Grain-free Diets linked to Heart Disease in dogs

(Karl) #1

https://www.wfla.com/8-on-your-side/fda-warns-grain-free-dog-food-could-be-linked-to-heart-disease/1314104476

Your dog still wants steak. And a statin.

The actual FDA release below. Sounds like being free of grain isnā€™t the issue, possibly rather the other sources of carbohydrates (potatos, legumes) that tend to replace grains in grain-free food. Iā€™m highly suspicious of any claims that a species that evolved to eat predominantly meat is developing dilated cardiomyopathy from not getting enough corn, wheat and rice. But itā€™s still a correlation that is worth investigating to figure out what is ultimately the root cause behind it.

https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/CVMUpdates/ucm613305.htm

(J) #4

A number of vets have told me that a dogā€™s microbiome is very similar to a humanā€™s at birth: adatpted to a largely carnivorous diet. Itā€™s through the feeding of grains in traditional dog food that we change it and makes them tolerate table scraps or other dietary changes less. If a dog is raised on ā€˜human foodā€™ as domesticated dogs were for generations, they can eat whatever their families eat!

Iā€™m sure all the raw feeders out there (including myself) are going to run out and by wheaty oā€™s for our dogs.

To be fair I didnā€™t read the article, but I canā€™t imagine lack of grains to be the issue.

(Candy Lind) #6

I hope someone tears this article apart in the near future. I stopped feeding my dog grains this spring, but lately Iā€™ve been wondering how I can decrease the non-meat content of her diet even more while still being able to keep her with us on the truck. This kind of :poop: science reinforces the decisions Iā€™m making.

(karen) #7

Yes, even the article linked starts out by saying this:

"We learned the problem is not caused by a lack of grains in your dogā€™s food. The added food, which is intended to replace the grains, is the issue. Dave Soiferman of Seminole Heights owns a dog. We asked him what he feeds her.

ā€œWe use a brand that, I think, is mainly chicken and turkey and sweet potatoes and things like that,ā€ Soiferman told WFLA.

The sweet potatoes are a clue. We are told potatoes, peas, lentils and other types of legumes are common ingredients in grain-free dog food. "

It goes on to recommend staying away from ā€œgrain freeā€, but itā€™s because of these other ingredients. I can vouch for the fact that when looking for grain free dry cat food, I came across almost no ā€œGrain Freeā€ kibble that wasnā€™t loaded with potatoes, rice, sweet potatoes, and all manner of other strange carby stuff cats would never normally eat. If ā€œGrain Freeā€ means commercial dog food thatā€™s still loaded with plant starch, Iā€™d say theyā€™re right, steer clear.

Yes I donā€™t think there is any way to make a grain free dry dog food without some kind of starchy veg or something to bulk it up. Otherwise youā€™d be feeding basically dried meat, which is expensive. However if I HAD to feed a dry food again I would probably stay away from wheat for sure. Iā€™d cycle through some good A grade brands. Also my dogs never had allergies but I got the absolute best results on a fish based grain free food. So Iā€™d include that in the cycle.

(Allie) #9

Grain free dry foods this applies to, not species appropriate natural feeding (raw).

(karen) #10

What Iā€™m personally looking for is something I can leave out for them to eat in timed dispenser while Iā€™m away. I wouldnā€™t mind a more expensive product or giving them less because itā€™s concentrated protein, but basically every dry food Iā€™ve come across is full of veggie things that makes one of my cats puke and poop randomly all over the house. Never a nice thing, especially horrible if itā€™s a friend or neighbor taking care of them.

(Allie) #11

What about dehydrating meat to make your own dry food?

(karen) #12

Oh, Iā€™m also lazy. :wink: Thatā€™s actually an awesome idea.

(Crow T. Robot) #13

Maybe I missed something, also, Iā€™m not a pet-owner, so please forgive the ignorance ā€“ but, why the need for dry food?

If I did ever get a dog, I imagine I would feed it raw meat. Is that wrong?

(Allie) #14

@Chris_W because @kib specifically mentioned she wants something that can be left out in a dispenser for the times sheā€™s away.

If itā€™s for a cat I would say that their needs are much more finicky because of the need for taurine (which is why you are not supposed to feed them dog food).

Cats have been living for years on commercial cat food and many have lived long healthy lives. Thatā€™s not to say that we canā€™t do better, but donā€™t fret too much about it. If your cat is healthy on what you are feeding them KCCO (keep calm cat on)

(Crow T. Robot) #16

Yup

(KCKO, KCFO) #17

The last dog I had would eat lettuce she loved the stuff. No other veggies interested her at all. But man, when we had lettuce in the garden, we couldnā€™t let her anywhere near the garden.

I think a lot of cats look like the one above and they can not be very healthy.

(Allie) #18

Yes. Commercial cat foods have the same effect on cats as a high carb junk food diet has on people. I decided long ago that any future kittens will be raised on raw food, but as I still have eleven of the fluff balls to look after, thereā€™ll be no kittens for a while yetā€¦

That comment was directed at kib, since she is not at a place where she wants to switch to raw for reasons and is trying to do her best finding a good way to feed her cats. I think a committed knowledgable person can do much better, but I donā€™t believe in stressing out people beyond what they are ready or able to do.

I feed my dogs a raw diet too. Cats are harder, but it can still be done. However I was going by the fact that she wanted to leave out food for her cats.

Home cooked might be one way to go. Either pressurize the crap out of the bones so they are crumbly or supplement with bone powder.

Yes, many cats are over weight and many are over fed. Many are not. Thatā€™s why I said if your cat is healthy . . .
I donā€™t support commercial food, but I donā€™t think raw/homecooked/whatever other diet is practical for everyone. Iā€™d rather see people buy a good quality commercial food like Origen or Wellness than Purina Puppy chow. Heck even Kirkland is a pretty good food.
I had a dog that wouldnā€™t eat raw meat. Another that actually did better on Acana dry food.
I feel like I might have jumped in the grass fed butter topic for dogs :wink:

(karen) #21

Yes, our poop nā€™ puker is almost 22 pounds, and heā€™s the one who will monopolize all the carby-dry food. Definitely doing better without it. Iā€™ve thought about trying to cut up some jerky treats and putting them in the dispenser - costco has one thatā€™s duck and seems not to have other weird ingredients - but itā€™s so hard to cut!

From what Iā€™ve read, if you feed cats solely a raw food diet they need the whole animal for proper nutrition, not just the muscle meat. (same with humans). I assume that would have taurine in it.

I donā€™t know how often cats have to have taurine, if itā€™s every day, every meal, or just that a perpetual diet of dog food is no good.