Hairy Pork Belly

I bought some pork belly from a local butcher, it still has some hair on it. In various other websites suggest shaving or using a blowtorch… Anyone have a suggestion that does not involve shaving or burning? (seriously, what average person has a razor dedicated to shaving meat… or a blow torch??)

I would go to another butcher next time. That’s their job!!

(James storie) #3

I thought that was why the pigs get scalded before being processed, to get rid of the hair. I would definitely look for another butcher or express your dislike!

I occasionally get a farm raised pig from a local farmer. I made the mistake of asking for some skin for chicharones. Hair was not removed.

Well, razors are cheap (can get them for less than $1). I have a blow torch though, as they are useful for a lot of things (jobs around the house and working on cars, etc), including good for cooking (seem to be pretty common for certain kinds of chefs, and I’ve used it for a few recipes). They also aren’t that expensive (note, you probably don’t need or want a welding torch for this job. A simple common kitchen butane torch will probably get it done).

(m) #6

I need to see the look on the face of whomever walks in on you shaving your pork belly!

(m) #7

Whoops, this is way old. Sorry!

To say my wife had some questions would be an understatement. Looking back, I should have had candles lit and Barry White playing just to round out the creepy “wtf” vibe… :wink:

(Dean) #9

I bought pork bell yesterday and got it home and noticed a nipple on it ! cut it off, its cooking right now and it smells awesome!

(m) #10

Haha oh gawwwwwd. I don’t know if I could deal with that! Well done!

(James storie) #11

What! I would live to have the piece with the nipple! :laughing:

(James storie) #12

That’s supposed to say love! :joy: