Has Anybody Done a Bone Broth Fast?

I want to know if I drink bone broth throughout the day, is that a valid fast? OH yes, and black coffee in the morning.
Will it put me in autophagy? Is this a fast.
I did it for 2-1/2 days, and it was so easy, I’m thinking it probably wasn’t a true fast.
:cherry_blossom:

(Allie) #2

As I understand it only a water fast will give the autophagy benefits.

Thank you.
:smile_cat:

no but i’m planning one right now! i’m in the middle of my second batch, gearing up for next week.

while we’re on the topic, though, does anyone have any sweet clue as to why ALL the beef (even homemade, grassfed ect) bone broth listings in my macros app says there is little to no fat in the broth??? i can literally see the half inch of FAT on top of my jar of broth.

(MelissaH) #5

Broth fasting is supposed to give your digestive system a break. Since your still consuming calories it’s not for autophogy. Still worth it though. I felt great when I did mine😊 butter mixed into the cup is delicious!

(Katie) #6

A lot of that might be collagen/gelatin too.

ah, true. i just couldn’t believe the reports of ZERO fat in some of the listings.

(MelissaH) #8

I think most store bought broth has little nutritional value. Making your own is far superior. Or store bought bone broth or stock

Store bought broth is just broth without the fat top… You know how when you put it in the refrigerator it all rises to the top. They skim that off. The gelatinous consistency has Probably little or no fat. That’s why it says no fat. when you make homemade broth you mix in the fat if you want it.
Take a look at a jar that in the store you never see that fat top.

i figured, but it didn’t explain the zero fat content in the homemade broth listings. i wonder how i would go about measuring the fat content in mine.

(back and doublin' down) #11

I’ve had very successful fasts using bone broth, especially in the first few days. I was fasting for weight loss and to give my digestive system a break, not for autophagy.

So…there are all sorts of fasts (and some great threads on both IF and EF)…Do You! :slight_smile:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #12

I am currently bone broth/coffee fasting to lose additional water weight from the weekend and break a plateau.

Currently at 60 hours, Sunday 12am - Not sure when, depends how I feel!

(Running from stupidity) #13

This might help.

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/search?q=bone%20broth%20fast

Let me know your results, and I may try that!
Need to drop 5 lbs.

Great!
Thank you, I don’t really need to do autoghy, more just to drop 5 lbs.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #16

I’m already down 5lbs, but haven’t refed yet

(back and doublin' down) #17

Typically, I’ve put back on about 1/2 of what I lose during a fast. less if I make it a point to stay hydrated and keep my electrolytes balanced.

I hear those last pounds are the toughest. And, the scale can waiver several pounds from one day to the next.

Good Luck! KCKO