Get-Together

(Marianne) #1

Had two friends over for lunch yesterday that I hadn’t seen in a long while. I made appetizers (gouda cheese, crackers and pepperoni - which I ate except for the crackers). I also made lunch and dessert. My NSV is that I didn’t deviate from keto whatsoever over two days of cooking and then lunch. I made brownies, home made applesauce with sugar and red hots, and salad with a delicious sweet mayo/vinegar dressing (I’ve had it before). Successful cooking is a lot about tasting, but I didn’t do any tasting this time and figured if I followed the recipe, it was “good enough.” I didn’t eat anything that wasn’t clean keto. In fact, I was afraid to taste or eat anything I “shouldn’t” because being that I am only in a month, I am still so afraid of releasing that demon addiction that I just won’t chance it. The beauty is I didn’t crave anything, I wasn’t hungry, and I didn’t feel deprived after watching my guests eat. I ate quiche (eggs, cheese, spinach, heavy cream) without the crust, and salad with bleu cheese dressing. I drank water while they drank wine and pop. I didn’t have dessert and it was fine. Today I am feeling so grateful, however, it really wasn’t a huge stretch. The incredible part to me is that it really was not difficult at all. No other eating plan would have had me feeling this way. In the past, I probably would have binged after they left (closet eater).

(Carl Keller) #2

Isn’t it wonderful to be in complete control of yourself in the presence of things we used to be addicted to. :smiley:

Congrats Marianne. :slight_smile:

(Marianne) #3

Yes, it is wonderful - it’s a deliverance. Thanks, Carl.

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

No more hangry, one of my fav things about keto. Well done.

(MooBoom) #5

Ummmm- this is HUGE!!! I’m massively stoked for you!!! Love so many parts from your post, but I think my favourite bit is that it wasn’t even a big stretch for you to do all these awesome things.

Killed it :fist_left:

(PSackmann) #6

Excellent pre-planning on your part, which also allowed you to relax and enjoy the company without worrying about the food. Win-win!

('Jackie P') #7

Well done you, isn’t it lovely to feel in control?
I have 9 colleagues coming to dinner tonight. It is a fairly regular occurance, 3-4 times a year!
I have always loved to cook and its nice to do non keto meals sometimes, even if I don’t indulge!
Tonight I have made butternut squash soup, meatballs on pasta in tomato sauce, with a keto cheese sauce. The meatballs are strategically placed so I can get at em without the pasta! Green salad, tomato salad, good dressings. Garlic bread (not for me thanks!). Tiramasu, and/or some mixed red berries with cream!
I reckon, with a glass of sparkling and a red (or 2), I should come in under 50 carbs, which is ok for the odd occasion!

(Marianne) #8

Thank you! :grin:

(Marianne) #9

It’s amazing to me that we can still cook, handle food and entertain but not indulge in what we don’t want to. Before, there wasn’t much choice. One taste of anything and I would be off and running. That is a great menu you had!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #10

It’s so nice just to NOT be bothered by cravings and here’s a dirty little secret, I just like watching other people eating sugar and I can imagine what it tastes like but before I know it they’re done and that’s it. It reminds me that it only takes a couple of minutes to wolf down a pastry but then you have to live with it for a while. Great job!

(Marianne) #11

Amen! I think of pizza occasionally, one of my all time favorites, but now it is just an impartial thought with no emotion behind it anymore. I don’t have any actual compunction to eat it. There is no deprivation or obsession over what I “can’t” have.

('Jackie P') #12

I had a wonderful evening full of laughter and friendship. Dont think I overindulged
at all, well maybe on the wine! Feel slightly flakey this am, just going to clear up!

(Janet Grills) #13

Congrats on staying keto while cooking and entertaining non-keto friends. I used to do that too!

I am 3 years into keto/lchf and 6 months IF (thanks to Megan & Dr. Fung!) I am 69 years old and down 67 pounds with 40 more to go.

We entertain a lot of friends in our home and I made a decision 2 years ago that if it is good enough for my husband and Me to avoid sugar & grains etc - then I love my family & friends too much to cook or serve carbage to them!!

I have developed a bunch of delicious recipes (starting with Kristie’s & Carrie’s), and I now only serve bountiful, delicious meals and desserts and EVERYONE has been amazed that they ate NO sugar! I do it quietly - no big announcement - just great food!
2 close friends have caught the vision and are off their Insulin after taking it for many years!

Please do not compromise your health standards - your friends will actually appreciate and benefit from your new way of life.
Blessings!