Geez, I felt so bad for the guy

(Stickin' with mammoth) #1

My version of keto activism is to explain it to anyone who asks. Occasionally, I see an opening in the conversation that I hope represents an open mind but, boy, was I wrong today.

See, I shopped at a grocery store I haven’t been to since last summer before I was keto. I knew all the cashiers there (I know everybody everywhere) and one of them sidled up to me at the self-check station, looked down into my bag with a twinkle in his eye and teased, “No crackers?”

“What?”

“Don’t you usually get Cheezits?”

I smiled broadly. “I’m keto now.”

“What?”

“I’m keto now, I’ve lost 20 pounds since last October.”

His eyes got wide and he lowered his voice. “That’ll ruin your kidneys.”

You could hear my eyes rolling from across the store. “No, it won’t. Who told you that? You’ve got some reading to do.”

“Oh, yes, it will. I’m a Type 1 diabetic and it ruins your kidneys. They shut down, it practically makes them explode.”

He looked so solemn and serious. I tried not to laugh. “Actually, diabetics go on this diet to help their kidneys. I know of several Type 2s who have gone off insulin altogether and at least one who was able to significantly reduce the amount they take. But, you know, Big Pharma really likes people to keep buying their drugs and insul–”

He shook his head and insisted, “No, no, no, my doctor said–”

Now, I’ll admit I zoned out at this point. Any doctor who tells their profoundly diabetic (and rather pale and pasty) patient that a ketogenic diet will make their organs explode is not worthy of my attention. Anyway, I was born with 2 1/2 kidneys (I have a special back-up kidney on the left side with double ureters) so if there had been any explosions, mine would definitely be loudest. I don’t think I could’ve missed that.

I grabbed my bags and asserted, “Just read the science not funded by the food industry, big pharma, or the USDA and you’ll find out what I’m talking about.”

“Oh!” he assured me with a smile, “I don’t believe anything my government tells me!”

I high-fived him to keep the peace and left, muttering to myself, “Oh, you sure the hell do, you just don’t realize it.”

I felt so bad for the guy but, you know, you gotta pick your battles. A guy who eats junk food and beer right after his injection isn’t ready to hear about bacon and freedom.

(Richard Cool) #2

It sounds like he was confusing ketosis with diabetic ketoacidosis.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #3

Sounds like his doctor was, too. Which is horrifying under the circumstances.

Yeah, it’s a mixed bag of emotions…sad, angry, deflated…gotta keep your chin up. Next time he sees you, it’s another possible opportunity for a conversation. Messages are delivered in baby steps sometimes.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #5

I dunno, there was a glassy, Doritos-induced look in his eyes that said, “I’m stickin’ to my crutches, thank you very much.” I’ve seen that look before. I have a big mirror in the living room.

Well, you did the right thing by high fiving, not burning any bridges…keeps future open for opportunities just in case…so, good job with that! :+1:

(Patrick B.) #7

As @carl says, change your doctor or change your doctor.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #8

Oooo, good one, @carl.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #9

Well, fuck me, it happened again. I’m becoming a lightning rod for SAD-eatin’ good ol’ boys. I’m chatting with a friend who works at the grocery store growler station (Portland takes its microbrews very seriously) and, as usual, a small group accumulates around our conversation and laughter. Also, they give free samples.

A guy tall enough to change streetlights and thin enough to hide behind the pole pipes up, “Well, you know, calories in, calories out, it’s all about–”

I cut him off faster than a New York taxicab, “No. Science disproved that a long time ago.”

My tone of voice must’ve caused some shrinkage because he sputtered a bit, backpedaled, and changed the subject. Amazing how powerful you feel when you’re soundly educated.