Going Carnivore While Breastfeeding?

(872b0e964fca87c0a238) #1

Anyone go carnivore from SAD while breastfeeding? Is it okay to do? Anyone done this?

7 weeks postpartum.

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #2

There are isolated reports of a 40g carbs/day ketogenic diet resulting in lactation ketoacidosis. I don’t see any other reason it would be unsafe, but I’d probably say carnivore is a bad idea.

Disclaimer: I’m not an obstetrician.

(Elizabeth ) #3

Also Charlene Andersen has two kids, both pregnancies and breastfeeding carnivore.

Probably not a good idea, tons of stress on the body making the fuel switch and carnivore is pretty lacking in a lot of necessary nutrients unless you do it right… which most people don’t seem to. I’m all for coming off of SAD, but timing doesn’t seem right. No reason not to lower the carbs to a non-crazy level and make sure you’re only using respectable ones. Eating SAD doesn’t mean you have to eat like crap, just gotta be more selective.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

The only risk of ketoacidosis that I know of during lactation is associated with fasting. Any ketogenic diet should be fine, including carnivore. The human race ate mostly carnivore over its two million years of evolution, after all. The human body is perfectly capable of manufacturing enough glucose for its needs, there is no requirement for dietary glucose in the form of carbohydrate.

If you are nursing you are still eating for two, so just don’t stint on calories (fat) and protein.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

I think you’re wrong about this, articles please? @PaulL is correct. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #7

the article I was seeing was later retracted I think but it did mention someone who only slightly restricted calories in the context of inducing a ketogenic diet and went to the ER with signs of acidosis and a high ketone level.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

It would be interesting to know just how high the ketone level actually was. Mainstream medicine often has concerns that aren’t so relevant in a ketogenic milieu.