Have reached my weight loss goal, now want to add lean muscle mass have?

(jjc155) #1

Hey guys been strict keto since 3/18 and have met both my weight loss goal of getting down to 190lbs (from 240) and my goals of getting back in the gym (currently doing Stronglifts with a couple minor add on’s), back running and back on the mtn bike on a regular basis. I feel great, have been able to get off of one of my RA meds, have had to buy new clothes etc.This has 110% been a lifestyle change that I totally embrace and love.

So my question is my next goal is to gain a legit 10lbs of lean body mass WHILE still eating strict keto.

Is this do able? What adjustments (I assume that I would need some) should I do to my macros/cal intake?

Is there another strategy I should be pursuing/looking at or a different nutritional “program” or just solider on as is and continue hitting the gym hard?

Thanks
J-

(Sheri Knauer) #2

Robert Sykes is a natural body builder who earned his pro card being 100% keto. Check out his website. http://ketosavage.com

(Allan Misner) #3

Yes, it most certainly is possible. The very first thing you’ll need to do is lift heavy. Very heavy. So heavy you don’t want to do anything else for a few days. Take two days off and do it again. The 5x5 works (not sure what addons you’d need, since it is a complete fullbody program).

If you aren’t recovering well from your workouts, you may need to increase your protein (but do so in small increments until you find what you need). We need more protein when we lift heavy, but not as much as most people think.

Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.

(Ken) #4

If staying keto, the first thing to do is up your protein macro to 35%. Your fat macro drops to 60%, with 5% left for fiberous veggies. IMO, you should consume some carbs, in two ways. First, add 20g of dextrose before training, then consume another 40 g afterwards. Or, three rolls of Smarties before and six afterwards. You should also experiment with Carb days on the Weekends. I added quite a bit of muscle this way, by training heavy and following a three day split routine.

(mole person) #5

I gained muscle just fine on regular keto macros and found my recovery time was better than it had ever been on the SAD. Everyone is going to be different. I’d start lifting on strict keto and give your muscles some time to adjust to the new fuel. Phinney has said that muscles don’t fat adapt with fat cells, they need to be pushed to use fat as fuel via actual exercise. So give them a few weeks. If after that you feel you’re not developing at the rate you are used to then fiddle with your macros while checking for ketosis regularly.

Don’t check for ketosis right after exercise though, it gives a messed up reading. I find the reading I get just before I go to sleep is the best one for telling me how I’m doing.

I love lifting heavy on keto, for some reason it makes me feel like a superhero. :smiley:

(charlie3) #6

I’'m on about the same track as you and have similar goals. I’m reading a book on keto where the author seems convinced that keto interferes with increasing muscle mass. Link below. I can not refute that position based on my personal experiencce. I’ve been a hard gainer almost from the start. I’m getting stronger but too slowly I believe. I’m doing 3 one hour whole body workouts per week plus some walking and steady state cardio. 30 years ago I was a dedicated hobby lifter for 10 years so I’m not new to this.

30% of my daily calories burned is walking and exercise, 600-800 calories. May be I can tolerate some carbs when muscles are depleted but I don’t see the mechanism that makes that beneficial or necessary. Never the less I’m not gaining as I shouldd be.

(jjc155) #7

Copy thanks guys at least my thinking is on par with what it should be.

Allan the only “add ons” that I am doing is pull ups every other work out (on the row day) and calf raises every other day since I have had hard gain issues in the past with both body parts.

Only other thing that I do is that I will alternate dumbbell and flat bar bench press due to chronic shoulder issues in one of my shoulders.

J-

(shane ) #8

10 pounds of lean body mass is going to take years to put on. Just be aware of that so you don’t go in thinking this is going to be as fast as fat loss.

Losing fat is easy, gaining muscle is where the real hard work begins.

Typically a good goal is to aim for a half pound max or 2 pounds a month increase in BW while bulking. Bulk/add muscle until you get out of your comfort zone for fat gain and then slowly decrease cals.

The goal is to not go drastic in either direction. Gain weight to fast and most of it is fat, lose fat to fast and a lot of muscle goes with it. Muscle is expensive for the body to maintain. Lift heavy and intense while dieting to keep it.

(Roy D Rushing Jr ) #9

I love that keto brick video. They make them themselves lol!

(Sheri Knauer) #10

I know. I just ordered 2 more bricks. They are a hot commodity and hard to get because they sell out so fast, within minutes of being added to the website!