Giving 2017 a Sweet-Free Start

(Cathy Schroder) #41

Good idea - I’ll have try that tip. I also feel that I need to eat something sweet after a meal sometimes

(jketoscribe) #42

So how was your first day? I found it challenging because our house is still full of junk food from holiday celebrations, visiting family, and our final Hanukkah party this evening. I realize that if I want to nibble something I tend to reach for a square of dark chocolate or take “just a taste” of carbage others are eating.

My SIL brought us a box of Godiva chocolates so after the party my kids and hubby wanted to have one. Ordinarily I might have one and call it an"indulgence" but I refrained. I really did want chocolate though so I had a chunk of 100% bakers chocolate. It has that mouth feel and smell but it’s exceedingly bitter. It satisfied my craving strangely. Now I’ll go brush my teeth to remind myself I’m done eating for the day.

Sweet free day one in the can.

(Guardian of the bacon) #43

I’ve developed a taste for bakers chocolate as I’ve retrained my sweet tooth. I find it really good with a smear of almond butter. No sweeteners involved so it should be ok for your sweet free Jan?

(Henna Selnes) #44

I am doing the ZC challenge also, but will gladly go sweetener free! If it becomes a challenge, count me in. If not I am doing this already just so I can see the results of the ZC on its own.

(Jacquie) #45

Wondering how everyone is doing with our AS challenge. I think we may have some ZC challenge folks join us here and that’s cool :grinning:. I started a few days early and so far so good. I’ll find myself reading a recipe, turns out it’s keto treat and move on quickly. Don’t need any triggers right now.

(jketoscribe) #46

Yes, unsweetened chocolate plus Almond butter sounds great! I find that a little salt cuts the bitterness, too.

(jketoscribe) #47

It’s a challenge. I don’t know what’s required to make it an “official” challenge, but that’s certainly what I consider it to be.

(jketoscribe) #48

Struggling today with that desire for “just a little something sweet” after lunch.

Not hungry, but I’d gotten back into that awful habit of ending a meal with a little sweet (usually dark chocolate).

Hard to break!

(peghat7) #49

I’m in! I did a little unscientific experiment on myself in Dec. I’m a T2 diabetic. When I eat any artificial sweetner, even stevia, my blood sugar spikes. I started sweet free on Dec 31.

(Jacquie) #50

@peghat7 I know some people who spike from stevia, too. I think one needs to test each AS, if you want to know for sure. I’m pre-diabetic, tested liquid stevia (Sweet Drops) and Swerve as they were the only two I would use now and then. I was okay re BG testing but…I’d like to get back to sweet free.

(jketoscribe) #51

That’s important information! Always eat to your meter.

How much did it spike?

(Lalena Hutton) #52

Day two and doing great. Already I have noticed my cravings are fading.

(jketoscribe) #53

How are the sweet free people doing? Getting easier for me!

(nadine1073) #54

I find it more of a mental challenge at the moment. Like mourning the sweet treats… no more using food as a emotional tool or reward. Especially sweet. Doing the ZC challenge also. Day 6 for both. Getting easier… I talk myself off the sweet ledge often during the day but I know it will get better :slightly_smiling_face:

(Jacquie) #55

Glad to hear it. Doing well here, too. The hardest time for me is after dinner. I’ll have a few raspberries with some unsweetened whipped cream now and then and that works nicely. :slight_smile:

(jketoscribe) #56

Totally blew it yesterday but didn’t even realize it until just now! Where’s the “slap yourself upside the head” emoji when you need it??? After a late breakfast we headed to the mall for a girls day out. My girls wanted lunch but I was still too full from breakfast so I drank a diet soda while they ate. OOPS! Didn’t even think about the huge wallop of sweetener until this morning. Diet sodas are a very rare indulgence for me.

Fortunately it didn’t trigger cravings or hunger. I didn’t eat anything else until 7 pm and had a good LCHF dinner and a handful of nuts.

