Getting more fat into vegetables

Hi everyone.

I’m a few days into week 3. I’ve lost 2kg+, but I’m pretty sure at least half of that is glycogen and water weight. Anyway, I am concerned that:

1. I may not be getting enough fat, and too much protein.
  2. I may not be getting enough vegetables.

I’m keen to understand how people get enough fat without eating mostly meat at every meal. Last night I had a plate that was 80% salad with very heavy french dressing, with the rest a pork roast, but when I looked at the plate, I maybe squirted 30ml of dressing on it, 50% of it was oil (other half vinegar), but about half of it would have been left on the plate when the salad was finished. So we’re talking about 7g of fat if we’re generous.

How do you get enough fat when you want more vegetables on your plate (never thought I’d say that). Butter mostly goes with starchy vegetables like potatoes, so that’s out - maybe melt some over beans or sprouts? Mayonnaise? (Wife says most contain a fair bit of sugar).

Just looking for some ideas. Thanks in advance.

Try melted butter over veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, brussels or other cooked ones. A pinch of salt and a teaspoon of turmeric makes it even tastier.

(Renee Slaughter) #3

I use butter or olive oil when I cook and on my salad and veggies. when I have let’s say broccoli I may cook it in Olive oil and serve it with a tbls of butter. When I have a salad I go for the richer dressings like blue cheese 2 tbls is like 14 grams of fat. If you prefer try olive oil and your favorite vinegar. 2 tbls is good for 10 grams I think. Be plentiful with your butter. Hope this helps

(Heather Miller) #4

Yes! Definitely add butter on your vegetables. Lick your plate if you must to eat all of the delicious salad dressing. Mayo…home made is great!

(Mike W.) #5

Cook in butter/olive oil/bacon fat. Cover in a hollandaise, bernaise, creamy horseradish sauce, Alfredo, or cheese sauce.

Another option is to add fat from whole food sources. The most popular source is probably cheese, but I’m limiting dairy, so I use avocados, nuts, seeds, olives, and coconut.

(Stan Brooks) #7

That or Velveeta. I found an store brand that reports zero carbs.

Thanks guys.

I might have a look at some cheese based sauce recipies. You’ve given me some ideas.

And, nowadays, I shamelessly drink/slurp whatever liquid is left on my plate - knowing full well it’s good for me…!

(Sarah ) #10

Favorite breakfast- cook two slices bacon… throw in a large handful of greens (baby spinach, kale, chard, etc…) Sautee for a moment or two till wilted, push to the side, cook two eggs in remaining grease. Season to taste, add cheese if desired.

Favorite dinner- I like one skillet meals. Any sort of stir fry or sautee veggie and meat. The combos are endless. And you can always add more olive oil, more butter, more cheese sauce, more sour cream, on and on.

(Candy Lind) #11

I would double check that. Velveeta has 3 grams carb per ounce. I would think that a store brand might have even more.

(Stan Brooks) #12

That’s why I said reports. Not having the resources to check for sure I have to go by what the label says. Even if it is just like the Kraft stuff I keep my carbs low enough that I can pretty much eat as much as I want.

We don’t have Velveeta in Australia, but it looks very similar to Kraft Singles, which I think is the same cheese, wrapped individually and just a few mm shy of the standard (hah) size of a slice of bread.

Will have to look into it.

As an aside though, I do hate waste and products which are excessively packaged (which single wrapped slices of cheese are).

(Stan Brooks) #14

It’s slightly different the whole point of the stuff is it is supposed to melt in a velvety manor. And it does pretty much.

(Dan Dan) #15

This is SAD (standard American diet) dieting Keto is the opposite 80% Fat and 5% carbs :thinking:

The salad was mostly leafy greens as a carrier for oil and vinegar, so there would have been virtually no carbs in it.

Trust me, if the standard American ate like this, they wouldn’t have a problem with obesity!

(Dan Dan) #17

If you want to know what to eat there are thousands of examples here :heart_eyes:

(KCKO, KCFO) #18

Chop up bacon or get the bags of bacon bits at Costco, if your really lazy :).

Toss your vegetables of choice (broccoli,brussel sprouts or asparagus?) with some olive oil or avocado oil would work well too, then spread them out on a lined baking pan, parchment or aluminium both work. Now sprinkle the bacon over all of them. Bake til done, how long will depend on your altitude, your oven and how crispy you like those veggies. Salt and pepper them when you take them from the oven. Enjoy, your welcome.

(Candy Lind) #19

That’s cool, but newbies might not be aware of “carb creep” or where they can get better macro info, which is one of the ways new Ketonians get into difficulties. I guess what I’m saying is, that’s yet another food one would have to eat on an n=1 basis. I personally couldn’t “afford” the carb cost.