Have you ever bought a half beef or quarter beef?

(Brian) #1

I get a little frustrated at the quality of meats that I see in the local stores. They vary quite a lot, both in quality and in price. I sometimes see cheap cuts of meat for something like $2/pound but I also wonder, sometimes, where that meat actually came from.

I’ve looked at a couple of places online that are selling organic, grass fed, grass finished beef. The place I’m considering ordering from sells a whole beef, a half beef, or a quarter beef. It is butchered by a local company so I’d be picking up the meat from them already cut into various steaks and also some ground burger. I can also get part of the heart, tongue and some other stuff if I want it.

I’d feel pretty good about the quality of the meat and would know where it came from. The farm is not that far away and they are really serious about what the cows eat and the pasture that they’re raised on. But the meat works out to around $5 to $6 a pound. That’s not cheap, but it includes a broad variety of cuts that are often way more expensive than that.

It’s a big investment all at one time but I do have a freezer. Whatcha think? Is it a good way of getting some good quality beef? I don’t have a place to raise them and I don’t butcher anything myself. I was thinking it might be just about the next best thing I could do.

Curious if you have experience with this.

Thanks!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #2

It is a good way to obtain a large quantity of beef, while being more confident in the animal husbandry practices of the rancher who raised the animal.

It’s also a good way to learn about different cuts of the animal and how to process and cook them, rather than be ribeye-ribeye-strip-t-bone-repeat.

Buy it this way all the time. Just got a new 1/2 the other day. One additional benefit is that (if it works this way for your arrangement) you can pick how you want the beef cut. The thickness of the steaks. The amount of fat percentage in the hamburger etc.

Plus you always have meat on hand when you get a craving!

(Brian) #4

There is also something about buying from a local farmer that feels good, supporting the kind of agriculture I like seeing happen.

I buy my eggs from a local guy, too, someone I know personally, and I can see his chickens and know what he feeds them. (They eat very well.) Those hens live a good life. And I feel good about eating what he produces. (I still marvel that he’ll sell those eggs for $1.75/doz. I think he should be selling for more. But that’s his price, for now.)

I’m not big on being “green” and “saving the planet” and all of that stuff. But I do tend to like to support farmer types that are doing it like I would like to if I were doing what they are doing. Sometimes it costs more. But sometimes, it’s actually cheaper to go to the source.

(Tubeman) #5

I bought a quarter beef for the first time this month and I will definitely do it again. I was getting grass fed, pasture raised beef from a local farm with prices ranging from 7-16/lb (16 for ribeyes…the most amazing ribeyes). Buying in bulk I get it for 5/lb, and though I couldn’t select how I wanted things cut, they let me swap out cuts I didn’t want for ones I did.

The 1/4 beef was about 200lbs and occupied my entire 7.2cubic foot freezer, with a few cuts for the fridge.

Since I only pretty much only eat beef, this is a good situation.

(Alan Williamson) #6

Catch of the Day…Cow - whole cow is over 400 pounds of beef. That could feed a family for a year.

(Brian) #7

For the ones I’m looking at, a quarter would be a little under 100 pounds of beef, it varies a bit. It wouldn’t likely be under about 60 pounds but not likely over 90 pounds. Like I said, they’re grass finished so no grain to bulk them up ahead of time. I forget the breed of cow they’re using but it’s not a typical Holstein or Hereford.

(Melis Jansen ) #8

I did this a couple years ago and it was great. I was living in Toronto at the time and there was a farmer who offered package deals of meat so I was able to also get pork and turkey. I’ve actually been thinking of doing that again. It’s great to have all that meat in the freezer and not have to worry about running out. Now that I have an instant pot it’s a lot easier to cook meat from frozen also.

(Tubeman) #9

Now that I eat meat, I feel that my diet is even better from an ethics stand-point. I used to strive for eating local and in season when I was vegetarian, but nothing grows in New England in the winter, and there are few farms where one can go get veggies direct.

