HALF-PRICE SPAM, AUSSIES! (Suck it, rest of world! [1])

(Running from stupidity) #1

This is from my Woolies catalog for the specials that start TOMORROW (WEDNESDAY). I’m in Victoria, but I believe it’s Australia-wide.

[1] Except, you know, I’m sure this is still more expensive with 50 percent off than you pay normally. Still, HALF PRICE!

(less is more, more or less) #2

Does this qualify as a low-carb skit?

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #3

Goodness! I buy no-name “spam” from my local Co-Op regular price is about $3.50(CAD)/kg…but it never goes on sale. :slight_smile:

BTW Speaking of Woolies (I’m an Aussie in Canada)… I was listening to a Brissy radio station last week and did I hear correctly that Big W is being sold off?

:grin::grin::grin:

(Running from stupidity) #5

Troll [1]

You KNOW it does.

Well, no surprises there :slight_smile:

We have the no-name stuff here, too, which is likewise cheaper, but it’s got more carbs, much as the non-name cream cheese does.

BTW Speaking of Woolies (I’m an Aussie in Canada)… I was listening to a Brissy radio station last week and did I hear correctly that Big W is being sold off?

Bloke, I have no idea. I’m a hermit :slight_smile:

[1] My job, leave it to me. I am the #1 forum troll, I was told so last week :slight_smile:

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #6

Yeah, I put it in quotes as it’s no-name spam…real spam is enough of a mystery, but I figure no-name brand just takes that to the next level irony…the spam of spam. It burns real good in a fire too!

(Running from stupidity) #7

Doesn’t it just?

the spam of spam. It burns real good in a fire too!

:slight_smile:

(Carl Keller) #8

I was fed that stuff all too often when I was a kid. Won’t touch the stuff any more. I can still remember how the whole house smelled like spam after it was fried up. To me, SPAM stands for Something Posing As Meat.

I tried it for the very first time on Sunday - seems I like the smell and the taste :slightly_smiling_face:

(Carl Keller) #10

I won’t deny it’s not bad when had occassionally. I made the mistake of telling my mother I liked it and she bought a year’s supply…

That’s quality mothering :smiley:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #12

My mom says this. My dad wasn’t allowed to have it often and we were discouraged from eating the “mystery meat”. I don’t care for Spam but I could eat 20 cans of Vienna Sausages so…

(Doug) #13

Best price I see in the U.S. is $18.48 (Sam’s Club) for 8 x 12 ounces = 2.72 kg.

Thus, $6.79 per kg.; convert for the currency = $9.24 AUS per kg.

$2.45 AUS for 340 g = $7.21 AUS per kg. You’re getting a good deal. :sunglasses:

We’re still paying for convenience, in both cases. That same Sam’s Club, for example, has boneless pork loin for $4.50 AUS per kg.

(Running from stupidity) #14

Not ALL that long ago it was $1.10 in our favour :frowning:

Can’t get close to that.

(Carl Keller) #15

@PetaMarie This brings back memories. Haven’t thought of those since the '80s. I need to find them next time I go shopping. :slight_smile:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #16

Ew.

It was a bit interesting when it came out of the tin I’ll admit :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Running from stupidity) #18

Once you can GET it out of the tin :slight_smile:

All part of the Spam experience :grin:

(Running from stupidity) #20