Got a meal that a person suffering fatigue could make?

(Annzie) #21

PS. I know with chronic fatigue you deal with brain fog just like Fibros so a suggestion… I started keeping a little binder of recipes that are easy for me and which one can be used for a day 1/day 2 meal. I ordered it by meat. Beef, chicken, fish, pork and I put the cookbook name and page number beside the recipe name because my fibro fog is BAD. I also track what meat we have eaten so we don’t burn out on the same recipe over and over. You might also want to track your meals to cue you in on what may trigger a flare up. I am learning that nightshades need to be eliminated, and unfortunately peppers too!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #22

@Annzie and @Kurisu You may benefit from aspects of the low lectin diet hybridized keto style.

(Sumishisu) #23

thanks for the suggestions! It’s always good hearing the different ways to just simply put out a meal

In response to your side note, I’m having trouble generating/ finding the recipes to make the book in the first place. Interesting hearing the food ideas you came up with to cope with it

(Sumishisu) #24

Did a little look up and yea, might be worth a try. I’m currently having enough problems sticking/ living on the standard keto diet itself at the moment, but maybe when I’m not so tired I’ll give it a try

(Kristen Ann) #25

Hi @Kurisu,

The last several weeks I haven’t had much energy due to an autoimmune flare up. I’ve resorted to cooking soups in my instapot or making fatty meats in my air fryer. Both are really simple. You just put things in them and they come out cooked! There’s lots of delicious keto soups on the web: broccoli cheddar, philly cheesesteak, mushroom, etc. And I usually cook pork shoulder or chicken wings/ things in my air fryer. Hope this helps.

(Katie) #26

Canned fatty salmon, sardines, herring in water are nutritiously dense and an easy option.
I have shared these microwave tricks with a few people. It saves so much time and is not labor-intensive. God bless your speedy recovery.

Here is what I do to cook meats (chicken, ground turkey/beef, steak): grab my serving, put in mug/bowl, add about 2 tbsp per handful of meat. Cover w/ napkin/paper towel. Nuke 2 min, then stir and check. Poultry & ground meats usually 2-3 min total. Steak 2 min or less (I prefer rarer than fully-cooked steak).

Crack some eggs into the mug/bowl, add 1-2 tbsp of water. Cook 1 minute and stir. Add 30 seconds until eggs are cooked to your liking. Add vegetables with the eggs in the beginning if you want.

I prefer to cook in a jumbo coffee mug because it is taller and less likely to bubble over. But if you spread out your meats in a bowl then it probably will not be a problem.

Cook vegetables/frozen vegetables like meat: add 1-2 tablespoons of water and cover. Drain the water at the end.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #27

Before I went keto and started to have energy, I would buy large packs of sausages and divide them up into portions for the freezer. Then when I got hungry, all I had to do was cook them in the microwave, and voilà! Even scrambled eggs are pretty easy, and so is bacon. Frozen broccoli can be boiled on the stove or cooked in a microwave and slathered with butter. Hot dogs and frozen ground beef patties can also be done in the microwave. When I had energy, I would cook chicken legs or thighs in the frying pan, but that was time-consuming as well as physically tiring. By the time I got motivated to get out of bed and cook, I wanted to eat now!

I’ll spare you the non-keto part of my diet back then, but suffice it to say most of my cooking was done in the micro, and I ate a lot of popcorn. Professor Bikman says that he eats popcorn with his kids and it doesn’t seem to raise his insulin, but he didn’t mention the quantity in the interview I watched.

Thank God for keto! These days I can spend four hours mowing the lawn and still get up the next day and function.

(Sumishisu) #28

Thanks for the suggestion!

Sorry, either i missed something, or there was a typo, but what did you add to the handful of meat?

thanks again :smile:

(Sumishisu) #29

Interesting… using pre-cooked sausages never accored to me as an easy keto meat option. I found having deli meats all the time was rather harsh on my gut and all, using frozen- pre-cooked meats might work better

Thanks for the suggestion!

