Getting Started and Hello!

science

(Howard ) #1

Hi… This is a quick introduction…I am 53 years old and have been T2 Diabetic for 10 years or do. Some good news–Before Keto: When I was diagnosed, my HBA1C was 6.8. I have managed to bring it down to as low as 6.0. It is now floats between 6.0 and 6.3. I also have managed to bring my weight down 30lbs over the 10 year period, by following everything from Atkins to Vegan-ish (my most recent foray). I have also been on Metformin for the past 8 years or so, 500 mg 1 to 2 times per day.

Now the less-good-news: Even though my doctors says I am in very good control, I have developed vague symptoms of nephropathy in my feet. He said it was ‘inevitable’ and not directly correlated to blood sugar control? I have also have
had problems in the ‘romance performance department,’ which led to a Peripheral Arterial Disease test–Ankle Brachial, and there is some evidence of the disease. My doctor’s response was to put me on statins, and and again to shrug his shoulders, along the lines of a silent ‘what do you expect?’

Finally, the weight loss on a vegan plan had been slow to non existent. In hindsight, I think I overdid it on the starchier beans and veggies.

Which now brings me to Keto. I have been inspired by a neice and colleague. I started 2 weeks ago, and I feel great. I have learned alot via 2 Keto Dudes.
Granted, I have not gotten the carbs as low as I need, but I am heading in the right direction.
Any feedback on Keto reducing PAD,ED , or Neuropathy is welcome. Thanks!

(Christine) #2

It’s upsetting that a doctor told you this

(Liz ) #3

Welcome! I hope you love Keto as I think it’s going to benefit you tremendously. Your post made me think of the 2 Keto Dudes podcast # 27 Mad as Hell

Where if I remember correctly they talk about what doctors get wrong about T2D. Seriously it’s CRIMINAL imo.

FWIW my mom is 83, no diabetes diagnosed but obviously insulin resistant w/ neuropathy in her feet. Went Keto and within one month feeling started to return.

(Howard ) #4

Thank you for the information!

(Rob) #5

This is unfortunately bullshit, though the way he is treating you it is true. You do not have very good control for you, only for him! Doctors are very poorly informed about diabetic management and have an arse about face approach.

They see it as a disease of glucose control when that is the symptom. It is a disease of insulin control (since this is what is doing the long term damage) but when you focus on glucose you never fix the cause, only manage the symptom. You manage glucose with more drugs, then insulin, always building higher and higher insulin resistance and ruining your organs in the process. It also leads them to focus on slow decline rather than reversal since to them, if they get overzealous with the glucose control you could go into a diabetic coma which would get them sued quick sharp. When you manage the insulin (by massively restricting carb inputs) then you get safe and total glucose control and reversal of all the symptoms.

They want you at an A1C of about 6 since it means you won’t die too quickly nor will you go hypo and go into a coma so they are happy. Unfortunately, at any level above 5.4, you are killing more pancreatic beta cells than you can make so the pancreas will eventually fail and make you insulin dependent.

Via keto, you can get A1C below 5.4 easily, save your pancreas, and most importantly, massively reduce the amount of insulin floating around your body which is frying every organ and system you have (CVS, CNS, Brain, Renal, Hepatic, etc.).

You WILL reverse your neuropathy with keto. I have as have many others with far more advanced levels (just pre-amputation). Your doctor is killing you (though that is the standard of care, so it’s not his/her fault, per se) and you need to take control of your health, FAST!

(Omar) #6

Welcome

I also have T2D for at least 7 years and needle like sensation in my feet because diabetes affects nerves.

After Keto no more metaformin. BG under remains under 120. And needle sensation way much lower but still there.

My tinnitus is much more bearable after Keto which is also a byproduct of T2D in some people.

My IBS is almost gone. My bowel movement is better than any time in my life. I am not eating any vigitable fibers.

I have been mislead all my life by the medical myths. Such as fiber good for your colon.

Wish you good luck

(Miss E) #7

Do you mind me asking how low you are getting the carbs? Good on you for advocating for yourself and not giving up.

(Howard ) #8

Thank you for the very frank assessment. You put my thoughts into words! I look forward to reading more of your informative posts!

(Howard ) #9

Thank you for the reply. How long have you been keto-ing, and how much weight have you lost?

(Howard ) #10

Eva, when I started tracking net carbs, I was at 100mg. I have gradually tightened up my control, and am down to 20-25. My macro tracker says I should be at 19. I will be there soon! How long have you been Keto-ing, and what successes have you found?
Howard

(Omar) #11

I started beggining of February 2018 , I lost 8 kilos very quick. Many people say it is water loss. Whatever it is, It is reflected clearly on my clothes. I feel lighter when stand up, walk, or run.
No more foggy brain, very focused and can bear more work for longer ours and remain focused, never thought diet can make such improvment.

Weight loss now is very slow if any, but I do not fast, and very little exercise mainly walking 2 to 4 km a day.

Weight loss is not my goal, but life quality specially eliminating t2d medication completly.

I faced difficulties in the beginning, mainly severe constipation and heart palptation. But constipation has gone now . not sure why gone. Maybe it was transitional to start with and maybe it will come back, but for the time being only heart palptation 15% of the time

My primary care doctor prescribed an LCHF diet for me and told me to read the book “The Obesity Code” by Dr. Jason Fung. She also said to watch his podcasts on YouTube. He works with T2 diabetics and believes the disease can be reversed even in those patients who are on dialysis. It was a very informative read and may be helpful to you with the symptoms you are experiencing in your feet.
Good luck!

(Rob) #13

Maybe even more relevant to the OP (though no doubt with massive overlap)…