Had to turn in my official Carnivore Card yesterday

(Robin) #1

Hey all, yesterday I went nuts on purpose.
My favorite Korean Market finally reopened their kitchen. First time since Covid.
I drove there immediately and ordered a Kimchi pancake (with eggs, no flour, fried crisp crisp crisp).

Veggies do not agree with me. In fact, they can cause me to get painfully ill.
Yesterday I risked it all… on purpose.
It was huge.
It was better than I even remember.
It was heaven.
I considered doling it out, conservatively, carefully….
Instead I inhaled the whole thing and licked my fingers.

If you know me, you know my addictive past and terror of the old slippery slope.
Yesterday I risked it all.
It was totally worth it. I feel fine.

And I will never go there again.

(Veronica) #2

We all have our weak moments, so great you got away with it and felt fine! :slight_smile: Your moment with the veggies reminded me of the last meal I had to part with gluten. I had a whole shop bought pizza and I ate the whole thing myself, lol. I used to eat a whole such (shop bought) pizza every friday, prior to starting keto. I still miss the smell of it when my partner has one for himself, or garlic bread. But … Never again. As to veggies, I don’t think I have any intolerances there, but to lower the carbs I’ve cut down on my veggies too. I don’t know enough about the carnivore diet, though I’ve heard of it, is it just meat and dairy? I found gluten was making me ill so I had sufficient motivation to cut that out which made proceeding with the keto diet much easier. Diet is something so individual and really, I do believe in intuitive eating there, provided it’s also accompanied with research and knowledge.

(Marianne) #3

I say good for you. My husband and I celebrated our 20th anniversary on Weds. and we went out for drinks and apps at our favorite chinese place. We got two orders of fried chicken wings. They are coated with cornstarch with makes them so incredibly crispy but melt in your mouth. Anyway, maybe twice a month I’ll have them, and it’s okay. They don’t lead or tempt me to deviate beyond that and they don’t awaken the sleeping beast of my food compulsion. We all have to do/find what’s right for us. If you have your pancakes every once in a while and don’t suffer from it otherwise, I don’t see anything wrong with it.

(Denise) #4

Did you take some readings Robin? I’d be curious how high they spiked your BG. I forget but I don’t think you are diabetic though. I’ve often thought of venturing out with other foods, but I don’t do restaurants. I just am really stuck on eating at home, but who knows what the future might hold. I often wondered how I’d survive if I was forcefully taken away from my home and foods, or if my foods just vanished off the markets :thinking:

I would be DOOMED but I do have some plan B and C and other ideas for really worse situations. But not fully without my staples… shudder

(Laurie) #6

I wonder too. Like, what if I have to go to a nursing home or something? I’d get just token amounts of meat, etc. I can’t eat the other stuff, but they wouldn’t believe me.

Once I was in the hospital for a few days. Every day, breakfast was cereal, a muffin, juice, etc. – no eggs. I had prepared for the hospital stay by cooking and bagging keto food at home. I asked my boyfriend to bring me one freezer package and one fridge package each day, but that was too complicated.

(Denise) #7

Hi Laurie, what an excellent thing to bring up! I have often thought about this and am so hoping my Keto future allows me to die at home when the time comes. I mean in my own bed, not a hospital bed or be at the hands of any incompetency. I am sickened by just the smell of the food being cooked and served at the local Senior Center :frowning: I know for a fact the people here with Diabetes are eating it, and others w/o diabetes as well, but other age-related issues.

The hospital is an incompetent one as well, for one reason, they are so short, staffed. No one wants to live and work at the hospital in this rather dead-end town. I’m stuck for now, but have irons in the fire searching and hoping to move soon. My Home-State has good, even excellent medical not only in my Home-county, but the neighboring county where my brother now lives.

(Laurie) #8

Yes, it is scary. We can work toward staying healthy so we don’t have to go there. I’m glad they have good medical where you are.

