Hair loss on keto

conversationstarters
hairloss
newbies

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #42

I love chilli too…but my lips don’t! :laughing:
They swell and take ages to go back to normal!

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #43

This is very sweet of you! If you want some extra brownie points though, you could always come over and help us hoover up all the shedded hair on our carpets! I’ll give you a list of the places I’ve found hair…my mum even moaned about finding my hair in the utensil drawer the other day so I guess that needs to be sorted out too! :joy::joy:

My hair sleuthing days are long behind me.

The worst it gets now is the occasional whisker tickling my nose. :slight_smile:

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #45

I’ve had an idea!! I’ll gather up all the hair and make a nice wig out of it! I’ll feature it on the Keto Kraft thread…:thinking:

(Marianne) #46

I guess I should start eating chilis; natural lip filler!

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #47

Hello all!

Just wanted to come back to this topic and provide an update/advice/remedies…for anyone in the future who searches hair loss and stumbles across this thread experiencing similar hair loss horrors, or for anyone experiencing hair loss at this current time. I know how shit it is, and I just wanted to provide some more info as I notice some threads on here don’t get revisited:-

Hair loss for me has been particularly painful - I’ve always loved my hair, and thought I’d managed to get away with the reported hair fall that ketoers experience. But I was wrong :rofl:

It has dramatically decreased in the last few weeks, mainly because I’ve taken extra steps. I’ve stopped fasting and HIIT’s which I now know after experimenting were massive stressors on my body. I clearly need the extra calories in the morning so in a weird way, hair loss has helped me to find this balance and realise I needed more food. I don’t hold back on protein now - I never really did, but I don’t pay attention to my protein target anymore, and I take a collagen supplement in the morning in my coffee which has made my skin look AMAZING!! Smoothed out some wrinkles and given my face a nice ‘dewy’ appearance.

One other thing that I will thank @atomicspacebunny for her wonderful advice, is MSM powder. This has helped the most I think. I’ll tell you now it tastes absolutely vile (think nail polish remover) so I encapsulate it and take about 5g of this a day but I take this religiously and I have noticed such a difference even in the growth of my eyelashes. My skin was particularly dry when the hair loss was at it’s worst which tells me that I was definitely lacking something and MSM powder brought some hydration back to my skin.

The final thing that I got was a special shampoo to help prevent hair loss. In the UK it’s called Waterman’s Grow Me shampoo and conditioner. Rather expensive but when I ran out for a few days I definitely noticed a few more strands in the shower using my normal stuff. It contains caffeine - I’m sure there’s an equivalent where ever in the world you are :slight_smile:

Anyway hope this helps someone in the future. Hair loss on keto is pants - it’s been the worst thing for me but it does get better. Eventually! :rofl::upside_down_face:

(traci simpson) #48

Like Methylsulfonylmethane? I don’t see anything about hair loss?

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #49

Yes that’s the stuff. Have you not?

(traci simpson) #50

I’ve used this in conjunction with Chondroitin but not for hair loss. For joint health.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #51

It’s brilliant stuff. So glad I found it

(traci simpson) #52

I’ll give it a go.

(Edith) #53

I had to do the same thing. I had two periods of hair loss. I realized I was probably not getting enough nutrients with my food. I’m 53 and 5’ 3”. It doesn’t take a lot of keto food to
satiate me. I cut my hair short so the new hairs could catch up with the already existing hairs. I upped my calories and nutrient density and my new hairs have come in quite nicely.

My hair is not back to its youthful glory, but I’m pretty happy with how it looks and feels now.

(traci simpson) #54

That is exactly what I am thinking about doing.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #55

We honestly never know how much our bodies require until it starts telling us in other ways.

To this day I’m still quite astounded at the amount of calories my body prefers. I do so much better on days when I get more fat in. Even though I ‘thought’ I was getting enough food, it’s clear I wasn’t.

Have you tried MSM powder or collagen? I cannot recommend them enough :blush:

(Ginger's KetoInThe.UK) #56

I personally found that hairloss issues on keto depend on calorie deficit more than lack of protein, thought the assumption makes sense since hair is made out of keratin.
Due to homeostatic processes seems like hair growth is one of the first processes that get “discarded” if calorie deficit is too high for a prolonged amount of time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD_jrfVD0Sw

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #57

I totally agree with this. Since I posted this I have started eating three full meals a day (rather than just my usual cream in coffee in the morning) and I’ve noticed a huge difference. Even though I ‘thought’ I was getting enough I clearly wasn’t. Protein is so important. I learned this the hard way!!