Haven't seen this on here yet .. Ben Bikman knocks it out of the park.... again

(bulkbiker) #1

Sorry if its been posted already…
M

Ben never just phones it in - always worth the time.

(bulkbiker) #3

He sure is but this one seems to cover a huge amount of stuff… from MCT oil to sat fat to exercise to insulin… everything in one handy package…

(Allie) #4

I was listening to this on podcast this morning while walking my dog. Interesting stufff for sure.

(Bob M) #5

Where do you get the podcast?

(Janet) #6

Yesterday’s download from High Intensity Health. Episode #250!
Many of Mike’s previous interviews are also very good, including a previous one with Dr. Bikman. I subscribe through Apple Podcasts.

(Bob M) #7

Thanks, I had not heard of that podcast. I added it to my list and will download it once I get home and am on wifi.

I like him, because I think he’s a GREAT LOOKING guy! :grin:

#baldiesunite

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #9

My recent dna analysis said I have a tendency to male pattern baldness. Been mostly bald since 25yo so was kinda duh! Also I have a gene for low empathy. Wife said duh!

(Omar) #10

did you send a photo to the DNA lab with the sample ?

(Bob M) #11

Interesting. Bikman describes how eating high protein in a low carb state means that your insulin does not go up, as controlled by glucagon. I have found this to be true. I have eaten up to around 200 grams of protein in a single meal, typically after fasting 36 hours with lifting and HIIT thrown in, and I do not get a blood sugar response. My glucagon must be working. However, Jimmy Moore gets hypoglycemic after high protein, which is probably a poor glucagon response.

I wonder why there are such differences in glucagon responses?

I’m sure I’ve heard Jimmy say previously that he suffered from reactive hypoglycemia before he became diabetic. I’m guessing he’s had some pretty messed alpha and beta cells for a very long time.

(Bob M) #13

I think he does, because he also gets even worse hypoglycemia from a 90% fat diet, which means his glucagon is totally messed up.

I thought that was a great conversation. mTor! He’s anti-high mTor causes cancer. He also seems to be anti-very high fat diets and more pro higher protein (which is what I’ve switched to), though he does like fat for fuel. He also likes carnitine and red meat.

There seems to be a case for keeping mTor minimised if you’re actually undergoing cancer treatment or the like, but in general? I’m yet to be convinced. If you’re eating in a smaller window I think you’ve probably done enough.

(Bob M) #15

Same with ketones: there’s a case for getting them high (and blood sugar low) if you have cancer, but otherwise, it’s not worth spending too much time on them. They also discussed how ketones seem to go down over time, which has been my experience. I used to get some relatively high values, and now I’m lucky to get 1.0, especially in the morning, unless I’m fasting multiple days. (Low carb for 5 years.) And as they discussed, my ketones go down when I exercise, sometimes to near zero. I’ve even got zero after exercising, when I was 0.5 or higher before, but I’m not sure I totally trust that measurement.

I listened to it while lifting yesterday & had a few ‘Hmmm - interesting!’ moments so will give a rerun when I’m more focused. As I said upthread, Bikman is always worth the investment.

(Jennifer) #17

I watched this yesterday - great info. I especially liked when he was talking about ketones and that if they show up at all, you are in ketosis. What spills into the blood is extra and since they are demand driven, your body, over time, will get better at producing ketones as needed. So overtime your levels will tend to trend lower.

Fascinating video, thanks for posting. Always great to hear from someone who not only believes in what you’re doing, but also does it himself and knows why he is doing it. That make sense.

Surely reinforces my new lifestyle.

(Carolyn aka stokies) #19

I think levels of insulin resistance could be a part of the reason.