(Robin) #9

Denise, I’ve never taken my BG. Never had to, thankfully.
Oddly, I never had any reaction at all afterward. But that doesn’t mean I intend to step off the path again. I think I was lucky to get this one, and not to have any I’ll effects or subsequent cravings. Whew!

(Denise) #10

not where I am, it’s so bad Laurie people have to be either driven inland, 2-3 hours or flown over the Mountains ;( if they need surgery or many of the treatments people might need.

Our pharmacies are closing, or only open half time because we can’t even keep any pharmicists to stay long.

(Denise) #11

It says a lot to me for people that didn’t “have to lower” their carbs and do Keto! I don’t know that I would have tried it if it weren’t so scarey when I was told I had T2 diabetes!

(Robin) #12

I admit my one and only reason to try keto was to once and for all gain control of my weight. It was only later that I realized how bad my overall health was before. SO many things I simply accepted as my reality… I can’t begin to list how much my health and my life has improved over these last couple of years. I feel like I discovered the fountain of youth. I may look my age, but I certainly do not feel it.

We got lucky, Denise!

Dr. Sean O’Mara talks on the observed benefits of combining beef eating with kimchi in Korean culture. There may be benefit to your WOE with some added kimchi? Here, have your carnivore card back, it’s made of bacon. :bacon:

(Megan) #14

Loved reading this @robintemplin. Made me laugh. Good for you!

(Alec) #15

I am 100% sure there is a chocolate cheesecake somewhere in my future… just not now!

Glad you enjoyed your blowout. Let us know if you do get any cravings and we will drag you from the car!

(Rebecca ) #16

Robin, I think the fact that you planned it and enjoyed it is brilliant!!
If we can’t do that once I a while then life would be boring!
I’ve never had Korean food, but your description sounds intriguing!

Kimchi is just… nom. Soooooo good xD I used to make my own as it’s really not a complex process.

I used to make a lot of Korean food, but it’s not all terribly Keto friendly unfortunately, so that’s had to die out ; )

you are not locked into ‘carnivore lifestyle’ if you are one who can do ‘a more keto plan’ lifestyle and ‘get away with it in fine fashion’ but we ALL know key to it all is are you ok, craving again, physical and mental changes to ‘eat all that stuff again’ and more that HITS these points in WHY many of us REQUIRE carni as a lifestyle ya know.

it is ok to go nuts. NOW SEE in real truth ‘that extra’. In that you are ok for XYZ amt of days and more thoughts are now, I did fine on that :slight_smile: but IF it hits in a bit and I want this or that to do ‘fine ok on’ and it snowballs ya know.

that is why I only do 1 bite of any food rarely off my zc plan, but you might be a ‘Ketovore’ person now…it is all about you but I see a binge. I see ALL in FEED me the stuff I loved and this is my thought from me, I would be all in and off the rails literally but if you are not me then more power to you LOL :sunny:

for ‘us’ and you might never be ‘one of us’ we are one meal away from disaster and ill health again but a healed body can handle an intake of ick, but til?

again just chat and knowing who you are and on what ya want but if you did ok on that, you might have alot more tolerance to go a ‘bit back’ and ‘include’ and only you will find that and more power to ya!!!

wish I could go back but it ain’t me ever ans there is no ‘turning in your carnivore card’ in a way cause ya been there, done, official member, but learned more of what you ‘can do in the food menu’ than others can so rock out you at all times :clown_face:

(Denise) #19

Can’t agree more, sometimes that diagnoses seemed the best thing that ever happened to me. Speak of health, I’m looking for info on best things for dry skin. I’m sure it’s another “inside” job and my new multi-vitamin may help. I know some things just can’t be fixed, I haven’t found the fountain of youth but I feel so good these days I can’t believe my age either :wink:

(Denise) #20

I’d make that one, if I find a good recipe, keto friendly. I love using Stevia, takes so little with my cocao powder and how I love cream cheese :wink:

Dang, just found this recipe!! I’m goin for this, it’s a baby-cheesecake, I’ll let you know how it turns out :wink: