Greek Keto

(Janelle) #1

We’re heading to Athens later today for a week. I figure I’ll share my keto experiences here. Horror of horrors, I can’t eat lamb and goat cheese makes me ill so I’ll have to work around that.

If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to add. We’ll probably grab a bunless burger at the airport since we’ll be there over dinner and then I may fast through the flight - we’ll see. My old eating brain says, but, no - you NEED to eat while captive on a 10 hour flight which is actually really overnight EST. My keto brain knows better.

Sounds fun. I am sure you can find keto foods. Are you able to cook where you’re staying? This is how you say low carb: χαμηλή σε υδατάνθρακες (chamilí se ydatánthrakes)

(Janelle) #3

Thank you - no. It’s a smallish hotel near the Acropolis. They provide a “continental breakfast” which I’m hoping includes a little cheese or sausage. If not, I’ll fast til lunch.

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #4

Souvlaki, gyros minus the pita, a little tzatziki (not too much though - it has garlic), salad with an olive oil based dressing, etc. My gf is Greek so I’ve experimented a little in Greek Keto :joy: I hope you have a fantastic trip!

Edit - I know it’s not Keto, but you have to try at least one dolmathe (stuffed grape leaf) :drooling_face:

(Janelle) #5

We made it to Grreece! This is no small task considering the the saga of my last trip to India.

Airport food sucked. Hard to find much in the International terminal in Atlanta - bunless burger at a way overused TGI Friday’s in Atlanta. Hubby won’t fast so he picked through bad airline food in the planes.

When we finally got here, went 50ft from the hotel and ordered a truly Greek dinner. A salad, haliumi cheese and souvlaki. The fries and carrots remained on the plate - yummy!

Looks delicious, and nice and simple!

(Janelle) #7

Breakfast was lovely absolutely plain but wonderful Greek thick yogurt, cheese and salami. I’m in heaven! Will find a Lidl and buy heavy cream for coffee as the hotel has a Nespresso station and we have a small fridge in our room.

Good to see you’re finding some ‘Greeketo’ food.

btw Did you know that Keto (Κητώ) means ‘sea monster’ in Greek and it was the name of a primordial sea goddess in Greek mythology (she was also Medusa’s mother)!

(Running from stupidity) #9

Just shout “KETO! I AM KETO!” and you’ll be fine, I think that’s the advice. Pretty sure.

Greek cuisine isnt all about lamb and goat cheese . We mostly eat lamb in Easter. Its the mediterranean diet, mixed with whatever people eat all over the world(fast food etc…)… In most taverns, restaurants u can eat good meat with salads of all kinds! With nice quality olive oil of course. And feta and haloumi . Besides that, u can find everything here…especially in Athens, where most tourists go

(Janelle) #11

In a small restaurant in Nafplio. Beef with Roquefort sauce and grilled veggies. Of course with the salad that came before.

(Janelle) #12

Made it to a little store to get small boxes of HWC for morning coffee. The room has a fridge for keto accoutrements. Walked 12k steps today. That should negate the tiny mastic liqueur that I drank.

(Janelle) #13

This is a very keto friendly place. Not complaining.

(Janelle) #14

Tried at least one dolmade (ok so 3 smalll ones throughout the week) I have always loved them!

Home now. Kept it pretty keto. I ate a few small corners of pita twice and a lot of cheese and plain Greek yogurt. Ate more tomatoes and olives than I would have normally.

We walked our feet off. 12k - 16k steps a day.

I won’t lie - it was hard sometimes to find anything but souvlaki, gyros and such - a lot of which was listed with pita and potatoes. I told the wait staff I didn’t eat potatoes and often got grilled or boiled veggies.

I deem Greece to be keto friendly! Airplane and airport food not so much - that’s a challenge.

(Kristin) #15

Thanks for the food tour.:smiley: