Gained weight 1st week, what the heck?

(shelley) #21

So I did a macro counter, I should be at 65g fat, 65g protein and 11g carb (I am really pushing it). I am 5’2, 157 pounds and very inactive.

Typical day, breakfast 2 eggs, some cheese and a quarter avacado, lunch is some chicken with veggies (tomatoes, cucumbers). Dinner is either chicken, steak or fish (in olive oil with butter), 1/4 avacado, zucchini noodles with low carb salsa, parmesan cheese,
olives. Snack either nuts or Greek high fat yogurt with berries. I usually have one coffee a day with 18% fat cream.

(Cindy) #22

Shelley, you’re adding in fat, but since you want to lose weight, as long as you’re NOT hungry, cut back on the fat sources. I see cheese, avocado, olive oil with butter, more avo and cheese, then olives.

It would also be best if you can cut out the snack, nuts and berries, maybe even the yogurt (depending on # of carbs).

As for the carbs, I think you still might be getting too many. You’re getting carbs in the cheese (not many), avo, veggies (tomatoes are high in carbs), zucchini, salsa, then some in the nuts and berries and the cream.

At least in the beginning, don’t count NET carbs, but TOTAL carbs. That will limit how much veg you eat for sure.

I’m not saying you take those things out forever, but since you’re not currently losing weight, try to go to ZERO carbs as much as possible. Cut out the snack. If you’re hungry, eat protein and fat. Once your hunger is manageable, then cut back on the fat.

(Frank) #23

That adds up to about 950 calories which is a significant deficit even for your activity level. My advice is to reset your macros and overall calories at a “no weight loss” setting until you get fat adapted. Typical timeframe for this to happen is 4-6 weeks maybe longer. It is my opinion that your body went right into conservation mode with this caloric deficit and this is why you may not be getting the desired results. Eat more now to lose more later.

(Cynthia ) #24

I don’t understand what unthinking she should be eating. I am not losing either and though we aren’t supposed to count calories I usually only get 500-700. If I eat more I will blow my macros. This is really confusing. Maybe for some it is easy but while I thought I understood I am just getting more confused.

(Cynthia ) #25

Sorry about the typos and inserted words

(mole person) #26

@Cjb2 What sort of foods are you eating? It’s not really hard to get the macros close if you are able to eat fatty meats and eggs.

Here is a day for me. I eat one meal a day excluding my coffee:

4 coffees with heavy whipping cream (this is my main vice and it contains 8 carbs for all that creamy goodness)
A chicken leg quarter with all it’s fat on top.
Three breakfast sausages
some 10% yogurt and some aged havarti cheese as a side.
A couple of tablespoons of home made bbq sauce.

the day’s final macros are:
Carbs: 12.2g/20g
Fat: 93.6g/103g
Protein:49.4g/50g
calories: 1110

As you can see there is plenty of carbohydrate space left to add some vegetables especially if one didn’t drink their carbs in cream which is not a good habit.

My protein and fat that day were pretty dead on perfect but I never count anything. So most days I’m a bit over or under. My protein varies the most. Some days it’s 35 grams and some days it’s 65 grams. This is almost always related to how lean the meat I’m eating is. Leaner meats tend to lead to higher protein consumption. But don’t sweat any of that. Track only to learn how to eat and then to watch for real problems (such as my cream issue).

Don’t kick yourself or even care if you eat 20 grams of extra protein sometimes. The most important thing by far is the learn how to control those carbs. Get them down to 20g or less.

Also, remember, you do NOT need to consume your full fat macro. That’s only there so you have a source of energy to replace the carbs you’ve lost. But that energy is also stored ALL over your body. So if you aren’t hungry don’t eat extra fat. It means that your body is happy getting it’s energy from your own fat so you don’t want to offer it another source.

(Cynthia ) #27

Thank you so much. :grinning:

(Cynthia ) #28

What is 10% yogurt? What breakfast sausage. I feel full but have no energy:confused: Since I don’t weigh, become too obsessive, I don’t know if I have lost weight but have not lost any inches. I guess if my health stays ok I will keep trying.

(Sharlena Foster ) #29

Don’t get discouraged so easily. Not every person’s body is metabolically same, and it may be the case that your body belongs to the type that loses weight slowly. I would suggest you should keep your faith and consistency and keep moving ahead with your diet plan. To speed up the process, you can do these things (in case you’re not following these yet):

• Exercise on an empty stomach. And ramp up your physical activity. This will accelerate the depletion of the stocked glucose in the form of glycogen and triacylglycerol in your body tissues.
• Cut out refined carbs like sugar before you fully enter into ketosis.
• You can also try a complete water diet that will speed up the getting into ketosis.
• And, of course, minimize your carb consumption. You should avoid going on “zero-carb” as an excess of ketones (as a result of ketosis) in your body can develop some skin conditions like breakouts or acne.

Hope it’s helpful!

(mole person) #30

The one I use is called Liberte Mediterranee Yogurt plain 10% MF but I’m sure there are others. This might be a Canadian brand. Similarly my sausage is a Canadian brand. Maple Leaf original pork breakfast sausage. However, when I buy sausages I just look at the nutritional information, I always want very low carb, like 1 g per serving, and lots of fat. I like the grams of fat to be significantly higher than protein such as 15g of fat to 8 grams of protein in a 50g serving of my sausages. In fact that’s how I pick most of my packaged foods. I hunt the meat, cheese and deli sections for the foods that come closest to 30g of fat per 100 grams and try them all to see what I love.

(Scott) #31

Focus on keeping carbs low, real low and ignore calories. Add only enough fat to feel full with no snacking. Let that start to settle in over several weeks to start fat adaption. Weight may fluctuate during this time but don’t sweat that. After you are fat adapted (about two months) the only number you may want to tweak is lowering fat a bit especially if like me you have been adding extra fat. The one thing you don’t want to do is to go back to the MFP model of limiting calories to create a deficit. A calorie deficit is the signal for the body to lower metabolism to preserve weight loss.

Also men lose weight faster than women. I lost weight very fast for the first 20 pounds and stopped for three months. I just watched and waited as nothing happened. I then deleted the following from my breakfast: MCT oil in coffee, heavy whipping cream in eggs, cheese in eggs and instead of sausage and bacon daily I now have one or the other. That’s it, one minor reduction in fat but it broke a stall. I still have plenty of fat with no hunger issues and best of all no calorie counting! The point here is I give it time before I made a small change. As long as you are not rapidly gaining weight stay on plan and go slow. KCKO