Getting back on track with fasting after falling for Halloween candy

I’ve done so well these last couple months that I finally fell to temptation in eating halloween candy and junk food this past weekend. To my surprise I gained only 2lbs. Today I plan to get back track with fasting and only drinking a collagen protein drink I got last week. It leaves me full and energetic. so far I’ve been impressed with it. It’s called Preferred Elements Keytones collagen. I’m out of ketosis right now and that stuff easily pushes me back into it. I’m waiting for my blood sugar to drop back down below 100 before taking it as it temporary raises it.

Wish me luck!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Ketosis is a metabolic state where some fat being utlized is converted into ketones. Consuming exogenous ketones does not put you into ketosis, just dumps ketones into your blood stream. I’m not saying that’s necessarily good/bad or indifferent. If you’re still glycolytic then my guess is that most of those ketones just end up excreted in urine. While cells/organs have plenty of glucose, they won’t bother metabolizing ketones for fuel. Also, the regulatory functions of ketones are likely suppressed. It would be interesting to use keto ‘pee’ stix for a couple of days to determine whether or not that occurs.

That said, there appears to be some evidence that feeding exogenous ketones can have a positive effect on brain function and is being used in older patients who can’t/won’t change their diets. I don’t have a ref for that, though.

You should be OK in a few days

Good luck but we are humans, ketosis comes very easily even if we eat… :wink:
Fast if it feels best. If I overeat, it’s very very nice… But I still rarely skip a day.

Just curious on background here.

how long on keto, just a few months, but were you on again, off again thru the years at all? ever changed to an eating plan before?

It is normal for carb monster cravings to kick in ‘as we change and WANT this change’, yet we cave. Reason we cave most commonly is we are ‘so new to plan’ (yea 2 months is very new) and we just want the old foods back OR WE ARE NOT eating enough on plan to make us have a fighting nutrition barrier to those craving wants.

so just wondering on background…it is a hard walk but you will be ok if you want this bad enough and ‘walk the walk’ like all of us who have been there :slight_smile:

(Stephanie ) #5

Ive been keto for almost 3 yrs, this past weekend i also had a carb craze… back on the wagon and fasting today :blush:
Good luck, you will do great!

(Susan) #6

Best luck getting back on track! I found personally for me that I had to be very strict with myself to get rid of all the cravings for carbs and sugars (including not having anything with any artificial sweeteners). Once my body was rid of all that; it was wayyy easier not to be tempted --the cravings went away. It was hard for a few weeks; but then it was a lot easier =). Good luck to you!

This week has been rough but somehow I’ve managed to stay the same weight for the last two weeks. Although I fell off the wagon I’m already back on and refocused. I need to keep doing what works and get back my energy. I’ve been sluggish but I’ve also had a cold after camping this weekend in cooler weather.