Goat/Sheep cheeses

(Stan) #1

So, I started Keto (again) a couple of weeks ago and do want to be quite strict in the beginning. I have, however, been using some feta. I just read that cheeses in that category are not really right for a strict regime. Does anyone know why? I keep careful track of carbs, fat and proteins, so I wonder what the issue is.

And of course if you disagree with it being a problem let me know.
Thanis

(Jane) #2

I disagree and as long as you track the carbs in feta I don’t see a problem. What was the rationale in what you read about feta?

(Eric) #3

I agree with Janie,

While the ratio of carb/fat/protein may not be considered as optimal as cheddar, for example, there is no reason why you couldn’t have feta. Also goat and sheep milk are supposedly more digestible than cows milk so there is that as well. Some people do try and avoid dairy when doing Keto, but that is more of a preference than a requirement.

That’s BS, feta is fine. But because I’m a feta freak I feel the need to mention since you brought up Goat/Sheep cheeses, if you’re in the US, double check the label, because cheap brands Feta will use cows milk, it doesn’t taste right when you’re used to real Feta, but a lot of the cheap ones do it! My wife bought a store brand one a couple weeks ago and I noticed right away something was weird about it, looked and that’s what it was! Back to my Greek one for $2 more!

It’s up to everyone which extra restrictions they put to themselves… Keto only restricts carbs, that’s it.

I am thinking about all the high-carb stuff I regularly had as a newbie ketoer :smiley: In moderation, of course… I did have my personal blacklist, my woe change was mostly about health, not just very low-carb, after all… But most dairy is fine for me. I am cautious with milk (especially that I try to stay very close to carnivore and milk is very sugary) but that works too in moderation, I am not so sensitive…

People eat fruits on keto too, vegs, they have sugar too…
Lactose IS problematic for some people but many of us needn’t to avoid it…

(Jane) #6

When I lost my source of raw goats milk I had to make feta from raw cow’s milk with a feta culture.

Nope. Not as good. I may have found a new source at a local Amish grocery. :crossed_fingers:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

It’s probably the amount of lactose and galactose. Hard aged cheeses are a lot lower in the milk sugars. But if you can keep your carbs under 20 g/day eating feta, there’s no concern that would prevent you from doing so.

(Stan) #8

I’m in Europe as an expat. I get ecological, full on goat or sheep cheeses. They feel better all through my system than cow cheeses, which I like in my mouth, but after than can make me feel a bit sticky down to the cellular level. But thanks for the heads up, even here that is an issue.

(Bob M) #10

Goat and sheep milk have A2 proteins, whereas with cow’s milk, you don’t know what protein they have unless it’s listed. I have been using goat and sheep milk cheeses (and yogurts/kefir) for this reason, though honestly my genetics appears to be such that I can eat any dairy with no issues I can find.