Gut microbes influence the body's response to high-fat diet

Rat study but still cool.

(David Driver) #2

I beleive that they are going to find that the bacteria you are exposed to as an infant is way more influential than heredity. After all we have more cells in us that are not us than we have cells that are us.

I believe the benefits of a natural birth on the child’s gut microme biome has been proven to be very beneficial

From the article:

…could lead to doctors prescribing personalized diets for patients based on the unique composition of their gut flora.

That sounds great. It would also be better if doctors and nutritionists based dietary intervention on glucose tolerance and insulin resistance instead of a one-size-fits-all mentality.

BTW, rodents in studies that say “high fat diet” are really get a high processed carb plus high fat diet, which is not something they tolerate well.

(Solomom A) #5

In a recent study, http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fmicb.2017.01141/full on MS patients and the KETO diet, the authors Concluded that:
Colonic biofermentative function is markedly impaired in MS patients.The
ketogenic diet normalized concentrations of the colonic microbiome after 6 months.

(Siobhan) #6

Here is what they were eating.
“Chow”. The high fat diet was 30% pig fat and 28% glucose or whatever for those curious
In suplemental materials on study

Something tells me pigs aren’t a normal part of a rat/mouse diet. Maybe I should use :bacon: in my mouse trap next time. :thinking:
Naaaaah!