Gravel Fondo!

(Karl L) #1

I did a nice event yesterday called ‘The Gravel Grape Crusher’ - it started and ended at a local vineyard/winery. 30 miles of mixed surface (gravel, pavement, dirt) with about 2600’ of elevation. At the pre-reg they gave me a bag of Hammer Nutrition gels, etc. When I got home I dumped the contents and used the bag to scoop dog poop.

That sounds like awesome fun. Sports “nutrition” is such a misnomer. I see you’re pushing sensible limits for tyre width there, working for you?, and what’s the bike, I’m looking for something gravel friendly…

(Karl L) #3

Hey Stef, there are SO many options; the gravel bike segment is really taking off. Mine is a Jamis Renegade, aluminum frame with a bit of a custom build; shimano 105 2x10 and hydraulic brakes. The tires (US spelling!) are WTB Nanos, 40mm, run tubeless. They’ve got nice tread for singletrack, but a narrow, smooth center so not too bulky or loud on pavement.

(ianrobo) #4

I do need sugar after some rides and what do I have - COKE - thats perfect !

(Todd) #5

@ianrobo - I have a few questions with that…

Does that need manifest itself as a craving? How do you feel after the coke?

I have sometimes overwhelming cravings for coke after rides.

(ianrobo) #6

good question Todd.

After a long event and say I have a way to travel home I do feel hungry. What I feel like and just a feeling is the need for Coke !! difficult to explain it exactly. After drinking it then I feel fine as of course being fat adapted is less stress on the body and recovery generally good.