Gestational Diabetes - advice and experiences please

Help please.

My daughter is 33 weeks pregnant with her first baby and has just found out she has gestational diabetes. We’ve just had a long and initially tearful conversation but she is calmer now.
She isn’t overweight, and her baby has the right growth for gestational age: I’d advised her to watch her weight and she has. She’s Caucasian/Indian mix and so has the increased risks in pregnancy associated with her Indian heritage.

This is the advice I have given her:

• no grains
  • reduce fruit intake to berries
  • no sugar, but she doesn’t anyway
  • go low carb, not necessarily keto, but to use her instincts
  • make sure her partner is on board
  • look at Diet Doctor for information about general eating, menus, low carb vegetables
  • look to this forum for support and information

She is very supportive of my keto investigations and eating and so this isn’t new.

But it would be very useful if she knew of an obstetrician who is keto friendly in or near London, or anywhere in the UK.

Thank you.

(Sybella) #2

you could also check the harcombe diet club and check the forum there as its UK based.

(Short224) #3

I had gestational Diabetes as well they sent me to a dietitian who put me on a very strict diet with a set carb amount for each meal and snack . I would think they would send her to that as well they do have the diet online I was told ketosis wasn’t good when pregnant but who knows half these doctors aren’t on board with it anyway. Hope you find what your looking for and good luck to your daughter!

(bulkbiker) #4

get her to join up at www.diabetes.co.uk forum she should find many in a similar position.

(Sybella) #5

www.theharcombediet.com

Thank you all. x

(Sybella) #7

There is a live Q&A session on the Hardcombe Diet site tonight…(you will have to sign up).
Thursday 26th July 2018 18.00 through 20.00 BST
Might be useful.

You gave very good advice to your daughter! I had gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy. I was admitted to the hospital and they went over how to eat, basically low carb with 3 meals and 3 snacks. I was put on insulin shots and did pile on weight during my pregnancy. I was able to lose it all after though.

I was also told that I would most likely get it with each pregnancy. I followed the same “gestational diabetes diet” when I got pregnant with our second child and it worked, I didn’t develop gestational diabetes. So there’s hope for that.

I know it’s scary and stressful, but she can do this!
I wish the best of luck to your daughter!

Thank you everyone. x

(Duncan Kerridge) #10

I listened to this a while ago, lots of good info and she has books on the subject

https://robbwolf.com/2018/03/06/episode-384-lily-nichols-rdn-real-food-for-pregnancy/

My daughter says thank you to everyone - and particularly to Blue1.

x

There are two good Tim Noakes books which have a bunch of recipies.

Actually, you can get the green, orange and red food lists from their website realmeal revolution for free. I have an A3 copy printed onto my fridge for reference.

Just to let you all know, this baby has four-fifths of his/her head in her/his mum’s pelvis.
She’s booked for a home delivery and her midwife thinks it will be at the weekend.
Hey ho. I got on the wrong train, and have done an hour’s detour!!
But I’ve planned a keto celebration supper with bargains bought at a reduced price at a Waitrose I wouldn’t have passed: home made beef burger stuffed with a slice of Stilton and a cream and pan juice sauce.