Glycine, Can it Cause Anxiety or Can Keto?

A friend has been taking glycine every morning since I suggested it for her knee pain. Maybe 6 months, a teaspoon or less. She ran out about 2 weeks ago. She feels suddenly calmer (she is also on vacation so that may account for it). She has been lazy keto for almost a year. She has a minor tendency to OCD but otherwise is pretty rational. She said that when she first went on keto, after about the first month she was much calmer and was in the middle of some stress at work that bothered her less than it usually did. This lasted for 6 months but more recently she is finding herself stressing and obsessing about utter nonsense. For example she forgot to respond to a friend’s wedding and was all bent out of shape until the friend emailed her back that it was fine. The wedding is weeks away, it is not like she missed it and they are not very close. However, she has noticed that about a week or so after she stopped the glycine she was starting to become calmer, which may be the vacation. Still not as calm as she was a month into keto but calmer Thoughts?

Anxiety and Keto and Serotonin
(Jane ) #2

I have no answer but you did make me pause. I too have been taking glycine and have had anxiety for no reason…interesting to see what people chine in on…

Exactly what she described, she says she has been feeling anxious for months and now it is mostly gone

(Jane ) #4

Update. Ditched the Glycine and anxiety was gone in about 2 days.

Thank you for the update. My friend has a lot of stress going on so is stressed but less than on glycine

(Miss E) #6

Curious whether she was taking it on an empty stomach?

I find a full dose of almost amy amino acid (and some vitamins like zinc, vitamin d and b) can make me hyper anxious if taken on an empty stomach. If I want to take them on an empty stomach I generally take a half dose or with a fatty coffee.

She put it in her first coffee of the day with HWC as a sweetner