Glucose curve question

I’m testing my glucose response to splenda, these are may measurements:

T(-60) at wake up = 115

T(0) = 111 Had bulletproof coffee with splenda

T(30) = 120

T(60) = 92

T(100) = 97

My question is, with the error bars on any over the counter glucose meter, does this constitute a spike in glucose? And if so, is this a meaningful spike?

(Ethan) #2

Are you insulin resistant or diabetic? If so, the morning is probably not the best time to do a test.

I am neither, just fat :slight_smile:

(Ethan) #4

Then I would say there is a chance there is a glucose response, but a better one that there is an insulin response. The 120 number over the 111 number isn’t too significant, but could be a small response. The drop to 92 suggests either the ending of dawn phenomenon or an insulin response from the splenda.

However, if your blood glucose is 115 fasting in the morning, it sounds possibly prediabetic/insulin resistant.

yeah I was a little surprised with that too. Last night I was 83, and rose to 115 over night…

(Ethan) #6

It doesn’t in itself mean much. What are you usually in the mornings?

I got my glucose meter yesterday, so this is the first morning I’ve used it.

I’m thinking I need to test my glucose throughout a morning while skipping breakfast to see what happens and get a baseline morning reaction. Does that sound like a good next step?

(Ethan) #8

You need to figure out what your normal baselines are, yes. Did you have fasting tests done by your doctor before?

yeah I have one done every 6 months from my job, they have to do medical monitoring of employees who have my job title. They have always said my test results looked good. I didn’t request to see any of the numbers so I don’t have any actual data.

(Ethan) #10

You should be able to ask them for the data. If you see numbers above 100, I’d go with insulin resistant. I know mine was 103 in 2006. The doctor told me to be careful. I didn’t listen. By 2013, I was consistently above 250.

hmm, ok I’ll check what my baseline glucose tomorrow. To negate the dawn effect, do you know about how long I should wait after wake up to test?

(Ethan) #12

I can only tell you my way of testing. Eating keto and NOT in an extended fast, my numbers often look like this:

5:00 am: 90
6:00 am: 95
8:30 am: 125
11:00 am: 90
I will often test things starting around this time. I find that my glucose numbers will stay in the 90ish range until 5:00 pm, when they often drop to 80s

ok cool, thanks much. I will use your time intervals and see what I get. Definitely not your times, 5am is a time of a day I try very hard to never see!

Thanks for the help!

(Ethan) #14

I try (and fail most days) to wake up at 4:45 am. My wife is up at 4:00 am, and my son gets dropped off at school 7:00 to 7:30. I have to be up to get him ready. I’ve found that the dawn phenomenon for me really begins around 8:00 am. By lunch time, its over. I can usually feel the stress building in my body as the glucose goes up.

(Mel Soule) #15

@Joshua1 you might find this short article explaining the dawn effect of interest and how to see where it might be coming from https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/diabetes-resources/definitions/dawn-phenomenon/

The counter-regulatory hormone release they mention is normal in everyone cortisol in particular plays in this game and there is a CAR or Cortisol Awakening Response https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol_awakening_response

Enjoy your meter. I use mine all the time as a fuel guage similar to this description from @Marty_Kendall excellent blog https://optimisingnutrition.com/2016/02/15/how-to-use-your-glucose-meter-as-a-fuel-gauge/

So a few questions for you @circesdad, with regards to using the meter as a fuel gauge:

How do you find your average? I spent the morning in fasting taking a measurement every hour from wake up and this is what I got:

T(0) = 106

T(60) = 87

T(120) = 100

T(180) = 119 (yeah this jump from 87 to 100, then to 119 was with no food intake)

T(240) = 91

T(300) = 87 (15 minutes after BPC with no sweeteners and 1 TBS of heavy cream)

So taking an average of these values seems unhelpful sense they jump around so much. I would love to use my meter as a fuel gauge b/c I know my stomach and brain are assholes and tell me to eat when I shouldn’t, so I’d love to have a way to know when I actually need food and when I need to just keep telling myself I don’t actually need food yet.

AND T (360) = 79… about 45 min after the BPC. I’m not sure what to make of these measurements besides @richard’s “cat on hot tin roof” is right!

(Mel Soule) #18

When I first read Marty’s Kendall’s blog post I interpreted that the average was over 7 days taken at the same time of day. Since I do IF every day and open my eating window at 2pm I took 7 readings at 2pm each day and averaged them. If I was hungry and todays reading was above that number I held off eating until a really felt hungry. If the number was below the average I ate. Did that for 2-3 weeks and recalculated by 7 day average. When I started 7 day average was 94 (March,2017) right now my 7 day average is 74. So I use it as a moving average and keep updating as my body and metabolism is changing. HbA1c from 2 weeks ago is 4.8 down from 6.8 when I started. Somethings working.

Great thanks much, I’ll start doing that as well.