Ghrelin as a migraine treatment

(Ashley) #1

I found this article today at work and thought I’d share. They are using ghrelin to treat migraine symptoms in rats. I know rat studies don’t always transfer well, but I thought it interesting. My original reason for starting Keto was to help with chronic migraine. I also do IF almost daily. Increased ghrelin levels with fasting could be a great natural treatment.

Ghrelin and Chronic Migraine.pdf (1.4 MB)

Hey I know it’s been a while since your post, but I’m newish here and looking for any answers to reduce my migraines. Did you get anywhere with your research about ghrelin? Did you try it out? And if so how would you go about it? Fasting? I have been keto for a month and a half but still have an occasional migraine, possibly hormone related. I read about salicylic acid intolerance and have been thinking of going zc /Carnivore for a while. But will try anything really

(Ashley) #3

Hi! Sorry for the slow response. I’ve been supper busy lately. I haven’t seen any additional articles about how ghrelin affects migraine. I do think that higher ketone levels seem to help and one way to increase ketone levels is through fasting. I haven’t tried zc/Carnivore so no experience there, but I’m sure it would help with higher ketone levels. I have also found that my birth control was making my migraines worse. I understand being willing to try anything, that’s how I ended up on here :).