Gundry Food Pyrimid "Plant Paradox"

conversationstarters
science
vegetables

(Brittany Culbert) #1

What are thoughts on the Gundry Food Pyrimid?

I prefer less veges myself, and limit fruit to blackberries and blueberries. This diet looks like an improvement over SAD for sure though.

(Stacy Blanchard) #3

I like that you can have more wine than red meat. Ha ha. I eat a more carnivore diet so this would not be my go to pyramid. I am on the wait list at the library to read his book. I’m sure there is some useful information in it. I think it is a big step up from the SAD diet but I still think there are way more options for optimum health especially considering we are not a one size fits all simplistic copies of each other. Many people have intolerance that don’t bother others. Some have huge hormonal problems that create difficulties. I have continued to tailor my food to what best works for me. I do not have good results with dairy so that is out for me. I do crave veggies and add them in as I feel my body is asking for them. I think it is important to know your own unique body and to be in tune with your metabolic needs.

(Brian) #4

The first thing that came to mind when I saw this was:

When I saw the bananas in that category of “eat all you want” (if I read the chart right), I instantly remembered that 2 bananas raised blood sugar by the guy in the post mentioned above by way, way more than the same carb levels of eating to regular (sugar filled) candy bars.

Maybe some people really can eat all the “resistant starches” they want to. I’m reluctant to believe that for anyone who may be teetering on insulin resistance.

Interesting thought.

I’m mixed on Gundry, I was all about that book until about the 1/2 mark and it seemed like he REALLY wants to tell you to be a vegetarian, but isn’t stupid enough to bury himself by saying the words so he tells you to eat a children’s amount of meat and to moderate that even. Also seems that by advise he’s a lot more inline with Paleo than a typically LCHF/Keto approach. I have thought about some of those veggies that get ya though, may try removing some and seeing what happens.

(Brian) #7

Yup, your post. :wink:

(Jim) #8

Don’t forget the 37 supplements he wants to sell you because the eating plan is not nutritious enough for real people … that was the most exciting part of the book ;0)

Although … Kelly Clarkston endorses it so it must be good right?!

(Brian) #9

I think the thing that gets me putting on the brakes the most is that I came from a vegetarian background, and became obese, insulin resistant and generally falling apart eating a vegan / vegetarian diet. I don’t feel like going back to that way of eating is the right direction for me. For some people, it may be a viable option to good health, I won’t dispute that.

I do eat my veggies. I like my veggies. But I need more than just veggies and a little fish to thrive. Since becoming a picky omnivore, I think my health is about the best it’s been in a couple of decades.

(Edith) #10

No offense to you wine drinkers, but why is wine lower on the pyramid than red meat?