Great read about how and why the carnivore lifestyle is so great

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Excellent intro to keto. He discusses reasons to eat a ketogenic diet rather than SAD. Yes, he does express his opinion that carnivore is the easiest and maybe preferable way to implement keto. Just based on human evolutionary past, which he mentions briefly, Iā€™d mostly agree with that opinion Yet everything he says is also 100% valid for other variants of keto. Thanks for the link. :meat_on_bone::poultry_leg::cut_of_meat::bacon:

yea this site also covers a ā€˜keto aureliusā€™ too so he kinda has alot of info on all of itā€¦this group does keto/carnivore and pushes it as the way to head if one wants to heal.

(Joey) #4

Thanks for the link. As noted, lots of valuable info and important concepts are covered.

[Being a stickler for grammar and spelling, I find the numerous typos to be distracting enough to undermine credibility. With proper proofreading effort he could significantly increase his potential impact. :nerd_face:]

(Bob M) #5

Except that person now thinks you need to carbs because of T3. Or at least the person using that moniker on Twitter thinks that.

(Joey) #6

True. Although heā€™s not alone in that view.

Some research (mostly on epileptic children) suggests that ketogenic diet leads to lower Free T3 levels, although a majority but not in all individuals.

(Bob M) #7

Though Amber Oā€™Hearn has an article arguing ā€œlow T3ā€ on carnivore isnā€™t an issu.

(Bob M) #8

http://www.ketotic.org/2014/12/the-effect-of-ketogenic-diets-on.html

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

It may well do so. The therapeutic ketogenic diet for epilepsy is extremely low in protein and extremely high in fat. Whether a lower T3 level is a problem or not is a separate question.

(Bob M) #10

Man, I keep getting internal gateway errors. Canā€™t change my previous posts to correct grammar, etc.

(Joey) #11

Interesting tip ā€¦ will definitely follow up on this to learn more.

Personal interest: In trying to better understand CAC score rising despite diligent keto, I had a comprehensive thyroid function doneā€¦ My own Free T3 levels sit at the bottom edge of the ā€œreferenceā€ range (which I understand to be the population average, not an indication of an inherently healthy zone).

Yet I have NO symptoms of hypothyroidism ā€¦ on the contrary, high energy, feel fantastic, weight lean/stable, etc. But itā€™s a curiosity that may affect K2/D3 uptake - which affects calcification - so Iā€™m trying to better understand all these moving parts. :roll_eyes:

(Bob M) #12

I also never had any symptoms, other than getting cold, which (looking back) I think was due to fasting too much.

I only had one complete set of thyroid tests, taken when low carb/keto for about 5.75 years:

I had to pay for these, as most doctors have no idea about thyroid.

The problem is that tests taken on people who have been keto (or carnivore) for a while areā€¦non-existent. The citations by Amber Oā€™Hearn are measured in days, not years.

Itā€™s too bad I did not know what these were, or I couldā€™ve gotten them taken over time. As it is, I have one - and only one - complete workup, and donā€™t really know what to do with it.

(Joey) #13

Well, by ā€œnormalā€ standards, your thyroid function looks great across-the-board. :+1: So much for keto impairing your thyroid function!

I agree itā€™s really challenging to know what to do with such info. So many conflicting points of view - all of which sound convincing in their own way.

As for historical record, our internist ordered a single thyroid test (TSH) on me a couple of years ago as part of an annual physical. TSH looked fine and no clinical issues suggesting thyroid concerns, so he never looked further again.

Currently (despite ā€œmeagerā€ Free T3), my TSH remains almost unchanged from pre-keto days ā€¦ so who knows what my Free T3 might have been pre-keto? Alas. :man_shrugging:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

Ewe just have to learn not to let it phase ewe that with autocarrot and autocompleat people know longer no how to proof-reed theyā€™re posts.

(Joey) #15

Sew tru

(Ian) #16

Even if you are not familiar with the science, there is so much good information in this article that intuitively ā€œjust makes senseā€.

Thanks for the link, I will be distributing it to family and friends.

(Joey) #17

So, Iā€™ve read through this and related (cited) papers and there seems to be reasonably compelling support for the notion that, while ketosis can lower Free T3, it is appropriate metabolically inasmuch as lower levels of T3 are required when carb-restricted.

Fascinating stuff. Many thanks again for aiming me in this direction. Time well spent.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #18

I second the thanks to @ctviggen for the link to Amberā€™s article. :+1: