Headaches, water retention

(Michele) #1

Hi - I started keto almost 4 weeks ago and am really struggling. First 2 weeks were great - dropping weight, losing water weight. Since then, I’ve been getting terrible headaches and nausea, which seem to be helped by supplementing with salt. I’ve been having about 1 tsp a day, and salting food. But, I am retaining water like crazy - puffy face, distended stomach… I feel like I need more salt, yet also am having too much salt. Any ideas?

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

I’m still new and learning but I switched to lite salt (part potassium) then to pink himalayan salt and my nausea went away, so did my fatigue. It has magnesium and potassium as well as sodium.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #4

Yes, I agree. I quit the lite salt because I felt like I could really feel my heart beating. It think it was too much.

(Candy Lind) #5

It is a real struggle to get electrolytes in balance at first! Try ketoaide or a commercial electrolyte drink like this one to help you get in balance. If you’re bloating with less than 3000 mg of salt, you need to drink more water, because that’s still not enough salt for most ketonians. And, as @PetaMarie said, you might need magnesium and/or potassium as well. But salt controls those other two and is the most important.

(Michele) #7

Thanks everyone - going to try Upping my salt and switching to Himalayan.