Grilling tips, recipes, etc?

(Casey Brown) #1

I purchased my first house last fall and just got an outdoor gas grill! I’ve never grilled before, let alone keto style (R.I.P. Barbecue sauce…) Does anyone have any tips and tricks for me?

Simple starter marinade is let meat (like chicken thighs or steaks) marinate in fridge for a few hours in a simple marinade made with freshly squeezed lemon juice, fresh (or dried) thyme leaves, extra virgin olive oil, diced garlic, salt and pepper.

It’s a simple marinade…test this out…and then, in the next round, you can make adjustments…like add a bit of cayenne, more garlic, substitute rosemary for the thyme, and so on. I gave you the basic framework above…now, it will be up to you to dial it in to what you like best for your taste buds.Have fun!!!

(matt ) #3

Learn about using a hot side and a warm (or cooler) side on the grill to avoid scorching your food. Constant high heat is not your friend.

(matt ) #4

Oh get a meat thermometer. I love the Thermapen. It’s my favorite kitchen tool.

(matt ) #5

Avoid putting any sauce on until the very end as most will burn. If you marinate the meat scrape most off before you grill. You can simmer the marinade and brush it back on at the end if you like

(matt ) #6

Since it’s a new grill you can check for hotspots by taking a loaf of bread and covering the grates with the bread. Let it cook for a bit then turn over all the bread and see which pieces got the darkest. Those areas are your hot spots.

(matt ) #7

If you clean your grill with a wire brush be really careful and look for any bristles that may have fallen off. You can also wipe down the grates with an oiled paper towel to grab any bristles. If anyone ingests a bristle they are in for a horrible time and can even die.

(John) #8

As matt mentioned, you need to look up 2-zone cooking, it’s the only way to live. Also, digital thermometer, all grilling is done by temp. Thermoworks is great, and their main one is on sale right now for $59, if that is a little steep I have a couple of these by the same people, accurate, just takes longer.

(Donna-Rae Crowell) #9

Good idea, but we don’t have bread in our houses anymore if we are keto. I guess the answer would be to buy some for this experiment.