Got a little lecture from a concession stand girl

(Bev Anne Moynham) #21

I have found that at fast food places it is easier just to order the food as is and then throw away the bun. Higher end places are usually willing to accommodate your needs but the kids who work at the burger chains often don’t understand what you want and give you a “deer in the headlights” stare so it’s just easier to throw away the carbs myself. As for the pushy people, I play the diabetes card – most people (even though they may be on the road to diabetes themselves) don’t know anything about it so using the word diabetes or any other medical vocabulary will usually shut them up. I am no longer diabetic but have no qualms about using it as an excuse.

(Troy) #22

Ask me tomorrow, I may have a different reply to this scenario
Being in the right Now moment, here you go!!

Interesting you say that . I will just order the wrap then
Then remove the wrap in the theatre
KEEP the carbage
On ur way out
SEEK that employee
“ hi , can you throw this away please, I did not want it, like I said . trash was full inside “
Leave on counter
Then walk away

All in hindsight now🤣

Again , this all depends on my KETO mood

I understand where you are coming from . . .

Recently I told a “friend” I gave up sugar, and she told scolded me, “that isn’t good for you. Your body needs at least a “schmere” of sugar everyday to be healthy–my nutritionist told me that!” My “friend” has type 2 diabetes.

I walked away. Just didn’t feel like getting into a fight. But, I learned a new word, “schmere”. Did I spell it right?

So true. I think in the begining I did not like going places where I would not have food. Now I simply skip whatever meal I am not having because there is nothing I should be eating available. I generally eat or cook at home. So much easier than dealing with the nonsense. Probably the only time I would eat out in a fast food place is when driving my children to college. One goes 6 hours away. In that case we stop at the golden arches or similar unless we can find a restaurant. I simply throw the bun away so as not to sound like Sally in “When Harry Met Sally” Plus waitstaff is handling my food in the back, not where I can see it, I do not want any extras so I am always polite even though by nature I am not a particularly polite person

I do love this even though I would never say it to someone handling my food.

I agree that someone working concession has no business telling you what you should or not be eating. However, I am less troubled by a stranger than a friend or relative. A stranger is someone who I will see once. Within reason I can say what I want or ignore their comments, they do not matter since this person is irrelevant to me. A relative who sabatoges my diet or tries to give me permission to go off the reservation is way worse, this is someone whose opinion I care about. I think at some point it is necessary to set them straight

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #25

I don’t think she should lose her job, but some additional training may be warranted.

Bring a packet of nuts next time, much easier!
In the defence of the concession stand lady- who was I agree totally wrong- my son works at a subway & they do get some very awkward customers in, who chop & change their minds about what they want, as the queue grows rapidly behind them, or asking for all the nutritional info on every ingredient rather than look it up themselves…fast food places are not known for healthy choices, so why do people go in there if they’re looking for nice, wholesome, healthy food?! it in no way excuses her questioning your choice, but sometimes if staff come across as impatient maybe they’ve had a very bad day…

(Nathan Toben) #27

Thinking someone should be fired for this…not exactly the keep calm mentality that makes this WOE a more level-headed community than others.

Sure, be a little pissed off for a while, darn right. People can be awful, I see it every day. But we have no idea how that person’s day was going or what their challenges are regarding their relationship with food.

WHat I do know is that they are underpaid, under appreciated, dealing with particular customers all day long and just as you see it as no big deal to have something put in a bowl, they saw it as no big deal to suggest to treat yourself to some carbs on that one day. This does not make their behavior super duper awesome sauce, but if that is a fireable situation, then people would be getting fired left and right.

KCKO.

I guess I am pretty amazed at the thought that a concession stand would have anything even remotely suitable for me to eat. Don’t think I woulod touch their food even if it looked like 100% meat - because I know it would be toxified with something. Maybe salted nuts would work?

As for her comments about carbs… just don’t tell them about your reasons. Why waste your breath? ~They aren’t interested. You are just another customer holding up the queue with explanations they don’t want.

Give them a simple yes/no question:
‘Can you do this without the bread/taco/wrap?’
And when they answer, either buy it, or thank them and walk away.

It is a lot less stress and angst to just assume that you need to be self sufficient in this, and plan accordingly.
When I go to the cinema nowadays, part of the fun is preparing my mini feast to take with me.
Last time it was a small bulletproof coffeesubstitute, chorizo and halloumi rollups and Montezuma 70% chocolate buttons.
I looked round at the noisy Frankenfood carbage that everyone else was stuffing, and enjoyed the experience even more, secure in my sanctimonious glow. haha!

