too much. I would be tempted to scale it back. Magnesium has always even my go to, especially for headaches, cramps and restless legs. I use citrate predominantly but also sometimes malate and glycinate.

(Brian ) #8

The majority of my sodium comes from bouillon and the rest from salt and food . I will maybe cut it down next few days and see if any change , thanks😊
Will I always need to keep on top of electrolytes, or will this change once fat adapted ?

The bouillon I can buy in the grocery store contains monosodium glutamate (MSG) and that definitely gives me headaches.

(Brian ) #10

Below are the ingredients listed on the marigold brand I’m using :
Sea salt, Hydrolysed vegetable protein soya, potato starch, palm oil (sustainable), vegetables 8% (parsnip, onion, leek, carrot), Lactose ( milk), Parsley, Celery seed, Turmeric, White pepper, Garlic, Mace, Lovage, Nutmeg.

Does this look ok ?

Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein (HVP) is one of the ingredients.

I would have to avoid it - the emphasis below was added by me.

If I’m sensitive to MSG, should I avoid HVP?

Yes. MSG is an established headache trigger. Some MSG-intolerant people can develop MSG symptom complex. Besides headaches, its symptoms can include a rapid heart rate, nausea, chest pain and facial pressure or tightness.

Even though HVP may contain 10 to 30 per cent MSG, products that contain HVP do not have to be labelled as containing MSG. Product labels have to identify MSG as an ingredient only when it is directly added to food. It does not have to be identified as an ingredient when it is a byproduct of another process.

People who are sensitive to MSG should avoid foods containing ingredients or additives that include the word “hydrolyzed.”

(Brian ) #12

Thanks Bill :blush: I will cut the bouillon out and just stick with salt and see how it goes over the next few days.

Yes, I have always avoided MSG for the headache reason. There is usually a variety without on most shelves I have found.

(David) #14

Want me to send you some?

Or, does it hide under a different name?

Unfortunately, the Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein (HVP) ingredient contains up to 30% MSG. :frowning:

I pretty much stay with regular salt and sea salt for now with the occasional home-made bone broth, but when I can find a bouillon with no MSG I’ll try it for variety.

(David) #16

Gah. That sucks.

(Caraway Carter) #17

Is seltzer ok to drink when you are dehydrated or should I just drink plain water?

(Athena) #18

All I drink is soda water. @Caraway_Carter, what makes you think you are dehydrated?

(Caraway Carter) #19

I just assumed because I had a headache all day. I must admit that I didn’t drink any water, except the seltzer in the morning.

(Athena) #20

When I first started Keto, I got many migraines due to not enough sodium in my diet. We need 5g of sodium per day on Keto. I found whenever I got a headache, a little pink salt on my tongue would magically take the headache away. I finally bought sodium chloride tablets and started taking one after each meal. Are you sure you are getting enough electrolytes?