Head exploding

(Debbie Wolthuis) #1

Hi everyone. My name is Debbie, I am 50 and live in Melbourne, Australia. I was 95kg (209) and I am now 83kg (182). This was done with just making health choices. I have about another 8kg (17) to go. My diabetic medication has reduced considerably. I can’t remeber my last h1a is. So my question is ketosis or low carb. I have read Jason Fung who gave me permission to recover from diabetes which NO one has ever done. My poor head is all over the place. I have just started listening to the keto dudes Trying to consume so much information. I really need direction. I am under a naturopath I think i also néed a new doctor. See where my head is all over the place.

Yes, there is a lot of information and suggest you just take it slow.
My absolute beginer advise is to focus on cutting carbs especially anything refined and processed. And while you’re doing that - Stick to this forum and go through every tab; Dietdoctor.com is also good. And I’m sure others will chime in with other favorites sites - but you will also see them on the forum readings.

You’ve come a long ways already and keto will help get you to the rest - and more importantly - stay there.

(Debbie Wolthuis) #3

Thanks Ajax. I have already started eliminating pasta, rice, bread and potatoes. It has already made huge difference to my levels. Thanks for the site

I agree with Ajax. Start slow and don’t try to do too much at once. That’s how I started, not even intending to go full keto, I just started eliminating all refined sugar and flour. I’ve been a carb-o-haulic my entire life and this was the hardest part for me. I did that for about a month and then I started reading about the keto diet and I was hooked. I’m 7 weeks in and I’m still learning what works for me and what doesn’t. There are a zillion youtube videos to learn about every aspect of keto and there are also just as many opinions about the “right” way to do it. Be wary of joining any group that is dogmatic in their advice; their way is the only right way to do keto. There are groups that will provide you with a very nice shiny chart to show you exactly what your macros should be based on your height and weight. I am very skeptical of those types of standard measurement one-size-fits-all charts. I am very active, I work out 6 days a week so telling me my macros based on my height and weight is a complete waste of time. I’m not sure where they even come up with those numbers from because every person is different. This has been a great forum for me to learn and ask questions about keto. I haven’t seen anyone bashed for asking a question.

(Auden) #5
  1. Fung is the best! 2) congrats on your recovery from diabetes! 3) low carb/ketosis is a journey and hopefully you will be eating this way for a long time, so give yourself time and space to cut back on carbs and learn what works for you. Listen to the 2KetoDudes podcasts for sure. I’ve learned so much from them.

If you’re getting overwhelmed, keep it simple. Jason Fung lays out an excellent strategy in his book. His message is clear: fasting is the most efficient and effective way to reverse diabetes. I’m assuming you’re a type 2 diabetic, where the pancreas grown tired from trying to produce enough insulin to drive glucose into interestingly resistant cells throughout the body. Lowering carb consumption lowers the load on the pancreas. Fasting minimizes it even more.

You’re probably already tracking your BG, I suggest using that as your primary metric. The objective is to eat and fast in a manner that keeps BG as low as possible for as many hours of the day as possible. Ultimately weaning off exogenous insulin administration.

I’m insulin resistant not a full blown diabetic, but I’ll share what is working for me. I find fasting fits my lifestyle better than trying to adhere to some macronutrient profile. I want flexibility and I don’t want food (or any WOE) to take center stage in my life. I try to eat real food most of the time. Processed foods are an occasional treat. I’m on the low carb end of the spectrum, but I’m not counting macros or calories. Most meals consist of meat and veggies, plus fat from whole foods like nuts, avocado, and coconut. I take a very common sense approach: I avoid foods my great grandmother wouldn’t recognize or are no longer available in the form she had (ie. grains).

When I started 9 months ago, I fasted extensively, averaging one meal every 4-10 days. I basically fasted until an occasion arose the required me to eat. I’d have that meal then resume fasting again. This was extremely effective at getting rid of visceral fat and losing weight. As measured by postprandial times, my insulin sensitivity increased.

Optimum weight can be realized faster than metabolic derangement can be fixed. I’m now trying to minimize the rate of weight loss while continuing to improve my IR. I use BG as my primary metric. I try to keep my morning glucose in the ideal range (below 85 mg/dL). On days when it’s above that, I fast until it drops below 70. This may take 1-3 days depending on how high it was and activity level (a gym workout can 2x my recovery rate). Fasting gives me the flexibility to eat what I want while still insuring that my body continues to repair itself. If I eat a LC meal that my body is able to process overnight, then I can eat again the next day. If I eat above whatever my body’s ability is, I fast until it’s finished with it. Doing this insures that my body spends significant periods of time at low basal insulin levels, which is essential for fixing insulin resistance. As my metabolism improves, my eating periods increase and my fasting periods decrease.

(Edith) #7

Don’t worry about too much information. Most of us on this forum believe this way of eating is our new way of life. Therefore, you have plenty of time to learn and figure out what works and what doesn’t for you. It is a process that will take time. Relax and enjoy the new way of eating. Don’t overwhelm yourself. You have time and this forum.

(Ellie Baum) #8

You’re already better off than you were before. You can keep eating how you’re eating now while you learn more. Give yourself permission reread Jason Fung’s book if you need it. And to relisten to a 2 Keto Dudes podcast if you’re a bit unclear about something. I’ve listened of a few of the podcasts multiple times when I really want to learn a topic.

(Auden) #9

Wow, you are amazing! This is a mind-blowing concept to me. I appreciate you explaining it.

(Debbie Wolthuis) #10

Thanks Jasdawn5 for your wonderful advice

(Debbie Wolthuis) #11

Thanks so much 4dml. I am type 2 diabetic. The last 3 days my readings have been fantastic and I am getting there with the keto diet

(Debbie Wolthuis) #12

I am really enjoying the lower BGL readings over the last 3 days. Thanks for the vote of confidence

(Debbie Wolthuis) #13

Thanks Ellie I suppose it is like everything I wanted it yesterday lol because I feel so much better