100% of my food is local and in season now (aside from some cheese I really like…). I can get all kinds local, grass-fed meat and dairy fresh all year round. I pay the people who produce my food more or less directly, no middle man. Nothing getting shipped halfway across the country, or world, either.

Also, I eat less processed food than I ever have in my life! This diet is the best.

(Vladaar Malane) #10

I want to do it, have to save up and budget for it. But my local farmer is…

Whole Beef: $3.39/lb
Half Beef: $3.49/lb
Quarter Beef: $3.59/lb

With the typical size being for 600 pounds for whole cow.

(Ken) #11

Not to change the subject, but if you can find a farmer that raises free range chickens, the taste is really superior as well.

A possible way to save some money on beef is to see if you can find meat from a mature cow rather than a young steer. It should be less expensive, and the taste, IMO, is better. A little more “beefy” tasting.

I actually haven’t purchased a half or a quarter, but I raise and sell grass fed beef. We don’t sell in halves or quarters; instead we have it completely processed at a facility that is certified to process organic meat. We have about 1/3 ground into burger, chuck and round; another third (give or take) accounts for steaks and roasts; and lastly the ribs, soup bones, organ meats and tallow.
We found that most folks don’t have the freezer space for a whole half or quarter, and they like to have everything pre-cut and pre-packaged. Alternatively, if you can purchase a meat grinder- you will be able to make your own ground beef.

But, getting grass fed beef is by far your best option. Just make sure they haven’t been fed any finishing grains.
Hope that helps,
SecondBreakfast

(Brian) #13

No problem with the shift in topic direction. Actually, your comment fits in very well!

Finding some free range chickens is something I’d love to do, too. I haven’t located a good local source yet but I’m sure there are a few not too far away. I just have to search them out. It usually takes some planning as they’re often sold to people who’ve placed orders for them.

Having some chickens and a turkey or two or three in the freezer would be a good thing as I know we’d eat them. Knowing where they came from and that they lived well would be excellent!

:slight_smile:

If you have a local meat market you can check with them as well. They will sometimes sell meat bundles that will fit in your freezer better.

(Brian) #15

I don’t, but thanks for the suggestion. I kinda wish there were meat markets and butcher shops around like they probably were 70 or 80 years ago.

Another thought would be to check at a local feed store. The fellow who owns the local store around here allows farmers and ranchers to put sales flyers on the bulletin board. Most folks at Fleet Farm or Tractor Supply know who the locals are that sell meat and produce. We used to do that, but now we’ve got a pretty good customer list, and no longer need to post flyers.

I also raise chickens and turkeys to butcher myself. They’re remarkably easy to handle, and the meat is so nice and fresh. If you can find a local farmer who might do that for you, by all means give it go!

(Karen) #17

We used to get a half from a second cousin. They raised a dozen for sale. I got bored with the “Beef, it’s what’s for dinner”. Good meat, but I like more variety. If you love beef, it’s a great way to do this. And you can have it cut the way you like it.

K

IMO, very good idea. I would suggest that you look and find out if you have a real farmer relatively near by. We get a full 1/2 side every year for about 8 years now. I was very surprised when I found out I was within 30 miles of several farmers. It’s a single annual trip to the farm and a single trip to the butcher (who is 25 miles away) so that’s no big deal. We get a 1/2 due to family size and preferences. The butcher calls me and asks - how many of this cut, how thick for that cut, etc. It is a whole year of meat at an unbeatable price (You pay hanging weight of the side and a per pound charge from the butcher.) I see and touch my cattle each year, I know exactly what my farmer feeds his stock, I love it. I personally will not order online, It’s really expensive and I don’t really know what it is, similar to the grocery store. It is an investment in your health, supporting farmers, saving you time and money at the store!

(Ken) #19

For those that live in the Tri-State area of Northern IL, Southern WI, Eastern IA, including Chicagoland, I know a source for the beef. If interested, PM me for contact info.

(Brian) #20

That was one reason for only a quarter beef. We like other stuff, too. Haven’t found a good source for high quality chicken at a good price but still looking.