(Sumishisu) #30

Thanks again for the reply a few days ago,

I’m looking to slow cook up a leg of lamb and then pair it with some frozen veggies and set them aside as ‘meals’. I just wanted to ask, what kind of ratios should i have with the amount of meat to the amount of veggies? Also, adding butter to get the calories up, what do you recommend? Aiming to consume three meals a day.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

Concentrate on the meat, keep the veggies as a complement. You want to limit the carbohydrate, so too many veggies is counterproductive. If you use fatty cuts of meat, that may be enough fat right there, but butter makes a tasty addition to any meal. The point of fat on a ketogenic diet is that it is a safe source of calories, because it raises your insulin level hardly at all, especially compared to carbohydrate. So you can safely replace the calories you are no longer getting from carbs with calories from fat, and you’ll need less, because, gram for gram fat has twice the calories of carbohydrate.

(Sumishisu) #32

Interesting view on it. I’m using an app called Cronometer to keep track of my net carbs so, all going well, I shouldn’t go beyond 20g. I did read that too many protein causes a different process instead of ketosis, so I assumed that you would need to expand the fat intake to make up for it. Have you found that most of the time over doing the protein isn’t a problem?

I’m currently doing a carnivore only diet, and this is pretty much what a day of cooking for me looks like:

• Butter in skillet
  • Slice a rump roast (because it’s the cheapest beef you can get)
  • Fry the roast slices on skillet for 2-5 mins per side depending on how well-done I want it
  • Add some salt/pepper/other seasonings before flipping

I do that, usually eat 1-3 lbs of meat in a sitting, and don’t need to think about eating for another 8-24 hours. Hardest part is cleanup - even with a splatter screen my stove and floor become pretty messy. But it’s honestly the easiest meal prep I’ve ever done. I often vary the particular cut of meat as sales come but the process is the same otherwise. I’m not saying you need to switch to carnivore but having a meal like this every once in a while is very filling, very tasty, and very easy. I know keto dieters worry about going too high on the protein so I suppose that is one concern. But others say that it’s very hard to break a keto diet by eating too much protein so I guess you have to make your own call on that one.

In NZ the meat is all grass-fed from what I hear which makes it even better.

(Sumishisu) #34

lol, all grass fed. It’s kinda stupid, but we export nearly all our meat. So while all our meat is grass fed (and that’s a eco-problem in itself), the meat in our supermarkets is not only foreign, but rarely grass fed.

Interesting your comments on the carnivore only diet, might give that a go if I can’t manage or want an easier route out.

Yeah the carnivore diet definitely feels like a diet is a one-way ticket. People who do it often choose to stick with it long-term if they make it past the first month or so. The intestinal flora kind of adapt to it as well and the ones that process plant food die off so I’d imagine it’d be a somewhat lengthy process to go from carnivore back to a more varied diet. I chose it because I felt like I was out of options but I want to go back to a more varied diet at some point in the future.

(Sumishisu) #36

o, is that so… Some resent studies have shown that chronic fatigue syndrome is caused by food leaking through inflamed parts of the small intestine. The fix is to provide a healthy gut environment to allow the body the best chance to heal itself. So I’ll probably lean away form the carnivore diet, though I am surprised that it actually works as a long term diet plan. I assumed you would have issues getting enough vitamins and minerals, much like actual carnivores that get those missing bits from intestinal guts of other animals.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #37

Not sure what your reasoning is here. The butyrate from meat consumption helps heal the gut, not to mention that staying away from polyunsaturated fatty acids keeps them from being incorporated into cell walls, where they don’t belong. Stick to saturated and monosaturated fats, such as are found in animal fat, and your leaky gut should heal.

ZC/carnivore works best, btw, when organ meats are part of the diet, because a lot of the nutrients, such as B12 and heme iron are found there. Also, the need for exogenous antioxidants is gone on a diet that eliminates carbohydrates, since the combination of low insulin and ketotic levels of β-hydroxybutyrate turns off the genes that prevent the body’s built-in defenses against oxidation from functioning.

(Katie) #38

Oops, 2 Tbsp of water!

Thank you for pointing that out.

Canned Salmon, Tuna, Mackeral …
Avocado
Feta or whatever cheese

Or instead of the canned fish, roast chicken from local … just avoid the mystery stuffing,

Keep keto’ing hopefully your energy will return. I wasn’t diagnosed as chronically fatigued on the S.A.D but I sure was tired a lot. Hopefully keto will resolve your energy too

(Robert C) #40

This statement nails it well. Let the meat determine all else if you can.