Got called a Keto Snob today

(Stephanie Tebbs) #1

I’ve been on keto for almost two months so I’m still quite the newbie but I’ve been researching like crazy. Listened to all of 2KD podcasts, read Keto Clarity, read The Keto Diet, listening to Keto Talk with Jimmy Moore and the Doc, current listening to The Obesity Code (my favorite book so far). All this research gets me excited and I do get a bit bubbly and spew out more information than is probably necessary when given the opportunity. However, I keep it in check. I hold back my lectures because I know people don’t want to hear it and I keep my fasting a secret and generally keep keto to myself. But when my friends ask what I’m reading or ask how putting butter in my coffee can possibly taste good or be healthy, I give a very excitable answer. I’m in no way an expert and don’t pretend to be one but I am definitely excited about everything I’ve learned.

A group of coworkers have started a weight loss program that is completely fueled by prepackaged meals, bars and shakes. Total processed junk food in my book but a few have seen great results. One of the girls saw my Ketogenic cookbook on my desk and said their diet was keto as well. That sparked my curiously so I asked to see one of the meals for the nutritional content. A friend butts in and says I’m such a keto snob and I think I know everything and turn my nose up at any other eating plans. A few others agreed. I tried to defend myself (was just curious) but the conversation didn’t end well. Never got to see the nutritional content of that meal either.

Oh well. Guess I’ll just keep calm and keto snob on.

(Crippie) #2

I relate SO much to this!

I think you are a little ahead of me in your research. But I been doing the same thing, listening to podcasts all day every day, reading books, and just researching everything, I just find it all fascinating. And it baffles me how wrong all my thoughts on diet were so 100% wrong before! I’ve only been keto 3 months now but love to research it and love to fill people in when they ask, but I too avoid giving unwanted lectures and trying to convert every carbaholic I encounter.

I’ve had similar encounters with friends/family members/coworkers whenever weight loss comes up and people talk about what they do and I talk about what I do and i try to spout out science. i can almost see the change on peoples face when they give up listening and start getting mad.

The funny thing is in almost all these scenarios where we are considered “keto snobs” its when someone is touting off information on the current diet they are on and how they love it, and we counter their points. We are called snobs because we wont try their way or try to just “put down” their diet by countering it with our own experience. and then most of the time they are off that diet just weeks later and we are skill ketoing on.

(Brian) #3

“Rudeness is a weak person’s imitation of strength.”

(As seen on a billboard outside of a local attorney’s office. Seems to be some truth in that.)

(Damon Chance) #4

When I hear co-workers discuss diet/nutrition (and politics) that’s my cue to put on my headset. Nothing good can come of it. I squared off with a vegetarian one day when he heard me talking about chicken wings for lunch. But that was the last time. I do answer questions and I have one solid convert and another that will be trying it soon. Both T2D’s tired of not getting better.

(EJ) #5

In my experience talking about keto to someone who is opposed or uninterested isn’t worth the effort. Most of us who live a ketogenic lifestyle have spent countless hours reading and listening to the science and studies behind our choice to go keto, and its not possible to condense this information down for someone who isn’t interested. In the last couple of weeks I’ve explained my diet to two nurse friends and in both conversations I had basically give up and just say, “I’m down 40 lbs and my blood sugar is much improved, and I haven’t exercised at all (foot injury)”. It sucks that you were seemingly ganged up on, but in 2 months when most of them are back where they started or worse, and you’re continuing to look and feel better, I bet at least one of them comes back to you and asks you where to start with keto.

I’d just focus on what you’re doing for yourself, and remember that you can’t (and shouldn’t try to) help those who don’t want to help themselves.

Keto on.

(VLC.MD) #6

Consider how someone eats THEIR religion.
Consider how someone diets as the religion that is going to save them.
You wouldn’t trash someone’s religion would you ?
So …

If you are Catholic, would you like a rabbi coming to your door saying… hey … you wanna try Judaism ?

With this analogy in mind, people are convertable ! But it’s better to send them to LCHF dietdoctor.com … and only if they ask.

