Green Giant

(chris) #1

There has been a big trend here in the middle of nowhere Iowa. It is hard to find keto friendly foods in my area but I keep seeing more and more show up. We have probably all seen Mashed or rice cauliflower but I just wanted to say that the Green Giant Bacon and Cheddar mashed cauliflower is real real good it has real bacon in it.
Bacon Cheddar Mashed Cauliflower

(Michelle) #2

Do you know if you can make cauliflower mash without a food processor?

(chris) #3

I go by the grocery store here about once a week and each time I go in this guy who does the stocking of the frozen food section says oooh hey we have something new. then points me to the new cauliflower items that just came in.

(bulkbiker) #4

of course… cook the cauliflower (boil or steam) and mash…If you want it a bit drier put it in the oven for 15 minutes to dry out…use a fork or masher for the mashing bit…

(chris) #5

I have read some recipes for it but I don’t have a food processor myself. This page does say that you can just Mash it with a potato masher. It should even be cheaper to do it this way.

(Michelle) #6

I am really glad to see Green Giant come out with these new veggie options. Looks like they are trying to appeal to broader groups, and having options that are both easy and more nutrient dense.

(bulkbiker) #7

No idea what they charge for these but I would imagine they are far more expensive than making your own. I’m guessing Green Giant have seen a new market and are hoping to get there first to capture the bucks…I doubt it is philanthropy on their part…

(Michelle) #8

oh yes, agree. I would rather make my own since I’m now so paranoid of vegetable oils. BUT, this may appeal to the masses and be a better alternative.

(chris) #9

they are 5.99 where I am at so yea it is a bit more than I would like to pay but they are good and you can cook then in the oven or microwave and there is no difference in taste from what I have tried

birds eye also came out with some flavored ones this last week in smaller portions roasted garlic and sour cream and chives. I did buy those as well to try them out.

(chris) #10

The Green Giant website had recipes for the mashed cauliflower like pancakes…

https://www.greengiant.com/recipes/cheddar-bacon-cauliflower-pancakes/

(Aarn Farmer) #11

I steam a head until it is soft, then throw it in a bowl with butter and cream cheese. Then i just stir and chop it up with a spoon. It makes for a dish with a little more texture than mashed potatoes but I prefer it.

(Georgia) #12

Those cauliflower pancakes are exactly what we used to do with leftover mashed potatoes when I was growing up.

I bought another brand of mashed cauliflower about a month ago (got it at Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market). It was okay, but was kind of watery after microwaving. It worked in a pinch, but I agree, homemade is much better.