Goodbye 210000 Spare Calories

(Robert Higby) #1

I’m new here. I actually created an account and decided to post a thread so that I could track my progress. I’m really looking for any support people can offer. I’m jumping in feet first. I know I his will be hard. So is the gym, but I’m doing it. I had bariatric surgery 4 years ago and expirenced two months of not eating and it was remarkably easy. I expect it will not go as well, but I’m trying. I have my water and multivitamin supply. I feel strong. I will try and check in daily.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

Good luck. Don’t forget your electrolytes!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #3

Calling @Juice for your newbie checklist.

(Running from stupidity) #4

Your wish, m’lady.

Keto is this easy (Keto for beloved noobs)

This is for Phase One - the starter phase. It’s still not complicated later, but this is the really easy to explain version which will help you no end.

• Eat under 20g of carbs a day

• Don’t worry about the scale

• Eat plenty of good food - fat and protein - while adhering to 20g/carbs/day. Don’t worry too much about macros and calories EXCEPT carbs. Keep them below 20g/day. (Prioritize the protein - always start with protein in every meal, but don’t panic about it.) Your job is to get fat-adapted, so give your body the fuel you want it to use. Also, your appetite will vary - it’ll disappear, then it’ll come roaring back. Happens to most people, don’t sweat it.

• ELECTROLYTES/SALT - KEEP THEM UP

• Buy the meat you can afford - don’t stress about grass-fed, organic (con), etc… The worst meat is better than the best bread.

• Fasting is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. Works for lots, not for others. Don’t let tools tell you to use it before you’re fat-adapted and it makes sense.

• This site has a search function (magnifying glass at the top of the page) and a newbies section - use them both, you’ll get a better variety of answers to your questions far more quickly that way. SERIOUSLY, THIS IS VERY USEFUL.[1]

That’s as difficult as it needs to be for a couple of months.

My good friend Terence (being friends with a Kiwi feels kinda dirty, but there you have it, keto makes for strange bedfellows) tells me this thing I have described above is called “dirty keto.” So yeah, do dirty keto, kids! :slight_smile:

Lots of Love, THE JUICE

Expanded version is HERE

[1]If you can’t find a useful answer after searching and reading for a while, we can help you a lot more if you tell us relevant data about yourself such as your reasons for doing keto, your weight/height/age/gender, a sample menu plan & any relevant health conditions.

(Carl Keller) #5

Welcome Robert.

If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to air them out.

(Robert Higby) #6

Thanks for the pointer on electrolytes. My wife pointed that out as well. I’ll keep that in mind. What about absorbing fat soluble vitamins? Would fish oil be a good idea?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

Couldn’t hurt! Make it real fish oil, though, not those pill things.

And welcome to the forums! :handshake:

(Robert Higby) #8

Juice - Thanks for the welcome and easy set of instructions. A little about me:
35 / 300lbs currently. I peaked just after highschool at around 550lbs. I say around as I didn’t have a scale that would weigh me. I do know I was over 525. I had access to a commercial laundry scale once. It was quite a shock. In Aug 2014 I had an extended bari-bypass and dropped to 240lbs. Since then I went back up to 316. I managed to get back to 300 over the last 6 weeks. I started looking into fasting recently and figured I would give it a try. After my surgery I fasted the first 45 days and never had much of an issue. I didn’t get hungry until I started eating again. So, long winded, but that is what led me here tonight. I want a change.

(Amy Ramadan) #9

Sounds like you are off to a good start!! Welcome to the group, I think you will like it here!! Everyone is very supportive, non-judgemental, and very knowledgeable in all things Keto and beyond… You mentioned that you know this will be hard, and I recognize that it may not be a walk in the park at first, but being overweight and unhealthy is hard as well… So pick your hard… Best of luck and I look forward to reading more about how you are doing on this journey to a healthier, happier life!! :slight_smile:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #10

Well most of us anyway! :cowboy_hat_face:

@rhigby my best wishes as well on your embarking on a new lifestyle that will change your life. :sunglasses:

(Robert Higby) #11

Question: is anyone aware of a post bariatric surgery patient who goes on keto? I’m worried about triggering dumping syndrome. Fat was a bit of a trigger for me after my surgery. Less so 4 years out. That’s why I am starting with a fast. Thoughts?

(Lori) #12

Hello Robert! I am a 15 year Roux N-Y gastric post op. I started living the Keto Lifestyle at the end of May 2018. To answer your question, the increase in fat intake has not been a trigger for me (I stick to fatty meats and cheeses I don’t make fat bombs because I could see how that could turn into a trigger). I have tolerated it all very well. I have lost 40 lbs of my 60 lb regain. What led me to Keto in the first place was how close it is to what we are supposed to do as post ops (low carb, high protein) If you have any questions PLEASE let me know. Happy to be here and help! Lori

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

When you have been a forum member long enough to get into the Health forum (it is locked to prevent outside searches), there is a WLS section that you might find very helpful. There are several people in this community who will be able to help you.

(Cam) #14

Good luck! :+1: