Getting enough fat?

(Gary Landau) #1

Not sure how we determine the fat/protien ratio. Here is a typical day for me.

first meal : Four eggs,two burgers 75% to 25% (protien to fat) with salt only.

last meal : NY strip,rib eye both together about 1.75 lbs and 4 more eggs salt for taste.

Water only.

Curious if you guys think if there is enough fat ? If not what to add ?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

The advice I’ve seen is to eat all the fat that comes with the meat, and add more if necessary to satisfy hunger.

The question of proportions is tricky. You need to know whether they are talking about percentages of calories or proportions by weight. For example equal amounts of fat and protein by weight are 69% fat and 31% protein in terms of calories. Three times the protein by weight would result in 57% of calories as protein and 43% as fat. My impression is that three times the protein by weight would definitely not be enough fat to provide the necessary amount of energy, unless one were to greatly overeat the protein. The usual recommendation is to eat to satisfy hunger. Given the fairly large variation in daily nitrogen loss from person to person, that might entail proportionally less or more protein versus fat.

Also, I have seen people assume that 100 g of protein means 100 g of meat, whereas most red meats are only about 25% protein by weight, so getting 100 g of protein would entail eating 400 g of meat.

(Alec) #3

Gary
That sounds like a brilliant food regime… well done!

I would say don’t worry about fat/protein ratios. Just don’t skimp on fat anywhere ie don’t trim off any fat that comes with the meat… don’t choose any low fat meat eg chicken breast… choose higher fat mince/ground beef. if in doubt add some extra fat eg a knob of butter.

Most important, don’t go hungry. If you are hungry at the end of a meal, eat some more until you are not. If you stop being hungry halfway through your meal, just stop eating.

Best of luck!

Choose the one that works best. Or don’t choose just eat whatever if your body guide well enough. The ratio doesn’t matter as long as you eat right for your own individual body. We have very different needs.

Some people find that they need a specific fat/protein ratio, therapeutic keto has that too but in general, not that is what matters. Get enough nutrients, eat the way that you are satiated all day and feel okay if that is possible and don’t care about the actual ratio. Unless you need to focus on it in order to get what is good for you…

I won’t say what to do when choosing your food items as I don’t know you. I can’t even say it to myself as I need more experiments and I need a different approach in different times.
Even if you need high fat, it’s quite fine to eat lean meat if you love that, lots of people do that, you just need to add enough fat to your diet somehow :slight_smile: If it’s impossible for you, yep, it’s better to choose fattier protein sources. For me it’s the easiest, simplest, most convenient to eat meat with a fat/protein ratio that is good for my whole day… As I normally can’t eat pure fat and avoid added fat since long (not completely but as much as I can). But I like lean pork too so I eat it, I just add some really fatty meat as well but that requires more focus or plans - or I just accept that I will overeat protein, not like I wouldn’t do that with fatty meat as well but it’s still easier with lean as long as I enjoy it (I prefer fatty meat but some lean meat is quite amazing too). But if you aren’t prone to overeating, it’s easier. Unless if you are prone to undereating, some people undereat with leaner meat and don’t feel the need to add fat even though they need more energy from food.

I went from eating more protein to more fat. It just happened naturally. Suddenly fat was really what I wanted, the fat off pork chops, pork shoulder joints, gammon, bacon, pork belly and so on. And cream and cheese. My body definitely fancies protein much less than fat, and is happiest when I get my hands on some pork crackling. It’s whatever works for each individual. It certainly is working well for me.

(Gary Landau) #6

I appreciate everyones feedback. I’m probably getting enough fat,I’m just not going to the Bathroom(#2) as much so I got a little concerned. I just heard Dr Chaffee say that when you’re eating mostly meat that there is little waste.

I might add beef tallow if I find it at the supermarket.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

Don’t worry. The concept of “regularity” (moving one’s bowel every day, and pretty much at the same time of day) was invented by laxative makers to convince people to buy their product. I can remember when it wasn’t a thing.

(Robin) #8

Less crap in, less crap out.
True.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

Nicely put! :+1:

Oh is that a thing too? Wait, I think maybe I heard about it before… It just made no sense to me so I kinda forgot… My time is all over the place though most often after my meal :slight_smile: And I never skipped a day yet. I am curious if it would happen on longer term carnivore (if I ever will be able to do it. but I think I will). Probably not. And that is just as fine as going somewhat rarely. As long as everything works well.

Less waste may or may not result in a smaller frequency in humans, apparently. Not all body collects a whole log first…