I gained 10 pounds Nov through December without going that far off the rails. This was very frustrating because I’ve maintained a 75 lb weight loss within a 3 lb range for five YEARS. I never gained so much so fast!

The scale seems to be trending down but I’m praying hard because once I reach a set point like my current high weight I tend to bounce three pounds either direction forever. I am almost below that point, so think good thoughts for me. I’m still experiencing back pain which is the result of tell tale inflammation from too many dietary indulgences. It’s taking me a good long time to flush it out. I think I’ll pop in our sauna tonight. (Husband used compensation from a work related injury to buy an infrared sauna, and it’s a godsend for both of us!)

(Jacquie) #57

Hopefully, the 10lb. weight gain is mostly water weight from carbs over the holidays and you’ll drop it over time (sooner rather than later). I think our body’s reaction to foods, etc. change over time and what once worked doesn’t anymore. I’ve noticed that as I age.
Good thoughts to you! The sauna is sure to help. :slight_smile:

(Justin Blow) #58

I fell off by choice after the first week and thinking about the decision.
I rarley make sweet fat bombs or any kind of treats as it is, so I assumed it would be a breeze eliminating swerve completly. And the thing I love about Keto is it a WOE, I don’t miss anything and it does not feel like a challenge or a “diet” where I miss having certain foods. While I am still going to use less swerve and xylitol from here on out (ie: eliminated from my coffee), I truly like simply knowing it’s there as an option if I ever do want it.

The best of luck to everyone doing the challenge and going strong! You are all some keto champions!

(jketoscribe) #59

. While I am still going to use less swerve and xylitol from here on out (ie: eliminated from my coffee), I truly like simply knowing it’s there as an option if I ever do want it.

I don’t think I’m going to be sweet free forever, and it’s nice to know that xylitol and erythritol will still be there when I’m ready. But I really NEED to be sweet free right now.

I gained 10 pounds from November through December. Gaining that much weight is a first for me after keeping 75 lbs off for almost 6 years, and I was pretty upset–feeling some despair because it didn’t seem to budge. It wasn’t water weight, because water weight usually goes away in a few days of clean eating. My clothes were tight. :disappointed_relieved: I was terrified that I could not reverse this trend and I’d be over 200 again soon. That would totally undermine me and I’m afraid I’d give up again at that point.

So being sweet-free (except for my one slip) these 10 days has brought my weight down 4 lbs already. I’m feeling a bit more hopeful. And missing the sweets less and less. Yesterday I REALLY wanted chocolate, so I ate a whole section of Trader Joe’s 100% baker’s chocolate–bitter as gall. But it pushed my chocolate buttons without triggering the sweet cravings. I’m eating lots of fat, not caring about calories or macros but trying to keep the carbs very low. I have no intention to add sweet back anytime soon.

(jketoscribe) #60

I’ve been REALLY craving hot chocolate! The weather is cold and dreary and everyone else is drinking some.

I make it with erythritol or sometimes melt very dark chocolate into coconut milk, but that’s out on the Sweet-Free Challenge.

So here’s what I made today–I won’t say it was as satisfying as “real” hot chocolate, but it was pretty darn good. I would say it’s more of a “drinking chocolate” but not sickeningly sweet like the drinking chocolate they once sold at Starbucks. Note that you must be up for the bitterness, as there’s no sweetener at all in this:

1 Tbsp SALTED butter (I find the salt helps cut the bitterness)
1 Tbsp cocoa powder (I used Penzey’s “Natural High Fat Cocoa”)
Hot Water (about 2 fl. oz in a small tea cup)
Cinnamon to taste

Instructions:

Melt the butter in a small cup. Stir in the cocoa powder and cinnamon until you have a smooth paste.
Add hot water and stir to mix well.
Sprinkle on additional cinnamon.
If you’re really brave (I’m not) add a sprinkle of chili or pepper to give it a “Mexican chocolate” flair.