Getting mad at these detractors

(Nicolas) #1

Hey,

So, a lot of members of my family are worried or worse saying something bad will happen to me if I keep doing the keto diet because of cholesterol, I dont have the necessary knowledge to contradict these but Im 100% sure it exists, is there any study or over simplified video that after studies made, keto diet is safe to pursue because cholesterol or high LDL is not a problem because (reasons).

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #2

Here is a recent discussion with references to studies.

A snippet:

Conclusions Available evidence from randomized controlled trials shows that replacement of saturated fat in the diet with linoleic acid effectively lowers serum cholesterol but does not support the hypothesis that this translates to a lower risk of death from coronary heart disease or all causes.

Just do a search for " cholesterol " at the top of the page and you will see a lot of good info…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Dr Nadir Ali and Paul Mason are the best at explaining this in my opinion…

(Polly) #6

Also Dr Malcolm Kendrick:

(Polly) #7

(Bunny) #8

After you look at all these ideas by the so called ‘experts’ on how cholesterol or dietary fat is “good ” or is “bad,” it can be, if you eat a lot of sugar or have high blood glucose?

Why pay attention to how healthy your veins and arteries are when you can waste your time talking about what damages them?

You can talk about the lesions, hematoma, swelling and broken skin if somebody throws rocks at you all day long! “Oh, what interesting bruises you have, it was probably this type of rock that did it?” and pay little attention to body armor (adequate vitamin C intake) to protect you from the flying rocks or maybe kindly ask the rock thrower to stop throwing rocks or reduce the rock supply of the rock thrower?

You didn’t ask for this but - you could give out copies of Nina Teicholz’s Big Fat Surprise (excellent book and very enjoyable to read!) and say that you’ll pick up the discussion again after they’ve read it.

Dietary cholesterol being bad has been disproven a million time for many years at this point. Rather than make a ton of work for yourself tell them to do their own research. You’re going to run into this crap all the time. If you search the forum you’ll find the answers you’re looking for 100x.

(Leroy) #11

Good video right there. YouTube title is “A world renowned cardiologist THE DIETARY GUIDELINES ARE A LIE! Salim Yusuf full speech 2017”

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)32252-3/fulltext

The full report is behind a paywall, but you can see some important statements.

High carbohydrate intake was associated with higher risk of total mortality, whereas total fat and individual types of fat were related to lower total mortality. Total fat and types of fat were not associated with cardiovascular disease, myocardial infarction, or cardiovascular disease mortality, whereas saturated fat had an inverse association with stroke. Global dietary guidelines should be reconsidered in light of these findings.

Carbohydrates = higher mortality.
Fat and different types of fat = lower mortality.
More saturated fat = less strokes.