Got these hotdogs at Costco

(Brittany) #1

Been carnivore for almost 3 mos, and dairy free almost a month. I was keto for @ 2 years before.
Since my experiment with no dairy, I really needed to try another food- ya know, just to have something different. Well, found there huge all beef hot dogs, but they are 4 carbs.
Are they still considered carnivore?? Please share your opinions- I wouldn’t be eating them everyday, just thought I’d try something new
THANKS IN ADVANCE

(Chris) #2

If they have 4 carbs, they aren’t all-beef. Check the label- anything other than beef or some kind of sodium (nitrate or nitrite are alright) = trash.

(Brittany) #3

Well, I may just have to give them to the neighborhood cats lol

(Chris) #4

Without seeing it myself-- yeah, probably.

Unfortunately I doubt hot dogs are considered ZC by anyone serious, they’re pretty much loaded with fillers and preservatives by nature. I had some locally made ones on Friday when an in-store salesman stopped me. He was decrying the big names in hot dogs and spouting about how much crap they put in theirs…then I showed him the label on his and he went silent.

(Brittany) #5

Yea I didn’t think they were- but, I tried one…just to see. I just was looking for something new…well, I guess ill stick to what I know best. Steak and Bacon

(LeeAnn Brooks) #6

Most hot dogs will have 2 carbs per link. The Costco ones are so big, the 4 carbs isn’t surprising.

(karen) #7

Just cuz I’m a nosy bastard and bored today, I went looking. The first three ingredients are beef, water and dextrose. Baaaahhh. I doubt there’s that much dextrose in them if it’s 4 carbs, but there’s yer culprit, I think.

beef, water, dextrose, salt, spices, sodium lactate, garlic, sodium diacetate, sodium erythorbate, paprika and sodium nitrite.

Just how awful is dextrose if it fits within your carb allotment? Asking because I have a taco seasoning mix from the expensive specialty spice store that I noticed has a bit of dextrose (third from last ingredient). I know it’s not ideal but should I toss it?

(Lonnie Hedley) #9

Depends on how strict you want to be and how it affects you. I had no issues with dextrose, but cut out most all processed meats which means I’m no longer eating any dextrose.

Varies person to person. Hard to get away from if you’re eating any type of “sausage/cured meat”.

(Chris) #10

Doesn’t really matter. It’s sugar and should be avoided on a carnivorous diet.

(Lonnie Hedley) #11

Oops, forgot this thread was about carnivore and not just Keto.

Agree, if you’re trying to do carnivore I’d avoid hot dogs. Especially when you can be eating ribeyes.