Has anyone here ever been prescribed Vitamin B6 for high homocysteine levels?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #1

From what little I have read, high homocysteine levels seem to be associated with greater intake of sugar and starch. Does anyone have any experience or more information on the subject? I am curious because my friend just got diagnosed, and she eats carbs from sunup to sundown.

I’m no expert so take this with a grain of salt. I have a MTHFR gene mutation which has made me focus on the pathways on how our cells use energy through methylation. Here is the image I’ve come across detailing the folic acid/vitamin B pathway:

As you can see, homocysteine is the end product of the methylation cycle before starting back up again. From there, only two paths exist. Either Vitamin B6 moves it to the transsulfuration pathway or the MTHFR cycle moves it back to Methionine. If your friend has high homocystine levels, looking at the image, would mean that both pathways are compromised. There’s not enough Vit B6 to move it out and there is an issue with the MTHFR cycle that is not converting it to Methionine.

Taking Vitamin B6 will probably work, but that could be masking a bigger issue like a severe MTHFR gene defect reducing that cycle’s efficiency down to 30% and causing a homocysteine backup.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #3

Yes, I agree with you. And she is being prescribed a ridiculously low dose, 100 milligrams. Will be interesting to follow her blood tests.