(Ethan) #29

You don’t seem to get it. It’s not about KCKO. I am thinking as the business owner should. You have razor-thin margins and can’t take the time to train attributes. It’s that simple. Underpaid employees or not, that line of business cannot afford train attitudes.

(Ethan) #30

The time training is likely to fail. Attributes are exceedingly hard to train. You don’t waste time with them. Time is money. You are much better off letting this employee go and hiring another. The job takes very little skill, but a lot of patience and a good attitude. You don’t hire based on ability, but instead on attitude. Whenever I interview, I break down the candidate’s qualifications into attributes and transferrable skills. The attributes are what make it possible or impossible. The transferrable skills are what you look at after attributes. Where skills are lacking, training can be provided; mentoring can be useful. Where attributes are lacking or negative, there is statistically little that can be done–don’t waste your time. I then write down the gaps for the candidate. Gaps are the requirements for job that the candidates transferrable skills and attributes do not fill. If the gaps are attribute based, I usually pass on the candidate. If the gaps are skills based, I can proceed happily, especially if attitude and adaptability are two of the positive attributes the candidate has. I then pick the candidate passes the attribute test and has the best transferrable skills with fewest gaps. For an entry-level position, there are virtually NO TRANSFERRABLE SKILLS in the candidates resume. Thus, you have to go completely on attributes.

(Nathan Toben) #31

actually in a way, it’s the only attitude they can afford.

(Ethan) #32

There is an argument to be made for this, but it’s not a guarantee. I think there are plenty of kids who don’t have attitude issues and are looking for summer jobs. It may be more difficult in the regular season.

(KetoQ) #33

Design Phase –

In New York, you can go to a deli and order a toasted bagel and a “schmear” which means a Jewish mother portion of cream cheese, nice and thick.

But I don’t want to think about that right now. I’m in hour 35 of a 60 hour fast.

Cheers,
Q

(Nathan Toben) #34

yeah i am 33 and work with 18-26 year-olds and i don’t know whether it’s early onset senility on my part but it DOES seem like hard workers are hard to find and privileged minds are…not.

but i just focus on my part and let go of the rest with abandon. i’m so tired all the time anyways it is getting easier to do so over time.

(Casey Crisler) #35

Look on the positive side. At least she is aware of people eating low carb. It’s in her mind and maybe at some point she’ll even try it. That’s how advertising works. Get it in the subconscious and you own them!

You gotta get some attitude with people like that.

Family, friends, co workers, or concession stand workers.

“Give me what I asked for, and STFU.” Its very easy to stop people being a holes with your needs and emotions. Just adopt their attitude, and throw it right back at them.

(KetoQ) #37

I think what this post can teach us all is to be more strategic about how we make food choices in this new lifestyle, especially when we are away from the friendly confines of our own kitchens.

If you’re eating out and not sure what will be available, I eat a small keto meal before hand, in the event I have fewer choices and have to eat less.

Or, if you go to the movies, a ball game or a concert – or happen to be on the road a lot – develop a snacking strategy. Have some things on hand like nuts or a Slim Jim. See the following video for some other ideas:

(bulkbiker) #38

I just say “no thanks I’m an alcoholic in recovery”… shuts em up right away…

(Edith) #39

Many concession stands are not really set up for special orders, and if things are busy, it’s even harder to take special requests. I think it’s wise to choose your special request battles.

On another note: if you tell the person you have an allergy, they are usually very accommodating. I have a dairy allergy and food servers have been very courteous about checking ingredient labels or even bringing me the bootle or package so I can check the ingredient list myself. I would say that a person with insulin resistance could legitimately say they have an allergy to sugar and/or carbs.

(Debra Moore) #40

I guess I should clarify the situation, my bad!

It wasn’t really a concession stand, per se. In our city, we have what’s called “Rooftop Cinema.” It’s a movie shown on the roof of a fancy hotel. The girl who sassed me wasn’t at all busy. It also has more upscale food than a multi-plex movie theater would. Think Ahi Tuna nachos, carne asada nachos and tacos, wrap sandwiches, things like that. They also have hot dogs, but they really have a more upscale menu.

In this case, it was only me and my sister in line, so it wouldn’t have been a big deal to put that stuff into a bowl. They didn’t have bowls, though. I was going to get it on a plate, and just throw away the wrap and not make a thing of it. I just didn’t like her commentary.

Hope that clears things up a bit!!!