Good Tasting Low Carb Soda

Well on my non fasting days I’d like to drink One Soda.

Problem is that the Carbs are too High.

The only sweetener that I trust is Stevia. So I bought some Zevia Soda. The problem with Zevia is that it tastes like Carbonated Water + Stevia. Just don’t like the taste. Then I got creative. what if I added a soda with too many calories to it. How would it taste.

First Mix was 1 Can of Stevia with 1/4 Cup 2oz of Coca Cola life soda. It was very good and only provides 4 Carbs of sugar. Problem is that it contains caffeine and is very expensive.

So I went to Amazon and started researching Sodas.
Bought the Zevia with no caffeine and a sampler pack of IZZE Sparkling Juice, 4 Flavor Variety Pack.
It worked like a charm. 1/4 Cup 2oz of Izzie to 1 can of zevia and taste good. And only 5 Carbs. Add 4 oz of Iziie and it tastes tremendous. Actually I tried two flavors and the Apple was great with only 2oz added. The Clementine Orange was adequate with 2oz and really good with 4oz

I’m not suggesting that anyone drink Soda but if you are craving it this is a nice low carb solution.

I’m going to also investigate what happens if I add juice or flavorings to the Zevia. Zevia is so bland that unless I infuse it, I might as well not be drinking it.

(Troy) #2

You can also experiment w adding sweet leaf liquid stevia drops😃
Lots of flavors…a little goes a long way
Once you try a flavor you can use it on KETO desserts or other tasty recipes

(Cristian Lopez) #3

I just drink drink regular diet Dr Pepper and diet sodas with aspa…

(Melissa Marie) #4

I hated Zevia when I started keto. In fact I hated any/all diet drinks. Not having sugar changed how I sensed the sweetness. Now Zevia actually tastes fine and I don’t like sugary sodas. I ordered a coke with dinner a few nights ago on a cheat meal and couldn’t drink it. I swapped for a sprite instead which was almost as unpleasant but bearable. I won’t order a regular soda again and will just drink diet from now on when ordering out after that experience. Blue Sky Zero sugar soda is actually what I drank before Zevia and it has erythritol as its main sweetener. It isn’t cheap but definitely tasted better than Zevia before I could tolerate it. It is worth looking at if you want something that doesn’t have aspartame, carbs/sugar etc. I have also bought seltzer water and used Stur to make my own soda. If you can find water drops that you like that is definitely a cheaper solution.

(Em) #5

I’ve really been enjoying flavored sparkling water like bubly (grapefruit flavor is so good). Arizona (from the teas) also has these and the strawberry is yummy. Kroger has these too and their cucumber-melon is sooo good. They aren’t sweetened but are really great to me. My boyfriend (non keto-er) who has a bit of a sweet tooth really likes them.

Those sweeteners caused a huge weight loss stall for me for about 9 months. I gave them up and started dropping pounds. They also make you release insulin, which will keep you from losing weight and screw up all your hunger hormones. I wish I’d learned that and given them up a year earlier.

(E.O.) #7

From time to time, as needed, I’ve been enjoying electrolyte solution in a zevia. It sort of tastes like champagne the way I make it (ACV, electrolytes, lemon or lime juice, and zevia gingerale)

(MW) #8

That sounds delish! I’ve become addicted to ACV, lemon juice, Himalayan salt, Stevia and plain carbonated soda (nixing the Stevia during IF). But now I’ll definitely try out the Zevia ginger ale addition. “Champagne”, yum!

(Kaiden) #9

Odd, I found Dr. Zevia to be preferable to Dr. Pepper. In fact, Dr. Zevia is the only doctor I trust, because Dr. Zevia believes in absolute transparency.

That’s my Dad Joke for today. You’re welcome.

I have to totally agree with this – I’ve found that artificial sweeteners increase my general hunger, and particularly my sweet tooth. I’m thinking this is due to insulin? I’ve realized it’s an itch best left unscratched.

(Dan Dan) #11

Not a fan of the taste of Dr. Pepper but love many of the other flavors :heart_eyes:

Diet Rite brand ‘Pure Zero’, including white grape, kiwi-strawberry, red raspberry, black cherry, golden peach and tangerine.

(Kaiden) #12

Kroger has a new store brand, “Fizz & Co. Seltzers,” that has cola, Dr. Whatever, and root beer, that is unsweetened. Just fizzy water and natural flavors. And it’s a quarter of the cost Zevia.

It took me about four cans to get used to it.

(R L) #13

I enjoy diet root beer or diet orange pop with heavy whipping cream. Tastes like a float but is a good fat source too.

Sounds pretty good. Or rather, not horrible.

I’ve been drinking club soda which, unfortunately, tastes just like club soda.

(Ruthanne Robertson) #15

I found one called Live at Sprouts. Sweetened with monkfruit extract. Not as sweet tasting as diet sodas. I liked it.

(Consensus is Politics) #16

Pepsi and milk sound familiar?

(Consensus is Politics) #17

I had to try it. I tried some HWC in some diet Mt Dew.
Unacceptable. I’m glad I tried mixing it is small amounts first. The cream curdled up into a thick foam on top. It didn’t taste at all like I remembered Root beer with milk.

What ratios did you use? I tried 75/25 soda/cream.

(R L) #18

I used a 12 oz can and 1/4-1/2 cup of hwc.
I always think of Laverne when I have it.:smile:
I almost tried mountain dew, now I’m glad I didn’t.
None of mine have ever curdled… Maybe the mnt dew caused it???

(Consensus is Politics) #19

I love it when an obscure reference doesn’t go unnoticed :cowboy_hat_face:

I might have to try diet root beer or orange soda.

(R L) #20

Expect the foam on top, just like a float. I just stir it back in. The only lumps I’ve found was pure hwc.