Got called a Keto Snob today

(Stacey) #81

I know exactly what you mean! I just saw the movie Fed Up last night, which is about childhood obesity and sugar. Mama June’s daughter, Honey Boo Boo is overweight for her age, and it will only set her up for health problems in the future. The sooner something is done about it, the better. I don’t think it’s mean spirited or keto snobbery to feel sad for the little girl. She probably wants to lose weight but doesn’t know how.

(Richard Hanson) #82

Hello Dawn,

One of the problems is that Mama June Shannon lost her weight by having surgery performed on a perfectly health organ, her stomach. She has no idea how to loose weight so how can she possibly help her child?

Please let me assure you that you are not a horrible person, not in the least, just the opposite. It is the king man or woman that cares for others, that experiences empathy for other people. I just try to remember that I can only help people who are at a place in the life where they can accept help

Keto for Life!

Best Regards,
Richard

(Dawn) #83

You’re 100% correct. She probably has no clue how to lose weight. Gastric bypass is not cheating by any means, but it is a short cut that may not prepare you for how to eat for a lifetime of health. Many people learn in a crash course, but some never learn. I am not judging, I am speaking from the experience my mother had. My mother had the gastric sleeve and lost 70 pounds, but she NEVER changed her eating habits. She didn’t gain all of the weight back because every time the weight started to come back, she would just tighten the sleeve again and then go eat her donuts. When she was diagnosed with cancer, the Dr. tried to put her on a light weight form of keto. She couldn’t do it because she had never learned to eat that way. And the chemo pills pushed her into full diabetes because she never treated her insulin problem. She ultimately kicked cancer’s ass, but she could have probably avoided it all together with better diet.

Mama June is also about to start teaching others how to lose weight. It is her new gig. She says she wants to help others achieve what she has. If she can’t help her own child, is anyone going to take her seriously? Does the child still do pageants?

I need to learn to shut up, smile, and walk away sometimes. Canola oil came up today in an office I was at soooo… I mentioned how awful it is followed by a brief explanation as to why once the surprise registered that yes, I said the “super healthy” canola oil was really bad. I then mentioned that I cook with butter, lard, and bacon grease then added that I avoid sugar before heading out once the inevitable “I could never quit sugar” complaints got to be too much temptation for me to explain sugar.

These are people I like and care about so I don’t want to upset them but in an office of about 12 people 2 are T2D, 8 others overweight or obese. :disappointed:

(Dawn) #85

We are so trained, so educated and so well read that when we hear madness, we just can’t help but to say something. It’s tough trying to tell someone the best way to eat (especially when they are not ready to hear it). I love that you are trying to help you coworkers. But if it makes them uncomfortable, you probably should abandon the cause …for now.

I had a coworker who has been traveling for 2 1/2 months do a double take when she saw me. I’ve lost about 28 pounds since she last saw me. She immediately pulled me aside and wanted to know what I was doing. Even though she was open to listening to me, i still didn’t give her the full story because I didn’t want to discourage her. People seem to just freeze up when you tell them they need to drop the carbs. I just told her to focus on getting the sugar out of her life. It’s interesting that she interpreted that to mean only donuts, cookies, etc. i didn’t dare tell her to include pasta, rice, potato. We will have that conversation later…if she is still interested. =0) It seems like people stop listening as soon as you say something they don’t want to hear.

(Keto in Katy) #86

It is an odd phenomenon. I quit talking about diet / nutrition / keto altogether unless someone is genuinely interested and seeks out the conversation—which is very rare.

We had a family reunion recently at Thanksgiving, and my 47 year old brother-in-law mentioned he had just been diagnosed as a T2 diabetic. Said he was “cutting sugar” but went on to say he didn’t believe the diagnosis. He just would not accept it. We talked about keto for a bit but when I mentioned adding fat to the diet his wife started quietly shaking her head like, no way, that can’t be right.

So I shut up. Seek out health for yourself or remain sick. I don’t know how else to frame it.

(Sophie) #87

I’m the same. All I can think to ask is “Is your life insurance paid up?”. I know it’s a hard line but seriously, you can beat some people over the head and it does no good.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #88

You may get her in the end. I had no intention of going keto, but I felt so good after cutting out sweets that I soon eliminated the grains as well. Of course it helped that I already knew what keto was, and what to expect. You may well get your chance yet!

(Brian) #89

None is so blind as him (or her) who will not see. (famous quote, I can’t remember who said it)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #90

Funny old guy, I think the name begins with a J? :grin:

(VLC.MD) #91

Not that it’s your job or anything

If you want to convince someone like this person’s wife talk about insulin. Specifically the impact of insulin with the three major macro nutrients fat protein and carbs . Once you tell the person that insulin the fat storing hormone doesn’t go up at all with ingestion of fat, it should help them understand that fat makes you thin.

(Dawn) #92

YES!!! Insulin is always the way in. Especially when speaking to someone who already knows they have an insulin problem. Your words will really it home with them.

(Lena Cali) #93

Great response! I’ll follow your lead.

(Stephanie Tebbs) #94

I’ve been dealing with people that know what they should be doing but they refuse to because “life without sweets isn’t worth living”. Coworker is a Diabetic and he was asking me questions about low carb but he is a firm believer in “everything in moderation” and that means one dessert every day, not multiple. To him eating sweets is more important than his health and refuses to give it up. He likes listening to the science and openly asks me questions but will never give up his carbs. I don’t push him or give my opinion but just answer any question he has. It’s good practice for self control.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #95

Your friend sounds like me, back in my drinking days. Just substitute “alcohol” for “sweets.”

I learned in early sobriety that when someone is ready to hear the message, you can’t say the wrong thing. Unfortunately, before that point, nothing you can say is the right thing. Addicts!

When people ask how I lost the weight I reply, “I started smoking crack”. They’d rather hear that better than, I like butter on everything and I quit the sugar.

(Keto in Katy) #97

That view might change when he starts going blind and having toes cut off. I hope it never comes to that.

Easy to make those claims when you are not actually confronted with health issues directly threatening your life.

Maybe not. I knew a guy who had to sleep on oxygen, couldn’t walk up steps without getting winded but kept right on smoking. Knew a woman who lost her kids because getting high was more important. Had an uncle who was T2D and had body parts cut off… I guess I could go on but my point is that addiction is a powerful thing regardless of the substance. Especially if the addict doesn’t want to change.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #99

Too right, unfortunately. Many alcoholics have drunk themselves to death, even knowing how much better their lives would be if they were to give up alcohol. I was told in early sobriety that, although it sounds callous, sometimes we just have to step over the bodies and move on. The essence of addiction is powerlessness over the substance, and until the addict is willing to deal with that powerlessness, there can be no meaningful change.

(Sophie) #100

OMG! I’m stealing that!!! :laughing::rofl::laughing: