Greek Yogurt

(Guardian of the bacon) #3

Greek yogurt is one of those foods that fall into a gray area with the keto police. I just yesterday found some for the first time made with whole milk. It actually gets about 1/2 of its calories from fat where most yogurts on the market including Greek are 0% fat.

As far as the carbs. The sugars are alledgedly partially consumed in the fermentation process. I’ve not seen to what degree. My vote is to buy Whole Milk Yogurt if available. Make sure it is plain with no added fruits. And enjoy it in moderation.

I found Meijer store brand and Chobani in the whole milk Greek version.

(Genevieve Biggs) #4

If you can find a whole milk Greek yogurt, you can cut the carbs by mixing it with some sour cream or HWC. :smiley:

Fage Total has 8 g of carbs. I really like that brand, but I very rarely ever get it because that is kind of hard to fit in.

Here’s one of my favorite Greek yogurts, it’s Canadian:

And check out the carbs, as well as the fat to protein ratio! 10% fat

I love the variety of high quality full fat yogurts here in Canada. We even have the kind in little glass pots (like in Europe). And it’s in normal grocery stores…not fancy high end gourmet shops.

(Carol E. ) #8

Related post

(Jacquie) #9

OMG! That’s one of my favourites, too! Found it when I lived in Vancouver. Fabulously creamy. :slight_smile:

(Jacquie) #10

Haven’t seen this where I live… yet. If you’re in Montreal, I’ve very jealous of your food choices. :wink:

Nope, I’m in Vancouver.

(Jacquie) #12

Funny, lived there for over 30 years! Love that city. Even better food choices. :-:wink:

Omg, yes. I LOVE this city! And the food choices are amazing. Too bad you moved away. We could have connected in person in a meatup, go out for a cup of coffee or a piece of bacon :smiley:

(Jacquie) #14

That would have been wonderful! :slight_smile:

Let me know when you are in these parts, that would be awesome to get together!

(Jacquie) #16

It probably won’t be in the foreseeable future as I’m not from Vancouver and most friends moved away but if I do, I’ll let you know, for sure.

(Guardian of the bacon) #17

Calculating carbs in yogurt.

This author explains it in a way that makes sense

Why the nutrition label may be off.

(VLC.MD) #18

Is Yogurt Low Carb ?
Is Yogurt Keto ?

I’ve been telling people to avoid it.
A LCHF friend of mine eats it for breakfast daily.
She’s ot losing weight.

is 3/4 cup 5g carbs (all sugar) worth it ?

Fine for Keto maintenance ?

Maybe it is a tweener food ?

(Brian) #19

Most of the yogurt that I see in the grocery store (usually looking at Greek yogurt) has most, or usually all, of the carbs coming from sugar. It’s not usually a huge number and I don’t eat very big portions of it but I’m definitely mindful of those carbs when I do eat a little yogurt.

As said above, it’s kind of a gray area and not something I’m in the habit of eating every day. I don’t beat myself up or loathe life itself for three days if I happen to have a little. I’m just aware that I really don’t want too much of it.

The sugar shown is from before the yogurt was made. You’d expect the bacteria to eat a certain amount, maybe up to a third of that total.

(CCC) #22

abandoned comment

(Erik) #23

For about 8 years now I’ve been making my own.
If it wasn’t easy I wouldn’t have continued the habit.
Greek yogurt is just plain yogurt drained of whey.
I like knowing I’m eating truly active probiotic cultures.
15 minutes work, 11hrs in the machine and overnight in the fridge = 7 days supply of fresh tangy yogurt.
Y’all should consider it…