Someone called me a low carb zealot.
"I replied, guilty as charged … But at least I’m a skinny zealot. "

(mike) #7

I too am obsessed with LCHF and more recently KETO. I have learned when others are trying a new diet to encourage them and wish them good success. I have been able to convert several people by just leading through example and having them ask questions. I tell people that whatever you can do to lower inflammation is the key. This is what will get you on the correct road.

I really think this is spot on.

(VLC.MD) #8

Good strategy.

Here is another “way to phrase it”

Part 1: I lowered my carbs to start fat burning and increased my fat intake to keep my metabolism up.

Part 2: And when I lost my appetite … I just ate less !

Q: is higher fat harder on my heart ? No … the opposite !

(Ernest) #9

This is exactly why I don’t get into nutrition, religion or political talk. It brings out the worst in Human Beings.

People ask what I have been doing to get these results. When I tell them, they start asking me for alternatives or loopholes. How about bread once a day? Half a potato…
Well that’s not what I do!!!

Now I send them to google ketogenic lifestyle and I walk away.

When it comes to my health, I’m a total ASSHOLE,

(Jacob Wagner) #10

Ya. I don’t use the word Keto when talking to coworkers. I just tell them that I no longer eat breads and sugars.

–Jacob

(Stephanie Tebbs) #11

I had The Keto Diet book and The Ketogenic Cookbook on my desk so people sorta figured it out.

I tell people I eat low carb. I don’t really like discussing it because I don’t want to get into a longwinded discussion about how keto works and yes that bit of cream I had with that strawberry was more than acceptable.
I do however have my keto buddy and enthusiast who I rave and talk to about all things keto. Shes as mad as I am with the science behind it all and how amazing it feels to adopt this lifestyle.

My husband called me a hipster the other day when I corrected him about how keto works. I just rolled my eyes and told him to google it lol.

That’s so cool you have a keto buddy!

I just have these forums, (and they do keep me going).

My husband is pretty low carb and tries to be more so. My nieces just started to get curious about keto the other day after I mentioned this was the human diet for 200,000 years. So at least they’re intrigued.

But to have an equally obsessed keto ally would be incredible!

(MooBoom) #14

Hey! Me too! :raised_hands:
I think it’s awesome that you don’t back away from those conversations. I’m so dang excited about all this that I’m actually returning to university to study nutrition and hope to follow it up with a major in dietetics so I can be part of the revolution- officially. It helps me put a lid on it when I know my life’s work is about to become keto- but sometimes the excitement can’t help but brim over.
Snob on!

Most people understand if you say you are cutting back on sugar. It’s sort of an indirect way to put it but people in general relate to too much sugar being bad.

(Allie) #16

I don’t get involved with workplace discussions on nutrition. If someone asks what I do then I will tell them, but unless someone is genuinely interested, their blinkers are always too big to let them see.

(VLC.MD) #17

Say you are cutting back on sugar.

And then tell them later that all carbs only enter your body as sugar. You don’t absorb whole wheat bread you absorb sugar that comes from the whole wheat bread.

(Carol E. ) #18

This reminds me of how I handle this. If someone asks what I do and respond with the ketogenic diet/nutritional ketosis.

Then I issue a challenge and say I will be happy to talk to them if they want to know more but their first I want them to make make a single small change in their diet: cut the number of times they snack per day in half. I ask them to think about how often they eat a bag or chips or grab a candy off desk when it is not mealtime and then cut that frequency in half. If they snack 6 times a day, then cut it down to 3. Make no other change than that one thing. Then come find me and we can talk some more.

After issuing that challenge, I would talk to anyone even if they still snacked, but by then I would know that they may willing to make some effort to make a change. If they are willing to make that effort and the effort to reach out and learn or at least tell me they tried and it was hard, I feel like our conversation may have some impact.

(Stephanie Tebbs) #19

That is so awesome. Good for you and good luck.

(Stephanie Tebbs) #20

I’m jealous that you have a keto buddy that’s so excitable. I’m lucky to have a few keto people in my life but they aren’t very interested in talking research or science. My husband does keto but he only follows my lead and the only research he’s done is watch Fathead with me. One of my close friends does keto but it’s not really a focus of her life. She doesn’t want to talk about it unless we are planning a meal together. I have a coworker in another branch that is very nerdy about it but we aren’t super close so our conversations are always short over the phone. I’d love to know people in person like the ones on this forum.