Have not really lost anything?

newbies

(Ceecee Quinn) #1

I started 1/13/19. I weighed 213lbs. I am 211lbs now… What gives? I have been fasting for 12-14 hours usually. I only eat lunch and dinner and maybe a snack between. I haven’t really been counting macros but when I have my carbs are in range around 20g. I am diabetic so is this the issue? I drink lots of water everyday and have a propel as well to help with electrolytes. Any help?

Are you a type 1 or type 2? I am type 2 and have noticed that my sugars have been much more stable since cutting my carbs down. I haven’t been having lows either. I haven’t lost much either, probably 3-5 lbs (fluctuates daily). I have noticed that I’ve lost 6 inches in my waist area in 2 weeks. I am drinking a lot of water and taking creatine and bcaas before my workouts. I am using MCT oil daily and need to get a few other supplements as the weeks carry on. I also do IF 16:8 daily.

(mole person) #3

We need more information to help you. Can you tell us your age, sex, and height and also tell us what you are eating and drinking in a day. That will help us to identify if you are making any mistakes.

Also, not everyone loses much in the first few weeks. The first six week are about getting fat adapted and some people are very hungry during that period of withdrawing from all the glucose. As you become fat adapted that hunger generally diminishes and this is where most of the magic comes from on the ketogenic diet.

The only reason for any concern is that you have not seen much water weight losses which are expected in the first weeks. Have you tested in any way to ensure that you are actually in ketosis?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

You just started 15 days ago. It takes time for the keto eating style to do it’s work. Do you have a lot to lose or just 20 lbs or so? The thing happening now is metabolic and hormonal changes as well as depletion of glycogen stored in your muscles with water being released as it becomes depleted. That’s the quick loss, water. Fat takes longer and you may not see a lot of weight loss for a few weeks but it will pick up if you keep it up. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Carl Keller) #5

This.

The initial measure of success is likely not going to be found on the scale. The better indications might be less hunger, less cravings, more energy, less bodily inflammation and better mental clarity. If any or all of those things are occuring, you are on the right track.

(Ceecee Quinn) #6

Thanks everyone! I definitely feel a lot better. I also have sleep apnea and I have noticed I don’t need naps anymore after starting this! Which to me… is a huge deal. So I am very happy with it all so far! I was just scared because I’ve failed every other diet or lifestyle change and really don’t know what I’m doing too well. I haven’t been hungry much or craving anything besides milk… hehe.
Anyway, I am type 2, I eat 1 chicken with 50g bell pepper for lunch usually… if not chicken it’s steak. At dinner I’ve been making casseroles for the family with meat like chicken, steak or italian sausage, veges like broccoli or green beans and cream cheese/parm cheese usually. Don’t have anything after because I am never hungry before bed. I do have some green olives as a snack during the day if I feel hungry and sometimes tuna. I have been drinking infused water with lemon, cucumber and sometimes strawberries but seldom.

(mole person) #7

Your choices look good. I wouldn’t worry about the weight loss yet. It’s way too soon. Let yourself continue to get fat adapted for at least the first six weeks before thinking of tinkering with anything. Eat until you are satisfied but don’t eat more than that. If I had two recommendations I would say try counting your carbs to make certain you are under 20 net grams and find a way to test that you are in ketosis (urine strips are cheap and tend to be effective enough when people are starting out). As long as you are in ketosis then you are fat adapting, and that is what’s really important at this stage.

For now just keep going. Not everyone loses weight immediately.

What is your fat intake? I’ve been losing pretty fast but I am at 141 grams most days. I eat from 9-5. Fat is a big part of the success of this plan. I also noticed my experimenting I have to count actual carbs, if I use net I stall out.