Got a little lecture from a concession stand girl

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #41

In the U.S. the cinemas make their profit on the “food” they sell—at exorbitant prices. So most places these days either forbid bringing in a bag or backpack, or else they do a thorough search and confiscate whatever food they find.

(Jeb Bower) #42

If anything, making it as a bowl should be both easier and cheaper for the movie theatre. It’s still a customer service position so she needs to get the customer what they want instead of arguing/lecturing. My first job was the exact same thing…working in a movie theatre…and if someone said they wanted 3 cups of butter on their popcorn, they got 3 cups of butter on their popcorn.

Years ago (doing Atkins at the time) I went to 5 Guys and told them I wanted my burger without the bun and the girl about flipped out, only the other direction. She was very concerned and asked if they needed to change their gloves before they made it in case it was an allergy thing.

Rude, yes, but maybe it is a good sign. Maybe she was annoyed because other ketoers have been asking for the same thing. No way to know, but just a thought. Maybe there are more of us out there then we realize.

(Diane) #44

I’m a regular theater attendee and haven’t had any issues so far. One theater has a sign about “over size bags”, but no one ever checks mine.

If they ever stop me, I’ll probably let them know that I’m on a special diet prescribed by my doctor (which is true). Most don’t have anything I can eat (maybe a bunless hotdog, not something I eat very often).

(Katie) #45

You are exactly right, it is not her business. She was probably stressed out, restaurants and concession stands are often high-paced and stressful.

Be confident in your knowledge that you know what is right for you. You would say ‘no’ to a person pushing illegal drugs probably? Carbohydrates, according to you, are bad for your body at this moment.

In life there are many situations where we disagree with people, and it is easier to just agree to disagree, walk away, and forget about it (politics comes to mind). This, to me, is a similar situation: understand that you disagree, walk away, forget about, keep calm and keto on :smiley:

Your taco idea sounds great. Too bad they had to waste the tortillas by giving them to you. Many ketonians find that fastfood and concession options are to remove the meat, cheese, and vegetables from sandwiches/hotdog buns/tacos/etc. at events. It will be a long time before there are easy finds of low-carbohydrate foods, outside of Los Angeles. Just equip yourself with your own snacks and/or learn how to order and modify for low-carbohydrate options.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #46

Five Guys is very good about this sort of thing. These days they routinely ask if it’s for allergies, and they take it in stride when I tell them no, keto.

(karen) #47

I carry a ziplok of about 1/3 cup of pine nuts in my teeny tiny purse. No one has ever thought to search it!

Easiest thing to do is to take the wrap on the plate and then remove the wrap yourself and eat what’s inside. I have done that with my favorite burrito; I specify the keto-friendly ingredients I want inside and then when I get it, I remove the wrap itself and eat the innards! I would never expect a movie theater to have healthy food, especially keto-friendly.

schmear

Or, perhaps a better word would have been smidge.

(Jane) #50

I ate at a Five Guys a couple of weeks ago and when I said “no bun” they asked “bowl or lettuce wrap?”
:+1:

I used to be very strictly gluten free because I genuinely do not feel well eating wheat and have medical reasons to avoid it. I was so proud of myself for not breaking it for over a year (I ate plenty of carbs but no gluten). I even went to a Mexican chain and asked to see the bag on the soft tacos. I was happy to see they were made from corn and would enjoy them every few weeks. One day I learn that the bag they showed me was for the hard tacos NOT the soft WHEAT ones I had been enjoying! You can trust no one

(Jan) #52

Depending on my mood and my snap judgement of the server’s level of professionalism, I will frequently add after ordering “I’m diabetic, so it’s kinda important.” Usually this results in a changed attitude about my low-carb modifications. However, a couple months ago a waitress rudely replied, “you don’t have to tell me that”, with a palpable but silent “because I don’t give a shit” attitude. We stayed and ate because we were hungry. But there was no tip, and I left a detailed comment on their website.

Smidge sounds like it would be small, schmear sounds larger… I want a definite schmear of cream cheese!

Perhaps the dysfunctional movie “stars” should be on less than $20 million a movie. Then we could all afford to go lol

(KetoQ) #55

And as a follow up, here’s a link to keto friendly foods on Amazon, that even advertise themselves as keto friendly. Might be a jumping off point to some new and interesting foods. Haven’t seen this in stores:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HQ6T36M/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?pd_rd_i=B01HQ6T36M&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=a54d13fc-b8a1-4ce8-b285-d77489a09cf6&pf_rd_r=E3C1GSXNZVCQYQ38B6YA&pd_rd_wg=gn4rt&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=jFeyP&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=1440e7e5-a34c-11e8-ba9c-732071884090&th=1

LMAO :rofl:

(Edith) #57

“You can trust no one.”

Unfortunately, there is quite a bit of truth to that. I do believe it is mostly due to ignorance. For example: a lot of people think mayonnaise has dairy since it is white and creamy. Eggs, too, for that matter, since eggs are frequently lumped together with dairy on the food pyramid.

I had to remind a very intelligent person one time that eggs are not dairy. Eggs come from chickens. LOL.

(Daniel) #58

I’ve said to someone at starbucks once “wow, it really shows how bad the economy is when a registered dietitian needs to work at starbucks.”

(Irene ) #59

“Im sorry,… do I know you”? Gets them every time! :rofl:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #60

I thank people for their advice and if they press, I tell them that I am fully in favor of a value carb, but sadly, their carb is not of high enough value for me.

I don’t eat at the movies anymore.